Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Been gone a while.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
06 Super National Champ

Default Been gone a while.

Been busy with the move and all, been sick the past week or so and finally took pictures of the TJ after it got fixed.

I spun a bearing at the right rear corner which did it's best to destroy the axle shaft and axle housing on that corner.

Since there are wheel spacers at each corner and I had to replace at least one axle shaft and axle tube I decided to ditch the wheel spacers, go to new, longer axle tubes, and have new shafts made by Moser.

Took it to Jimmy at Essentially Off-Road in Murfreesboro, TN.

Jimmy gave me a price of $500 to remove the old axle tubes and install new ones!

So I had him go ahead and set up a triangulated 4-link so I could ditch the non-triangulated four link with track bar that was on the thing (5.5" Rubicon Express long arm kit) $250 to do the 4-link!

He also had to set up the new ring and pinion (chipped teeth on the old pinion) and charged me $225 for that.

So he broke down the axle to nothing but the pumpkin, installed new tube, new flanges, made the truss for the 4-link (that ties into the pad on top of the Tera 60 housing), made the links, installed coil perches, shock mounts, etc...for less than $1000!

Not bad considering built 60s that are a drop-in for a Jeep will run about $7,500 each.

The stock sway bar has been re-used but the Jeep rides fine without it. I'll probably go to a Currie Anti-Rock on the rear (love the one on the front) so the stocker won't get hung up like I know it will.

So anyway, here's a few pics. If you guys need work done and you're on the East Coast definitely look up EOR.

Nothing to do with Jimmy, but the new Moser shafts.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 09-10-2009 at 08:15 AM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Donkey Punch Champion!

I thought you painted it ALL yellow to be cool?

Looks good, I am guessing you have all your "issues" taken care of now? From the horror story I was told I am happy to see it all in one piece. Now get to the mall damn it, mandatory flex shot.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
06 Super National Champ

I wheeled it "broken" and the folks I was with couldn't believe it was going where it was.

One of the guys that knows me was amazed I had it out when it wasn't 100%. When I told the guys it was broke they thought it was fawked.

"That's not like Jason. Normally if his stuff isn't tip-top it stays in the trailer or at home. He won't bring it out unless it's 100%"

...and no. I'm not ready for the full yellow treatment.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. One thing that would concern me in the rear truss/hoop for the rear upper links. You "really" want it tied into the center section of the diff. I have seen a couple, and had one customer rig I was finishing up and getting ready to test the next day. The rear truss that I did not do--failed under a hard throttle and I ended up pulling a late nighter, rebuilt the truss and tied it into the center section. It left shortly for so-cal and has been hanging at the hammers even since...

Just something to keep an eye on (check paint on welded areas on axle tubes for fatigue)....
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Damn...that's a helluva good deal! Especially on that gear install....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Nice high pinnion!
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'm sure it'll go over those curbs at the mall real easy now.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I prefer plated trusses myself. But Crashfab brings up a valid point.

Sounds like you got a decent deal though. Was the new exhaust included in the cost of the 4 link???
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Next thing to upgrade.....gas tank skid! Those stock skids are like tin foil. I destroyed quite a few of them before I built one...

You should look into the new skid made by Savvy Offroad. Lightweight skid made from aluminum.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

welcome back, glad your feeling better, ay cool pics !
and as the saying goes...
" it used to be a jeep thing, but all that shit broke "
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
Looks good. One thing that would concern me in the rear truss/hoop for the rear upper links. You "really" want it tied into the center section of the diff. I have seen a couple, and had one customer rig I was finishing up and getting ready to test the next day. The rear truss that I did not do--failed under a hard throttle and I ended up pulling a late nighter, rebuilt the truss and tied it into the center section. It left shortly for so-cal and has been hanging at the hammers even since...

Just something to keep an eye on (check paint on welded areas on axle tubes for fatigue)....

It is tied to the center section of the diff.

If you haven't seen a Tera60 in person you won't understand how it's tied into the housing. There's a pad on top of the housing for four bolts and a plate. You can make an upper 4-link plate and just bolt the plate to the housing and attach your links. The problem with that is that it's possible to rip shit apart if you rely on just the bolts. The way this is set up is solid. The truss is welded to the tubes, to the plate, and the plate is bolted to the pad on the diff housing. I stopped short of welding the plate to the pad - figured that it wasn't needed with the truss in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
Nice high pinnion!
Tera60. Strength of a 60, clearance of a 44.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Damn...that's a helluva good deal! Especially on that gear install....
Yeah, it'll be $1,500 to remove the tubes from the front, get rid of the wheel spacers, and go with a triangulated 4-link like I did on the rear. Then it'll be time for coil-overs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupers View Post
I'm sure it'll go over those curbs at the mall real easy now.
If not I'll use the winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
I prefer plated trusses myself. But Crashfab brings up a valid point.

Sounds like you got a decent deal though. Was the new exhaust included in the cost of the 4 link???
Yeah, the "new" exhaust is getting redone. I called Jimmy and told him to let the exhaust shop that did the work know that I'll be bringing it back. They changed where the exhaust exits and I'm not a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Next thing to upgrade.....gas tank skid! Those stock skids are like tin foil. I destroyed quite a few of them before I built one...

You should look into the new skid made by Savvy Offroad. Lightweight skid made from aluminum.
GenRight fuel cell is in the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
welcome back, glad your feeling better, ay cool pics !
and as the saying goes...
" it used to be a jeep thing, but all that shit broke "
I think I can count the stock Jeep parts on one hand.

Hood, windshield, grille, tailgate, fuel tank.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
I thought that was for lassoing and hauling in mall ass.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupers View Post
I thought that was for lassoing and hauling in mall ass.

Not sure the wife would approve.

(she has a better ass than most, anyway )
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That'll work. GenRight makes some bad ass jeep parts...
Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It is tied to the center section of the diff.

If you haven't seen a Tera60 in person you won't understand how it's tied into the housing. There's a pad on top of the housing for four bolts and a plate. You can make an upper 4-link plate and just bolt the plate to the housing and attach your links. The problem with that is that it's possible to rip shit apart if you rely on just the bolts. The way this is set up is solid. The truss is welded to the tubes, to the plate, and the plate is bolted to the pad on the diff housing. I stopped short of welding the plate to the pad - figured that it wasn't needed with the truss in place.

Tera60. Strength of a 60, clearance of a 44.

Yeah, it'll be $1,500 to remove the tubes from the front, get rid of the wheel spacers, and go with a triangulated 4-link like I did on the rear. Then it'll be time for coil-overs.

Yeah, the "new" exhaust is getting redone. I called Jimmy and told him to let the exhaust shop that did the work know that I'll be bringing it back. They changed where the exhaust exits and I'm not a fan.

I think I can count the stock Jeep parts on one hand.

Hood, windshield, grille, tailgate, fuel tank.
I am quite familure with the tera 60--the pictures are poor angles of your setup(and lack of info). I myself have HP pro-rock 60's under my rig--mine have more clearance

Wasn't trying to put your stuff down--just making an observation from a rabricators view
Old 09-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #16
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
just making an observation from a rabricators view
[scooby]ruh-roh, raggy![/scooby]

For what I do and what I'll get into these Teras are plenty. They're not the latest and greatest - and there are newer generations of 60s out there, but these will go anywhere I'd need them to.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Shoulda figured. Knowing how JIA is in general with regards to building things and the fact that he carries his kids in that thing.

Sounds solid Jason.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
[scooby]ruh-roh, raggy![/scooby]

For what I do and what I'll get into these Teras are plenty. They're not the latest and greatest - and there are newer generations of 60s out there, but these will go anywhere I'd need them to.
No--they are a good product and hold up well--and the 4 bolt platform on them is extreemly helpfull. They should treat you right plus having a HP in the rear will keep the driveshaft out of the dirt and somewhat protected. Hell if I am hitting either one of my driveshafts--I am not in a good position,lol....
Old 09-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
No--they are a good product and hold up well--and the 4 bolt platform on them is extreemly helpfull. They should treat you right plus having a HP in the rear will keep the driveshaft out of the dirt and somewhat protected. Hell if I am hitting either one of my driveshafts--I am not in a good position,lol....
Pretty much.

It's like I told Jimmy when we were debating whether or not to weld that plate to the housing.

"If I get into a situation where I might rip the axle off I've got bigger things to worry about"
Old 09-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Pretty much.

It's like I told Jimmy when we were debating whether or not to weld that plate to the housing.

"If I get into a situation where I might rip the axle off I've got bigger things to worry about"
so true---shits going "sideways" at that point--quite literrally

I have a danatrak truss on the rear of mine, but its just there to hold the truss I made, but rest is all tied together and then also welded to the axle tubes. Been beating on it for like 5 years now. Nutin like a linked rig compared to silly leafs