Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: maybe get a new nitro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default maybe get a new nitro

I just sold my revo 3.3. not sure why, but i priced it to a friend and he bought it. I had a previos 2.5 revo prior to it and really liked both but i figured it since i sold it, maybe i would get something else. I have been looking at the slayer. How is it compared to the revo? I want 4wd so i dont know if i just want to get another new revo or change to something else. I have not bought anything new in a couple of years so i am not up on the new nitro stuff.
AWILLIAMS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I don't see how you guys enjoy nitro. I get ticked off every time i have to go tune them. I say get something electric.
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The Slayer is pretty much a Revo with short arms and small tires. If you were comfortable with your Revo you will like the Slayer. You just wont be able to go over as much terrain as the Revo. There's always the T-maxx, Savage, and 1/8 buggies/truggies. I think the Associated SC8 is really good looking too. Really scale!

I have a 3.3 Revo with a OS .18TM and I never get tired of it. I might not run it as much as my crawler or Slash but I do still enjoy it.

Quote:
I don't see how you guys enjoy nitro. I get ticked off every time i have to go tune them. I say get something electric.
Once you get it tuned all you have to do is adjust for the ambient temp. I never have to spend more than 5-10 minutes getting it adjusted then I can run all day long!

Nitro isnt for everybody thats for sure. There's something about the sound, the smell, it's just cool!!
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
Nitro isnt for everybody thats for sure.
I agree....but I sure do love it when they give me that stuff at the dentist's office....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

yeah, there is just something about the sound and smoke!. i have a tower hobbies coupon for $60 of $300 so i can get a slayer for $309 or a new revo with the new 2.4 radio for $470. I have a total of $480 available to spend.
i just dont want to get a slayer and then have it no where near the truck my revo was.
AWILLIAMS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I know Ill probably catch heat for this, but Nitro takes alot of skill skill. Yes I know theres alot of skill in electrics as well (and Im not taking anything away from electrics) with balancing cells, amps, mahs, all that hoopla, but there is a easy version of electric where you buy a Nimh stick pack and run until your heart desires. You can put the controls in the hands of a 5 year old kid and he can probably figure it out in a couple minutes.
Nitro doesnt have this easy version option. Nitro is something that needs adjustments every single time you take them out. It takes skill to start, to tune, to keep tabs on.. Some people like the technicality of it (for me the mini engine still has a huge cool factor) and some people dont like to deal with the hassle and the mess.
I know after running 1/5th scales, I dont think Id ever go back to nitro. (Unless something wicked cool came out). And Electric has spoiled me as well, but to me personally, there is no substitute to that BrrrrrrRRRRaaaappPPp.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnRockCrawler View Post
I know Ill probably catch heat for this, but Nitro takes alot of skill skill. Yes I know theres alot of skill in electrics as well (and Im not taking anything away from electrics) with balancing cells, amps, mahs, all that hoopla, but there is a easy version of electric where you buy a Nimh stick pack and run until your heart desires. You can put the controls in the hands of a 5 year old kid and he can probably figure it out in a couple minutes.
Nitro doesnt have this easy version option. Nitro is something that needs adjustments every single time you take them out. It takes skill to start, to tune, to keep tabs on.. Some people like the technicality of it (for me the mini engine still has a huge cool factor) and some people dont like to deal with the hassle and the mess.
I know after running 1/5th scales, I dont think Id ever go back to nitro. (Unless something wicked cool came out). And Electric has spoiled me as well, but to me personally, there is no substitute to that BrrrrrrRRRRaaaappPPp.
I like tinkering so I think nitro would be great for me... I don't really like the silentness and the ease of use with electrics so much anymore. Now that I have a few electrics I would like to get into nitro, so if I don't feel like messing with the engine I have a few electrics to run as backup.
Raguvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
Suck it up!

I had a Revo and converted it to a Slayer. It was fun at first because it was different, but its nothing like a Revo and got kind of boring. You can't jump as high, it rolls over easy, ground clearance becomes an issue...

In the end I got sick of it and traded it and about $200 worth of spare parts straight across for a brushless Slash.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote