RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/)
-   -   My real Bronco (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-chat/219977-my-real-bronco.html)

Ty@Tekin 12-30-2009 11:16 AM

My real Bronco

Been doing some work on the 1:1 snow/camping/mud rig. I don't like driving my Integra in the winter unless I have to, so I splurged a bit on the Bronco.

It's a 1988 Eddie Bauer, C6 trans, 351W, 2 1/2" Pro Comp Lift, 33X12.50/R15 Pro Comp Mud Terrains (Love,) Skyjacker shocks and stabilizer, 3" Exhaust from catback, no muffler. In the process of doing the lift, I discovered that I need some new tie-rod bushings and ball joints, so those and a full fluid swap is next. Trans, transfer case and diffs are getting new juice tomorrow, if I feel like doing it lol.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...230091057a.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...1230091058.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...1230091057.jpg

You can see the dent in this one. :mrgreen: That'll be my project this spring....

TattooKenny 12-30-2009 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 88 EB Bronco, the $$$ pit! On 36's, 456 gears, 4" sus/3"body.

ROSS 12-30-2009 12:05 PM

my dad used to have an 88 EB edition

12" lift and 39.5x15x15 boggers

i loved that truck...even though it was a ford...
wish he hadnt sold it

ultimate_monkey 12-30-2009 12:11 PM

ummm why arnt you running a muffler? sure it sounds cool and loud but your killing your low end power band

skid 12-30-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey (Post 2193186)
ummm why arnt you running a muffler? sure it sounds cool and loud but your killing your low end power band

Doubt it, from the description, I'm guessing it still has full length exhuast, and with a cat still in there, they don't get too obnoxious.

eron 12-30-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

can you explain why? I'd really like to know. The only thing i see is that a muffler restricts exhaust flow. if not using them effect bottom end wouldn't dragsters, nascar's etc. use them?

TattooKenny 12-30-2009 12:28 PM

No exhaust could effect back pressure. But I know quite a few guys that just run straight exhaust with no muffle, loud as hell though!

InFlames 12-30-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eron (Post 2193217)
can you explain why? I'd really like to know. The only thing i see is that a muffler restricts exhaust flow. if not using them effect bottom end wouldn't dragsters, nascar's etc. use them?

Pretty sure the back pressure from a muffler helps bottom end power, but ive never cared to find out, because i love the sound of a muffler.

I say take off your cats and weld in some nice original 40's "thumbsup"

ultimate_monkey 12-30-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eron (Post 2193217)

contrary to what people think an motor needs back pressure to have peak performance. there a whole equation to figure out what exhaust is best bassed on motor displacement, exhaust tubeing size and the rpm range that you wat to make power..

when you talk about dragsters they are running hufe displacement motors with huge blowers on them, and running at high rpm, so for them they have to basically run no exahust, so they can get as much fuel in and exhaust out as possible. gotta remember that on street drivin truck your gonna need to make power from from idle. race cars / drag cars are basically idleing or wide open, so there power band comes at a high rpm so they need to get as much exhuast out as possible.

inflames is right, your much better off to remove the cat (or put in a highflow one depending on emissions controll in your area) and run a muffler

skid 12-30-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey (Post 2193231)

inflames is right, your much better off to remove the cat (or put in a highflow one depending on emissions controll in your area) and run a muffler

Far too many variables to just say that. Optimizing exhuast pulses and scavaging are much better things to work on than focusing on just backpressure.

That aside, Nice ride!

ultimate_monkey 12-30-2009 12:54 PM

agreed there is alot more to it then just BP, i ment is as that a cat becomes cloged over time and will overly restrict BP, but a muffler can aid in BP and wont become cloged

and i guess i never did mention, i like the ride, i was just curious as to why no muffler was being run

Boone 12-30-2009 06:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is my 68 Bronco, talk about a money pit!!! 351 Windsor stroked to 377, C-4 trans, Dana 44 up front with disk brakes, 9 inch 31 spline rear, power steering, power brakes, long travel susp..... Would not trade it for anything in the world though.

Ty@Tekin 12-30-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

I ran 3" pipe from the cat back, it sounds great and I didn't notice any loss in low end at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skid (Post 2193212)
Doubt it, from the description, I'm guessing it still has full length exhuast, and with a cat still in there, they don't get too obnoxious.

Correct sir, it does sound good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TattooKenny (Post 2193222)
No exhaust could effect back pressure. But I know quite a few guys that just run straight exhaust with no muffle, loud as hell though!

Nah, it's really not at all. Nice low rumble to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by InFlames (Post 2193225)
Pretty sure the back pressure from a muffler helps bottom end power, but ive never cared to find out, because i love the sound of a muffler.

I say take off your cats and weld in some nice original 40's "thumbsup"

No need for it, it sounds great right now and polutes less than it would with no cat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skid (Post 2193268)
Far too many variables to just say that. Optimizing exhuast pulses and scavaging are much better things to work on than focusing on just backpressure.

That aside, Nice ride!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey (Post 2193271)
agreed there is alot more to it then just BP, i ment is as that a cat becomes cloged over time and will overly restrict BP, but a muffler can aid in BP and wont become cloged

and i guess i never did mention, i like the ride, i was just curious as to why no muffler was being run

Because the stock exhaust literally fell off, so for $35 I ran 3" from the cat back and it actually came out sounding great and it was a cheap fix!

I'll see if I can get a vid clip of how it sounds, it's not a loud ass redneck truck, I can tell you that right now.