Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: finally got me another truck...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default finally got me another truck...

...after a long time without one. One of my good friends recently moved from Utah to Charlotte NC and felt he had no more use for this beast. He practically gave it to me, I paid for some repairs to make it road-worthy for the trip back (new tie-rods, full tune-up, all fluids changed incl. axles, some other stuff) He's a long-haul trucker, so it barely got driven while he owned it. (It did a lot of sitting around, which can be worse for a vehicle than actually abusing it sometimes)

1995 Range Rover Classic w/ a 4.2 liter V8. 141K miles on the clock. A little rusty here and there, but overall very solid.

I picked this truck up just for the cargo space, so I can carry my very expensive mountain bike w/o it being out on a rack waiting to be stolen, and have more room to carry other toys like longboards, RC trucks, etc. Not knowing much about Landies, I crawled underneath for a look. I was pleasantly surprised at how it's set up. First off, it sports solid axles front and rear, 4-linked with coil springs (I think? The upper "links" are actually a solid Y-shaped "yoke" looking assembly. And I thought these things had independant suspension. Surprise!!) The air bag system and sway bars were removed by a previous owner. Having a fork-lift at my disposal, I could'nt resist performing a little flex-test and taking a poser pic. 17 1/2" of articulation with the stock springs and stock ride height seems pretty impressive to me, I don't know:

Now that I've learned this much about it I'm thinking it may turn out to be more than a toy-hauler. It's going to be another toy. About all it really needs is new tires, unless I decide to lift it a couple inches. I don't want it to get dangerous on the road though, it seems to drive fine now (despite warnings from my friend to "be careful on the highway" it seems no more tippy or wallowy than any other truck I've owned, even w/o the sway bars)

Anyone else have one of these??

Last edited by Big Mike; 09-11-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Nice find, the solid axled Range Rovers probably have the best mix of comfort and capability of any 4x4 old or new. A friend of mine has an older 2 door model with a Perkins diesel engine and 32" tyres on it that's just awesome off road and still very good on road.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

^ times a million.

Id love to score an early mid-90s Rover. I loved my 02 Cherokee, which is a simular sized/capable vehicle, abiet maybe a tad smaller.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #4

Nice rig! Looks pretty impressive to me.

You'll have to let us know if you take her out and get her dirty!
03libertysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I thought I was going to see a new SCX10

Nice new Daily Driver
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Very nice! I love Range Rovers.
AeroSynch is offline   Reply With Quote