Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Ok, why can't people spell????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Ok, why can't people spell????

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Is it just that some people are just not getting a good enough edjumacation in skool or wut???
Seriously people, I wish that RCC had some type of spell check or something. Every single day I come here and read some peoples posts, and I can see where they mispell a word. Sometimes, its because of a slip of the keyboard, but sometimes, it just total misuse of a word. Here are a few examples.

1. Gee im BOARD. What should I do.
2. I wish I could run the 2nds COARSE again.
3. I used to be into PLAINS now I like crawlers.

Local shops and stores around here are constantly using incorrect grammar on their storefront signs too!!! Here are some examples

1. Foggie windows?? Call us!!!!!!
2. If you loose your job, weel make your payments.
3. Plan your vehical maintanance now!

OMG!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!

I just wish that the public/private school systems here are actually trying to promote proper grammar in the schools. I've heard that kids are actually starting to use "TEXTING" shorthand on reports and on school assignments! Kids have to be smarter than this, and us older people should really know better!

End rant!

Sorry, just had a bad day I guess!

Last edited by jcboof; 12-26-2009 at 02:54 PM.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

yes and why is it only 1 out of every 5 people have basic common sense. so many people are too stupid for their own good. with the store fronts its even worse, its not like 1 person works there. there are usually at a minimum 4 or 5 people who work at a store, and not a single one of them noticed or cared enough about their job to say something.
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'll start with this, I know I'm not perfect in the punctuation and grammar department.

This is what REALLY pisses me off... When you go to read a post, and the original poster has not used a single punctuation mark. So, you're reading one long sentence that should probably be 5 or 6.
PEDEcrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It just makes people and especially businesses seem really ignorant! I live in a nice area with well educated people, but it still amazes me that I see signs spelled wrong! I have called a few of these places and told them about it too!

The worst one I've seen to date is a sign at a modular housing business. A huge vinyl banner covering the entire side of the house said " If you loose your job, weel make the payments for you for 1 year!"

Loose your job!! WEEL make the payments!!!! OMG!! Who ever made that damn sign ought to LOOSE their job and maybe the business WEEL make his house payments!!! IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDEcrawlerguy View Post
I'll start with this, I know I'm not perfect in the punctuation and grammar department.

This is what REALLY pisses me off... When you go to read a post, and the original poster has not used a single punctuation mark. So, you're reading one long sentence that should probably be 5 or 6.

Yup, and I'm not saying that I'm perfect either, but there are just some times when you just want to send a PM to the person who posted to let them know that they are an idiot!

I've developed adult onset ADHD from reading some of this crap that I've seen on here!! LOL!!
Old 12-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I don't mind a few quick problems as long as it is still easy to read. No one is perfect. On these forums its easy to get in a hurry to post.

Too many run-ons, or as posted just one long 1000+ character post just makes your mind shutter sometimes.

As for a business doing it, well that's just crazy and likely the cause of them needing to advertise for more business.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm more aggravated by people who can't drive.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

They could be reaching their target audiences too with statements like "If you loose your job, weel make your payments for 1 year." The younger generation would probably understand that as opposed to making it grammatically correct. But then they would probably miss the advertisement anyway due to texting while tooling down the road!
Handicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

eye dunt no wat yu gahyz r tawking abowt ,

eye allwayz mayk shur 2 spehl chec b4 eye pohst nethink
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I've noticed people typing like they talk and adding extra letters where they don't belong. Like Drawl instead of draw, or Missoura instead of Missouri.

And L33t speak crap just pisses me off.

I have been known to type fast and miss punctuation but I know Firefox has spell check and it's enabled from install unless you can't see red lines under the words you tried to type there's no reason to misspell anything.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Old guy

I can't spell for shit, But if I can't spell a word I'll look it up. Most the time when I think I've spelled it wrong ,I end up being right.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Huked on fonics wurkt fo me!
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

This is why I use this signature everywhere, except RCC because it won't allow me to.....

One of the funniest ones I saw was on the back of a DVD. It's about a hydro dam that breaks and floods the town. I forget the exact wording but they had the word "damn" instead of "dam". An easy mistake but I would think a dozen people would have to proof read it before they print thousands of copies and nobody caught it.

I think Hank Moody on Californication (David Duchovny) said it best in an interview. If you haven't seen this show I highly recommend it......

AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

LOL!! That video states my point exactly!!!

I have been drinking 7&7's for the past several hours now and am pretty buzzed right now, yet I still am trying to use proper spelling and punctuation. It's really not that hard.

I always try to proof ready my posts to make sure that I do not sound like a blundering idiot! If you are not sure of the spelling of a word, LOOK IT UP!! If you are not sure about the correct useage of a word, LOOK IT UP!

End of rant again!

I'm feeling quite nice now and will be going to bed shortly!
Everyone please have a good night!
Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

well mose of da timez tis called txt lang. lmafo
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Ahh, ya bunch-a picky old farts. Go read a dictionary. LOL
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I still don't understand how so many people on this forum can't figure out the difference between the words SELL and SALE
wrx-n-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #18
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Every single day I come here and read some peoples posts, and I can see where they mispell a word. Sometimes, its because of a slip of the keyboard, but sometimes, it just total misuse of a word.
I guess you have been reading Aaron's (the_eye) posts recently?
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx-n-ktm View Post
I still don't understand how so many people on this forum can't figure out the difference between the words SELL and SALE
Much of the time this kind of example is an English vs. Non-English thing. I see this all day long, especially with college freshman dealing with English as a second language.
Other times, it's a cultural/geographical thing, such as spelling words as they sound when spoken. This happens with native and non-native English speakers and is, of course, also linked with education or a lack there-of.

You're preaching to the choir here, my friends. But I do say I've more patience for those learning and practicing English as a second language, than some of those posting here at RCC. :?

Chrome has a Spell Check. As does F'Fox, as already mentioned. I haven't used IE in years, but I'm sure that does by now, too. I'd be surprised if Safari, or whatever, didn't have one either.
Kudos to those who take the time to right click and select the correct word; and major props to those who actually use a Dictionary (one of the most underrated, underused tools available to us all).
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote