Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: HELP!!!! Save Briansbodies foot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default HELP!!!! Save Briansbodies foot

My good buddy and fellow crawler, Brian, had a horrible accident at the comp. in Prescott last weekend. He fell and broke his ankle very badly. He is going to require at least one surgery to make sure his foot is attached to his leg. Without the surgery, he stands to loose his foot to amputation. The worst part of all of it is he does not have insurance and the surgeon will not operate until he pays for the surgery up front. The rough estimate of everything is going to come to about $7,800. Obviously, most people do not have this money laying around, especially those with children like Brian has. He is being forced to sell off all of his rc stuff, which will totally take him out of the crawling world. I think of you guys like an extended family. Part of the reason I love crawling so much is because I get to be around people I can count on and who treat me like a brother. I know Brian feels the same way and his heart is really in this hobby. The financial strain is devestating and to not only lose his mobility but also the thing he loves doing most, crawling and painting, would be a real shame. I know everyone is in the same boat financially and doesn't have a lot of money to spare but if everyone on this forum and site even donated just 1 or 2 dollars, it adds up and would make a huge difference. Brian is a very generous and giving man, he's donated many man hours and products to the growth of the hobby and for larger competitions. This is our chance to show him how much he is appreciated and how badly he is wanted in this hobby. I know if it was any of us in this situation, we would be grateful for whatever anyone could do to help.
I don't want to see him be forced to quit this sport. Anything we can do to help would be great. Any donations you can spare can be sent to his paypal account at thefoss4@yahoo.com
Thanks again everyone!!!
SMOKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

dont they have to operate on him by law ,insurance or not? or is this a kalifonia thing.
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

things will work out mat. have faith bud. pm sent
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thats what I was just thinking. The doctor is going to have to do it one way or another. He's either going to have to fix it now or cut it off if he doesn't and I can smell a law suit.

Anywho paypal sent. Its not much but every little bit helps right.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

No unfortantley because it's not considered life threatening they don't have to operate. I thought the same thing but my lady works in the medical field and deals with insurance stuff all the time and they don't have an obligation to operate without payment guarantee. It sucks and doesn't seem right but it's the situation. His wife and Jenny have looked into every loop hole possible to find another way and there just isn't one. That's why it's so important to get something going for him. Anything helps even a couple of dollars!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

this might stir a pot a bit... i hope it doesnt.

this is a prime example to why i believe in health care reform.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbio4422 View Post
this might stir a pot a bit... i hope it doesnt.

this is a prime example to why i believe in health care reform.
heath care = prepaid medical insurance through your federal tax
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Politics aside, I posted this on Scale4x4 too! Brian we are pulling for you.
lowslowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I sent your friend 10 bucks that I had in my pay pal.
Hope things work out for him.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #10
RCC Addict

My wife and I just sent $50 from our Paypal account. Hope this helps you Brian and you have a quick recovery

Last edited by montana.matt; 10-22-2009 at 12:35 AM.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #11
I joined the Band!

soory to hear that, 50 bucks being sent now. this is his paypal ?
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

guys... this brings tears to my eyes! brian will be so very suprised tomorrow when he wakes up and sees all of this. he mentioned to me earlier today that he was able to borrow a laptop from his wifes friend. im not sure for how long, but he will be able to get online between Percocet comas.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:00 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbio4422 View Post
guys... this brings tears to my eyes!
X2 you guys and are awesome
Old 10-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #14
Who's your Daddy-0!

In Cali. they do have to fix his ankle regardless if he can pay or not! It's the law! This is for California.....http://www.calpatientguide.org/iv.html

Chapter IV.
Your Right to Emergency Medical Care

SUMMARY OF YOUR RIGHTS
  • You have the right to receive emergency care at any licensed facility with an emergency room.
  • You have the right to be treated until your emergency medical condition is stabilized when you go to a hospital emergency room.
  • You have the right be informed by the hospital of your right to receive emergency services, without regard to your ability to pay, prior to being transferred or discharged.
  • You have a right not to be transferred from an emergency care facility against your will.

You have important rights when you go to a hospital's emergency room, regardless of your insurance status. California law severely restricts and regulates the ability of all licensed health care facilities with emergency departments to transfer and discharge emergency patients.1 These laws expand upon the important protections in the federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act ("EMTALA,").2 The federal protections under EMTALA and its regulations apply to all hospitals that participate in the Medicare program and apply to all patients that go to those hospitals, not just Medicare patients.

WHAT IS CONSIDERED AN "EMERGENCY MEDICAL CONDITION" THAT REQUIRES EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE?

Your condition is a medical emergency when your life, body parts or bodily functions are at risk of damage or loss unless immediate medical care is received.

His injury falls within their "Emergency" guidelines! If they are trying to refuse treatment for lack of payment he is going to be a rich man! He should see a attorney ASAP!

I've spent 3 hours looking up the laws on this for Cali. tonight. At the very least they have to treat him and bill him later or he can file for Indigent Care and the state will pay for it. But they CANNOT REFUSE TO TREAT HIM FOR LACK OF PAYMENT!!!!!!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Kenny, Brian is from Arizona!
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:28 AM   #16
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda316 View Post
dont they have to operate on him by law ,insurance or not? or is this a kalifonia thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Jester View Post
Kenny, Brian is from Arizona!
Ok, I saw the above post so I thought he was from Cali. I'll get back to searching! From what I've read on Federal law I think it still applies to him though. I'll get back to searching.......
Old 10-22-2009, 02:53 AM   #17
Who's your Daddy-0!

Yep, it's Federal law! They can not refuse him treatment for the injury that he has! http://www.insurance-network.com/emtala.htm

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/EMTALA/
Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Kenny, those links you posted applies to "emergency medical treatment". That applied to him the day it happened. Basically, the hospital only has to treat him to stabilize him, then they can send him home. Once he is stabilized, the hospital no longer is required to provide care. At least that's how I interpret it.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I feel awefull, because I hardly have two cents to rub together at the moment. I've been searching for some way to help.
Here is a link to a statewide list of clinics, some of which offer free medical assistance.
http://www.azmedassn.org/clinics.html
Here is one for the 'Arizona Medical Assistance Program' which uses Gov. grants.
http://www.governmentgrantsearch.com/articles/view/5116
Here is another for free clinics, by county, in Arizona.
http://www.freemedicalcamps.com/vcity.php?stateid=AZ
I will keep trying, hang in there Brian.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
Kenny, those links you posted applies to "emergency medical treatment". That applied to him the day it happened. Basically, the hospital only has to treat him to stabilize him, then they can send him home. Once he is stabilized, the hospital no longer is required to provide care. At least that's how I interpret it.
from what i have heard. you are correct. brians wife is a nurse. (or something in the medical world) im sure they have thought of every loop possible. after he was released from the ER he was "on his own." having his foot fixed now would be considered "cosmetic". if the foot turns gangrene then it becomes a medical emergency. at that point its too late