Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Taking bets... 1:1 related....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Taking bets... 1:1 related....

Saturday I will be installing my new tires for my Toyota. I thought I'd just see who on RCC thinks that they will fit.....

Here's a short story:

At first my DD Toyota had 31's on it. They were fine but with 4.56 gears the V6 revved a bit high for me. I then tossed on some 33's, people at my work didn't think that they'd fit only becasue they are brainwashed to think that if you want to fit larger than stock tires you need a lift(right!). The 33's fit with no problem, no rubbing or anything, plenty of room in stock trim. Now that I have 2 of the 33's wasted(few holes, chunks of tread gone) I feel like I need new meats on the DD.....

I picked up some 35x10.5 SSR's to fill the need(better price than anything online and local shop had them on hand). I think that the truck will still be DD worthy even with the 35's and 4.56 gears but we'll see, I might have to pony up for 4.88's soon .

Here's the bet/questions....

Who thinks I can fit the 35's without a lift? Who thinks I'm just crazy?

The current tires, 33x10.5 Swamper Radials are stated to be 32.7" tall and 7.9" wide... The new tires, 35x10.5 SSR's are stated to be 35" tall and 9" wide.

Here's how it looks now with the 33's...... Will it work?

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sawzall will make many a tire fit without a lift.
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
RCC Addict

youll have to be pretty damn lucky. in the rear they might fit just fine but in the front when you turn they might rub, you bearly have enough clearance as it is.

but what do i know, im just the retard of the site.

who wants to take bets that that ^ will make it into someones sig line.

and what where you driving in? it looks like your front tire is melting.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Back looks ok but the front might hit when doing a turn and it tries to stuff in the wheelwell. I prefered a nibbler to a sawzall when I cut out the wheelwells on my XJ. Both will work though.

Post up the pic when you are done.

Ed
NitroRC Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

toyo, we have the SAME truck, right down to the color. I put a 1 1/2" shackle in back and turned my torsion bars up in the front and I run 34 swampers and they rub on bump turns. LMK how it turns out.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

yes they will physically fit on the truck. But you are not only getting a taller tire but a wider tire. Which means they are going to rub when you turn hard and also
will not stuff up in the wheelwells. I had a friend try and do the samething with his truck. After a week of not being able to make a decent turn we got the trusty sawzall out and made a small 1" body lift and he is happy. But he doesnt really take it off road so it really never flexs to test how well they tuck away
donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I can't see the pic, but I'm assuming it's an early IFS yota (from the torsion bar comment)

Go for it. You can always add Balljoint Spacers and crank the Torsion bars, and/or sawzall.

I run 35s on my Tacoma with about 4" of lift, but I'm running Fiberglass front fenders.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I don't think they will fit. You were pushing it with you 33" tires. Plus the SSR are known to be soft tires. They will last you maybe 6 months and will chunk out bad. Especially if they are rubbing on your frame and fender walls. I'd go with a small 1 - 2 " body lift.

I vote that they don't work...(different then fit)

But go ahead and try it. Can't hurt to try and put the lift on later. You might prove me wrong.

Last edited by TJeeperMan; 12-09-2005 at 02:35 PM.
TJeeperMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
Powered by Awesome

if you dont have to flex and only go straight,... you should be fine
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Depends on the rims back spacing.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
RCC Addict

i dont think backspacing will do anything, well it will, but they will probably still rub
Old 12-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
i dont think backspacing will do anything, well it will, but they will probably still rub
STFU till you learn what your talking about please!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
RCC Addict

hey i wanted to feel cool : (
Old 12-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeeperMan
I don't think they will fit. You were pushing it with you 33" tires. Plus the SSR are known to be soft tires. They will last you maybe 6 months and will chunk out bad. Especially if they are rubbing on your frame and fender walls. I'd go with a small 1 - 2 " body lift.

I vote that they don't work...(different then fit)

But go ahead and try it. Can't hurt to try and put the lift on later. You might prove me wrong.

Lift? What's that?

I'd never install a IFS lift, waste of money. Next year the SAS is planned but I hope to keep the truck low. Hackster's Toyota sits pretty low and he's running Marlins 4" springs but they have sagged a bit. He has about 3-4" over my truck plus he's running 37" Krawlers....

I have no fear of cutting..... My wife even thinks that the 33's are too small She just wishes that the SSR's didn't cost so much, but she's very excited to see me make them fit
Old 12-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger
toyo, we have the SAME truck, right down to the color. I put a 1 1/2" shackle in back and turned my torsion bars up in the front and I run 34 swampers and they rub on bump turns. LMK how it turns out.

I was going to get some 34x9.5's but I have already had those, on my other Toyota...I really liked them for PNW wheelin'. I just kept blowing tire beads so it was either get beadlocks or change tires, I decided to switch tires

Small pictures but...(5 years ago)...

My old 34x9.5's at 5 psi.... about 5 minutes after this first picture I blew 3 of the 4 tires off the beads. SNow wheelin' on the 34's wasn't much fun, wet dirt and tight trails were much better.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #16
TEAM MODERATOR

Will they fit,yes. Will they rub,yes. You'll need a little cuttin to get rid of the rub.

If my little 4 popper will pull 35's with 4:56's,shurely your 3.0 will. Hell,I'm even gonna go with 38's and still run the 4:56's
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:37 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Brett, if anybody can make them fit and work, It'd be you. I think they will rub, but with a slight body lift (I have the urethane pucks right here for ya, for free even!) and cranking of the torsion bars it should work.

Careful of that Hackster. He, Vinney, and "those boys" will be the death of your purdy truck.

On a side note, can your wife call my wife and convince her 33's aren't big enough for a sami? I want to go 35's, but since I just bought an arb for the front, she doesn't want me spending more $$$$. But with the 4:1 case, and 4.62's it doesn't like the freeway.....35's would be so much better......
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman
Brett, if anybody can make them fit and work, It'd be you.

You bet I can!! So far I have onle lightly hammered down that seam inside the fender. No rubbing in the back and only slight rubbing up front while turning and wheel being compressed. I haven't touched the torsion bars yet. I doubt I will either. I have some of those Downey 26mm bars in the garage that were going to go on last year but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

(daytime pictures to come tomorrow, had to do some chores before I could snap decent lighted pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman
On a side note, can your wife call my wife and convince her 33's aren't big enough for a sami?

My wife thought that the 33's looked small. Only reply I got form here with these so far is, "Neat, those look a little bigger.... your son is crying." As you can tell, she doesn't really see these as being big. The measure out to be a nice 35" tall.

More pictures to come!
Old 12-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

are the 33's any good? if so, PM or e-mail me, I'll try em on my stocker 93' toy.

beepee73@bresnan.net
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:38 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I have the 3.0 on my yota with 36x14.50's with 4.10's and a v6 5 speed and it works, but starting out in 1st sucks. Once you get the rpm's up its fine. And 5th gear is worthless.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote