Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Any BBQ Smokers Here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Any BBQ Smokers Here?

Just found out a couple of days ago that they make a side/smoker box for my Char Griller grill, so I headed out to Lowes this morning to pick one up. My grill has seen it's better days, but I couldn't justify $130 for a new one. After leaving Lowes, I headed next door to Kroger for some ribs and possibly a chicken. Walk into Kroger, and they have my grill on sale for $75 with a card. I could justify that!!

I have had a rack and shoulder portions on for about 3.5 hours now, and I am addicted to this!! I smoke a turkey every t-giving, but that is with an electric bullet smoker, and this is night and day. Definitely going to try to smoke at least one meal a weekend from now on.

Any experienced smokers out there with some tips (or sauce/marinade recipes) they want to share? Maintaining temp has been my biggest challenge so far.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

HUGE BBQ fan!! My Dad has worked with a champion BBQ team lead by John Willingham (Google him) I have one of his cook-books and have made a good number of the things in it and have yet to find anything I don't like!! We have smoked a Turkey if the weather is good enough here in Co. But a majority of the smokin' we do is in the summer. I am no master but it's hard to not do a good job when your smokin'. Here is a link to the book my Dad gave me...
http://www.amazon.com/John-Willingha.../dp/0688132871

I think Badger has showed an interest at one time in smokin' meat...
He certainly knows his way around a cheese dog!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

to keep the heat up. dont look at it every 15 minutes.keep the cover closed.not only does it let the heat out but all the smoke.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Dinner's almost done!!
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice I don't get hungry often reading RCC posts but this post triggered my appetite.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Droooooool! We just got back from a 4 day weekend with some friends... Went to Bear Lake in Utah and my wifes "BFF" made ribs on the regular grill GASP! And I had a tough time gnawin' the dang things off the bone... So I guess I will have to show the new neighbors how it's REALLY DONE!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Supra made a 55-gallon drum smoker 8 years ago that gets some pretty heavy use. Like yourself, the past 8 Thanksgivings have been smokey-birds, including gumbo stuffed Cajun turkey.

For marinades, Emeril Lagasse's "Funky Bird" is excellent. The marinade, after the bird goes on the grille, gets placed in a wok directly over the coals to further steam/flavor the bird.

Supra's rib-rub (4 years in development) includes the following. Actual quantities are proprietary, but are in order of quantity.
lots of raw dark brown sugar (coarse crystals)
paprika
garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
curry powder
corriander
Lawry's seasoned salt
celery salt
cinnamon
sage

Beef and lamb often get:
worchestershire sauce
butter
lemon
black pepper
garlic powder
onion powder

Choices of wood have been:
hickory
mesquite
oak
plumb
suprachrgd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Thanks for the rub supra! I just kinda grabbed a bunch of seasonings until it smelled like I wanted. Now a basis to work off of.

My first two lessons learned yesterday:

I kinda knew this, but didn't have the time yesterday............cook it until it is overdone. All the meat was cooked, but not falling easy to pull off the bone cooked.

It is possible to over-smoke. Being my first time with charcoal and just wood, if I didn't see smoke barreling out of the cooker, I threw more wood on. the ribs ended up completely red on the inside, and the smoke taste overwhelmed the taste of the meat completely. The shoulder parts were about the same story.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yeah it is possible to over-smoke but it really depends on your taste. I usually just fill the smoke box all the way full of water soaked chips. It will usually smoke strong for about 1-1.5 hours which seems to be good for what I like.

Award winning ribs are not supposed to fall off the bone. But that's a competition thing. For backyard eating I like them to fall off. Try the foil/cooler/paperbag technique to get them to fall off the bone.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have a grill made form a stainless 55 gallon drum. A good friend of mine is a welder and fabbed it up for me. I cook on it all the time. I'll find some pics He has one that he tows for catering, all stainless!!
FL Knifemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I love my SMOKER!!! I use it at least 3 x's a week!
I smoke turkey breat, whole chickens, fish/salmon, ribs of course and tri tip!
I try differnt things all the time, I sometimes soak my hickory woodchips in whiskey (Southren Comfort seems to be the best) or even appricot brandy, and boy what a flavor!
Let me know if you guys have a killer jerky reciepe... I havent made jerky yet on the smoker I have now but its time!
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

oops...

Can't forget the local favorite: Beer-in-the-butt-chicken
suprachrgd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Here's the first pit I built:

This thing was setup perfectly for smoking. Nice box, adjustable settings between the box and the pit and an adjustable stack.

Sadly, I sold it right after the first BBQ.

I plan to build another if I come across another piece of pipe that size.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Well..............

I found the pic of my stainless propane fish fryer In this pic it had just arrived. My buddy made two and we sold one on eBay. It has two hand made burners in the bottom and will fry a TON of fish in no time. It's built like a tank. He also made me a mailbox and 300lb stainless square tubing post to put it on. I've got a big turkey frying pot that I rolled up and he weld for me.

I'll find pics of my grill and hopefully the big grill he made.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

This is a little "tailgating" grill that he made. It's not mine, I wish it was :-P

Again, all stainless, should last several lifetimes
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the addiction Robb. Read this website carefully for the best recipes' ever thought up on Gods green Earth.
Usmc8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #17
Winner of the '07 RCC dumbass award!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc8541 View Post
Welcome to the addiction Robb. Read this website carefully for the best recipes' ever thought up on Gods green Earth.

I'm drooling reading that website....

Damn, now i have to fire up the charcoal in my inferior grill because I am so hungry!

Anyone have any ideas on a small BBQ/smoker for a 3 person family?
Something to get started with... Something you have used or know to be of decent quality would be great!

My friend used to smoke in a huge food cart the school district threw away.
thing was like 7 feet tall and 3 and half feet wide!

I could smell it from my house and I was miles away!

WC
WheelChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

This is the guys blog, he gives techniques to set up a smoker if you have no room for a big one or an expensive one.
Usmc8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I found a pic of my friends big grill/smoker. He build the entire thing himself. He's one hell of a TIG welder ;) Mine looks like this one minus the firebox and smoking chamber, just the 55 gallon drum...........and no wheels
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Here's another cool little grill I wish was was mine. The same guy built this from a stainless Bud keg. He sold it for $1600.
Attached Images