Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: A video the whole world should see....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default A video the whole world should see....

I'm not sure if i would classify this as "work safe" or not. But you do need to confirm a birth date.

Needless to say, I stopped answering my phone after this while driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NiZBNNztl0
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Peoples attitudes towards driving a car are ridiculous.

Nothing would piss me off more than finding out the person that killed someone I knew (or me..) because they were talking on the phone or driving drunk etc etc.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've never been one to call out when driving, but have decided to received a few of ones that could be important.

I can't imagine the lack of responsibility to actually text and drive though.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I saw a guy texting while riding a harley !!!!
Crawlin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I can't imagine the lack of responsibility to actually text and drive though.
Is it any different than unfolding and reading a road map? Or putting on makeup, eating something messy while changing the radio station, watching TV, yelling at other drivers etc? People have been doing this kind of shit for years. I think driving under the influence should include all of these offenses and more.

Some years ago I kinda cut a guy off. Really, he sped up when I turned my blinker on, so I went anyway. He got along side me and started hollering and flipping me off, then traffic stopped and he plowed into the guy in front of him. It was poetic justice at it's finest, but I sure felt sorry for the guy he hit. That kind of thing is no different than drinking and driving, they should throw the book at people like that.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Is it any different than unfolding and reading a road map? Or putting on makeup, eating something messy while changing the radio station, watching TV, yelling at other drivers etc?

That video is more directed to Teens.
But i mean, the teens seem to not know the actual dangers of the roads, and that they are driving a 2ton missile down the road!
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
Suck it up!

Quote:
Some years ago I kinda cut a guy off. Really, he sped up when I turned my blinker on, so I went anyway. He got along side me and started hollering and flipping me off, then traffic stopped and he plowed into the guy in front of him. It was poetic justice at it's finest, but I sure felt sorry for the guy he hit. That kind of thing is no different than drinking and driving, they should throw the book at people like that.
I had the exact same thing happen to me, except in reverse. Someone pulled out in front of me, so I honked, went around, and returned to my original lane. Apparently this pissed the girl driving off so badly that she felt that she and her freind in the passenger seat needed to catch up, get along side me, and scream obsenities at me. I started braking for the stopped traffic ahead of me, they didn't, and plowed right into the back of a pickup.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post
That video is more directed to Teens.
But i mean, the teens seem to not know the actual dangers of the roads, and that they are driving a 2ton missile down the road!

Weird thing is I see more adults using cell phones while driving then I do teens.

I almost got hit well walking across an intersection legally by a guy driving a corvette over the speed limit and while he was on his cell phone. I was thinking damn i wouldn't mind having that corvette if he hits me. lol

Last edited by Rc_Kid; 09-01-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Rc_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is it any different than unfolding and reading a road map? Or putting on makeup, eating something messy while changing the radio station, watching TV, yelling at other drivers etc? People have been doing this kind of shit for years. I think driving under the influence should include all of these offenses and more.

I think the big issue is younger folks--who don't have really much experiance behind the wheel are texting while driving and this is something thats only going to get worse...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
Who's your Daddy-0!

I-20 and I-75 and I-85 downtown Atlanta Ga. you will see people reading the news paper driving 70+mph! I'm not kidding you! Like opened up like you would read it at home in your recliner!

In some states it is illegal to use you cell in your car while driving now I think? Let me use the Google search button and see what I can find......

It was a long video though! I don't think that kind of stuff works really. I remember in high school them doing the smashed up car with kids in makeup like they were in a DUI accident in the front of the school. Most kids just say "It won't happen to me"

But if it saves just one life then it's worth it.....
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
I-20 and I-75 and I-85 downtown Atlanta Ga. you will see people reading the news paper driving 70+mph! I'm not kidding you! Like opened up like you would read it at home in your recliner!

In some states it is illegal to use you cell in your car while driving now I think? Let me use the Google search button and see what I can find......

It was a long video though! I don't think that kind of stuff works really. I remember in high school them doing the smashed up car with kids in makeup like they were in a DUI accident in the front of the school. Most kids just say "It won't happen to me"

But if it saves just one life then it's worth it.....
Yes it is illegal to drive and use your cell phone in some states, I think Oregon is one of them?

They do that car thing at my high school they go to the parents and tell them their kid was killed in an accident and the kids spend the night at a hotel, they put up cardboard tombstones in the front with a smashed up car on the side walk, and the kids dress up like ghosts, I just like looking at the car.
Rc_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc_Kid View Post
Yes it is illegal to drive and use your cell phone in some states, I think Oregon is one of them?

They do that car thing at my high school they go to the parents and tell them their kid was killed in an accident and the kids spend the night at a hotel, they put up cardboard tombstones in the front with a smashed up car on the side walk, and the kids dress up like ghosts, I just like looking at the car.
Washington is another--but watching people here you would never know...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I've seen the magazine and book readers but I'll never forget the day I saw a lady crocheting a sweater
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

They are starting to pass laws banning cell phone use (all types of use) around here. For now, it's only in school zones....but hey, at least it's a start. I hate seeing people using their phones while driving...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

There have been distracted drivers for as long as there hav e been radios and passenger seats in cars. The larger problem is the American attitude that driving is a "right" and not a "privilege". It is entirely too easy for a person to get and keep a license here...what is a high school semester, 5 months? So you spend 5 months learning the rules of the road and supervised driving in a Cavalier only to get your license and be turned loose in Mommy's Suburban. And you never have to go through driver's-ed again. Just stupid.

Cell phone use can be a problem, but IMO, it's just the latest activity that can be easily demonized, regulated, and have fines levied against you for. Wanna make the roads safer? Ban drive-thru windows.

/1.7 million mile commercial driver rant.

Last edited by Pete from Houston; 09-02-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Pete from Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I agree everyone should watch this, wow.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I just don't get what is so ****ing important that they have to talk about.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Is this any different the a pedestrian texting only to walk out into traffic and getting hit. More common now than you would think.

Common sense is not so common.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Give them a choice of losing their license PERMANENTLY or losing their thumbs..... I've damn near walked into people while I was texting and walking, when I first heard about the texting and driving thing I couldn't believe anyone would be that stupid. Of course, over here the car GPS navigation systems also get television. There is a lockout that prevents the picture from showing while the car is in motion, but a few bucks at any shady electronics store and they'll take that out for you.

-val
LAV25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #20

While texting or talking on the phone may not be "any different" than eating or whatever else someone is doing, the real point being made by this video is to be SAFE when driving. Teens are not the only ones using cell phone while driving, adults are just as guilty if not more so.

I'd like to see this commercial aired all over the world where anyone with a TV can see it. Even if it makes only a small handful of people WAKE UP and realize the dangers of not concentrating on driving, then its worth it.

Doesn't matter if you are using a cell phone, eating, reading, applying make-up, changing your clothes (seen it being done once), fiddling with the radio, dropping something and reaching to pick it up, changing a CD, making out with the passenger (leaning over to kiss someone - I see this from time to time) ....WHATEVER takes your focus off of driving, the bottom line is that anything you do that is not related to safely operating your vehicle, you are taking a chance of putting other drivers AND their passengers at risk.

I think most, if not all of us, have been guilty of doing "other things" while driving, at least once in our lives. :?
03libertysport is offline   Reply With Quote