Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: any overclockers here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default any overclockers here?

Anyone overclock here? if so what are your system specks?

I am kinda stuck untill I get some sftermarket cooling. I am thanking water this go round for much lower temps.

my system

asus striker extreme
q6600 Go stepping model Quad 2.4ghz OC'ed to 3.0Ghz @ 1.36Vcore (stable but hot)

4X1 gb OCZ reaper ddr2 800mhz Ram timed at 4-4-4-10 1T @ 2.1V

ANyone know what safe north and southbridge volatages would be? is there and benifit to overvolting the NB&SB?
Dubs Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

i have a g0 stepping q6600 but my mobo sucks (680i "thumbsdown") so i am only at 2.7 with only minor voltage change and fsb change.

changing your nb sb voltages help aid in being stable but since you are already stable at 3 ghz you should be fine.

i run a 6 disk raid 0 set up with 40 gig hard drives 2 9800 gx2's and corsair xms2 ram (just ddr 2 )

i built it about a year ago and it was the fastest set up you could get. still runs everything amazingly.

i idle at about 18 - 19 c though i have a cooler master cosmos 1000 case painted olive drab and a cooler master gemini 2 on the cpu with two 120's on it. for my power supply i have a ultra x3 1000 watt.
ian48065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
RCC Addict

meh.
off the top of my head:
C2D E6600 2.4ghz o/c to 3.33ghz
Corsair 550vx 550w
Asus P5K SE
Artic Cooling
Sapphire HD4850
All inside of:
Raidmax ATX-928WB
Mouse: Logitech G9
Keyboard: Logitech g15 (old blue style)
19" LCD Dell that i got for free, too bad it can't refresh quick enough to keep up with fps. Heck not many monitors can.
dont remember my ram right now.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

cool. I think i upped my northbridge to 1.4V to get some stability. is the board temp it shows in bios the NB temp? I thought i read soemwhere it was. It is hot though. I have a tuniq tower on the way that should solve the heat problems.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I got bored with that stuff. Was more expensive than RC's.

Ised to have an AMD 2.0Ghz system that I ramped up to 3.2Ghz. Blazing fast at the time, but it was just a desktop and not a gaming rig. So that added speed was very nice.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Ha funny i have way more $ in RC's than my pc. I just build mine to save money and have a better pc system.
98% of the people surfing this forum have spent way more money buying their pre built pc than i have.
I didn't build mine to run two screens, do a defrage, play 2 different games at the sametime, while surfing rcc and watching a movie. I don't see the point.

The way i see it:
Why pay $1,500 for an okay desktop from dell/hp when you can build something much better for half the price? Or better yet why pay $3,000 for an apple that you can build for 1/3 of the price.

I don't build them as a hobby, althought it was fun. I wanted to save money and have a nice powerful, reliable gaming system that can get the maximum perf. out of any game/program.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

^ Funny I see it the opposite. Yes you can build a custom computer for cheap, but if overall performance isn't much of an issue, why go through the hassle? My current PC is a custom one and I'm just tired of it. Specs are a year or two old, but it runs fine. I'm looking into a latop for my next system, mainly for the noise and size factor. Over the years, even with larger fans on controllers, I have begun to HATE desktops. Too big and noisy.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

wow, I have about $2300 in mine. but i did build it as a gaming rig that can run 2 screens one with all monitoring tools while the other is playing a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk379 View Post
Ha funny i have way more $ in RC's than my pc. I just build mine to save money and have a better pc system.
98% of the people surfing this forum have spent way more money buying their pre built pc than i have.
I didn't build mine to run two screens, do a defrage, play 2 different games at the sametime, while surfing rcc and watching a movie. I don't see the point.

The way i see it:
Why pay $1,500 for an okay desktop from dell/hp when you can build something much better for half the price? Or better yet why pay $3,000 for an apple that you can build for 1/3 of the price.

I don't build them as a hobby, althought it was fun. I wanted to save money and have a nice powerful, reliable gaming system that can get the maximum perf. out of any game/program.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Helping a buddy build one right now, 4 2gb sticks g-skill 6300 8gb total, elite-group black series mother board, 2 MSI 4830 graphics cards, enermax galaxy 1000w power supply, 3.0 phenom quad core processor, Hmmm I think all thats left for him to buy is liquid cooling and an OS, and it all in an antec nine hundred two case
5150 Krawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Soya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

hey you other guys with the antec nine hundred case, does your's sound like a freaking jet taking off? Mine is loud. I am getting tired of the noise. hopefully with the tuniq tower i can turn down some of my fans. or atleast turn on the q controll for them.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
Custom Carbon Fiber

the problem with gaming rigs is once you build it something better comes out in 6 months and your outdated. not only that once you get your system up and running it seems blazing fast but once you plug the internet into it everything gets slower over time so you feel the need for newer stuff.

i can see RC's being cheaper, chips that were 300 last year are now 100$. i got my 300gig HD 2 years ago for 250$ .... now I can buy 1T drives for 130$

so glad I got out of the competitive gaming and back into RC's, my bank account is happier too.

WC is great but you have to maintain it well. proper pump plus radiator to give you the best flow rate. to fast and it wont have time to absord the heat and to slow youll just boil the water. ive built alot of WC rigs and will say dont go with one of those all in one kits, youll just upgrade later and waste your money in the beginning.

to answer though I cant say safe values on voltage but yes theres always a benefit of uping it a little bit. SB is what talks to your VC ...... NB funnels the info from the SB to the CPU ...... every little bit helps and just watch your temps.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote