Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Home theater setups/advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
06 Super National Champ

Default Home theater setups/advice

What are you guys doing for home theater?

We have a 52" Sharp Aquos that our PS3, Wii, and PC are all connected to.

The PS3 is for gaming and Blu-Ray, the Wii is kids/fun gaming, and the PC is used for internet and streaming movies, sports, all the stuff we'd normally watch on cable or satellite. We also have a Neuros MPEG-4 recorder that I use to rip Blu-Ray/DVD to digital format for portable devices. It's an analog pass-through device.

Thing is I think it's time to upgrade the receiver. Our old Kenwood VRF-7772D (that I love) doesn't have HDMI inputs (only has one optical audio input) so we have a ton of stuff that's connected via analog for audio. We're running 5.1 audio with a Bose center, Klipsch Synergy 10, and some old JVC front/surround speakers.

Here's the rundown on how our crap is connected.

PS3: Video is HDMI to TV, audio is optical to receiver
Wii: Video is component to TV, audio is analog to receiver
PC: Video is HDMI to TV, audio is analog to receiver
MPEG-4 recorder: Analog out from PS3 in, analog out from device to analog connection on receiver.

I'm looking at getting a receiver that has multiple HDMI inputs. As of now I'm looking at a Denon AVR-790.

The Denon will up-convert (supposedly) any signal that comes in on component, S-video, analog, or HDMI to 1080p output via HDMI.

If I get the Denon I'll be able to use the receiver for switching audio AND video, up-convert the inputs, and have the flexibility to go from 5.1 to 7.2 audio. I should also be able to no longer need to pick up three remotes when I switch from the PC to the PS3.

Problem is that our Aquos has a kick-ass feature that allows you to set each input for what you're doing. Right now I'm on the PC input (via HDMI) and I've adjusted the settings so that it essentially works as a computer monitor and is nice and clear for what it does on this input.

When I switch to the PS3 input the TV switches to the input and all of the display settings I've programmed on that input are automatically applied.

If I switch to using the Denon I'll be able to simplify things but lose the ability to have the individual input settings for video display.

So...what to do?

I've also looked at having the TV professionally calibrated. Thoughts on that?

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 01-05-2010 at 08:38 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Hey Jason, check out the AVS forum. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ They have some really great info.
speed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

My parents are fully decking out their new house with all that stuff right now, with a full theater in the basement. The pro they have doing it is using all Denon receivers, even for the 109" Theater setup. I can see your dilemma on losing the functionality of the tv settings, but think of it this way. A lot of your components use HDMI right now, and you're short on HDMI inputs for your receiver. Anything you buy in the future is going to be HDMI also. So you're either going to be stuck buying a new receiver anyway, or one of the HDMI splitters. I have tried one of those and it was a giant POS. Just my experience with it. I can get you some model numbers on which receivers they have installed thus far if you'd like. I looked into getting a new receiver for myself recently that had more than just the 4 mine at my house has, but that got outside my budget in a hurry.
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

You can tell I am old. I have a 19 inch TV and a record player/cassette deck next to my 8 track player. And 1 foot tall speaker cabinets on the top shelf..
Called "old school"
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
I looked into getting a new receiver for myself recently that had more than just the 4 mine at my house has, but that got outside my budget in a hurry.
Yeah, once you go past four HDMI inputs the prices shoot up quite a bit.

Crazy thing is that the average user won't NEED all those extra (more than four) inputs. Most will have only cable/sat and a Blu-Ray/DVD player and maybe an additional game console.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yeah, right now I have hdmi going to my tv from the receiver. Going into the receivers hdmi ports I have: my cable box, xbox, apple tv, computer when I have it hooked up, and I had a ps3 on it while I was borrowing it from my brother. I'm planning on getting a blu ray player soon, so that's going to replace the ps3 I gave back to my bro. So I'd need 5 or 6 inputs just as it is now. :? Getting behind the giant ass entertainment center to switch them out is a 20 minute ordeal too..
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
Yeah, right now I have hdmi going to my tv from the receiver. Going into the receivers hdmi ports I have: my cable box, xbox, apple tv, computer when I have it hooked up, and I had a ps3 on it while I was borrowing it from my brother. I'm planning on getting a blu ray player soon, so that's going to replace the ps3 I gave back to my bro. So I'd need 5 or 6 inputs just as it is now. :? Getting behind the giant ass entertainment center to switch them out is a 20 minute ordeal too..

Get rid of the Xbox and buy a PS3. Still the best Blu-Ray player on the market.

That'll mean you have the Apple TV, PS3, computer, and cable.

Or do like we did - get rid of cable and start streaming everything. Then you'll have an open HDMI port...unless you keep the 360.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

IS their a reason you dont just run HDMI to the TV and then optical from TV to receiver? Unless you have a trained ear or Just need to have 7.1 i dont think you will notice a difference.

I have a 42" Vizio. I had my Sat via hdmi, PS3 via hdmi, and my something else but cant remember by hdmi to the TV, then I ran an optical to my receiver from TV. Worked a treat.

Would save you a bit of cash you could put twords quality speakers.
rnpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
06 Super National Champ

I'm not using the TV for audio so there's no reason to run optical between the TV and receiver.

Currently all audio is handled by the receiver, all video by television.

My speakers are just fine. Bose center, Klipsch woofer, and the JVC sats.

I moved the Bose bookshelfs to the garage.

The 7.2 capability allows to have high front and wide front or additional rears.

If you decide not to use 7.2 you can use 5.1 and have a 2nd zone for an additional set of speakers.

Not sure how the 790 works but on the high-end receivers that 2nd zone can be on a different source and different volume control.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 01-06-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i think my head just exploded.
MOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

xbox 360, pc and ps2 hooked up to a 23 inch samsung monitor and a turtle beach headset :p more than enough for me. i have found that in gaming a huge screen tv can be more of a distraction than it can help.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by foproy View Post
i have found that in gaming a huge screen tv can be more of a distraction than it can help.
Unpossible.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
Trying to have Fun Again

Jason we sell Harman Kardon at our store and it does up HDMI up converting for analog pieces is also really easy to operate. We also sell Denon but we are going to drop that line cause it is very hard for customers to operate.

Take a look at Harman Kardon,
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
Donkey Punch Champion!

I purchased an HDMI switching unit, for all my different devices. I will NOT part with my Sunfire receiver.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
I'm a stupid C U N T!

On my tv, everything HD is run into the tv Via HDMI except the wii(component) then my TV has a digital out that I run to the receiver so if I change inputs on the TV the receiver doesn't change. As for Receivers I've been a fan of the High end Sony for some time, although the last one I picked up was a decade ago At my home audio Prime I had really nice Bose acustimass 5.1 system and is sounded great off the sony. but those speakers made even moderate receivers sound good
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
Official Scale Nazi

I run big money crap but I'm an audio engineer so I can hear the difference. Denon and Boston Acoustics are generally what I reccomend for people looking for the best consumer-level components. Stay away from Bose and anything that says "THX" on it.

If you're on a really tight budget, I would buy the best receiver you can afford and cheap speakers. Upgrade the speakers as you can.
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy View Post
I run big money crap but I'm an audio engineer so I can hear the difference. Denon and Boston Acoustics are generally what I reccomend for people looking for the best consumer-level components. Stay away from Bose and anything that says "THX" on it.

If you're on a really tight budget, I would buy the best receiver you can afford and cheap speakers. Upgrade the speakers as you can.
No trying to jack, just a quick question pigeon since we're on the subject.

I'm looking for a nice little shelf system to replace my wife's older stereo that she's had for years. Found this Denon micro system the other night and I'm curious as to it's quality:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDeta...croSystems.asp

Read nothing but praise for it so far...any thoughts?

Thanks
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #18
RCC Addict

In my TV room I run an Onkyo receiver with MB Quart towers, center, and surrounds. Sunfire 12" sub. Samsung 50" plasma. I have my cable box and my HD-DVD player ( yeah I know I lost that battle, but its a really nice upconverting DVD player and the 100 or so HD DVD's I have still work) run with hdmi. I know that when I connected my cable box hdmi instead of component it made a big change to the overall picture and sound. Not that my cable is that great, it really sucks as far as HD channels ( about 20) but its what we have available. I would look for something with at least 4 hdmi inputs. Mine only has 2 and that keeps me from getting a blu ray player because I don't want to give up anything else. I had always been a Yamaha receiver guy, but the Onkyo has a little more power for the $$$. I went the other way, and kind of cheaped out on the receiver, planning to replace it every 4 or 5 years as things get better. I think mine was about $500 (Onkyo 605). I would give Onkyo a look, I have been pretty satisfied. Or if you pick up a copy of the home theatre mags, most of them have a gear list that tested best for them from the previous year.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #19
RCC Addict

currently im running a 110" projection system for video, two of the Logitech THX surrounds in series for audio and just a ps3/dvd for input. I only watch movies not tv so it kicks total ass!
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I'm no audiophile, but I do know one thing when it comes to a good reciever; you CANNOT GO WRONG WITH DENON. I have a Yamaha currently in my main room and I can't stand it. In my garage, I have a 50W 2 Zone Denon and it blows my Yamaha out of the water in pure sound, though it's lower end and doesn't have the feature set (that's why it's my garage/outdoor 2 zone reciever).

When I breakdown to get a new reciever, I will be getting another Denon.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote