Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Bigsquid is a Scam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Bigsquid is a Scam

I don't like posting threads like this, but I feel like this is something worth warning/informing people of.

I used to be one of the writers for the online RC blog Bigsquidrc. I volunteered for the position, helped write content as often as possible, and did my best to contribute to the site. I would spend about 2 hours a week looking around for new content, writing press releases, and slamming their logo on every image I would post. I didn't ask anything in return.

At iHobby this year, a company came by and gave us a number of their products to sample. I asked the site manager, Brian, if I could grab one to use. Honestly, I could not hear his reply because of the noise at the event, so I figured it was ok.

I keep writing posts for the site and doing the images, but none of it got posted. A month later I get an email from the dude telling me he "did not appreciate watching me pocket one of the samples from the company" and "he will no longer be dealing with me". He also told me he had just gotten 8 Futaba servos he would have been willing to share, had I "not been so greedy at the show."

To me this says a few things: This dude is too selfish for his own good to let a 18 year old with a low paying job have a little bit of the free swag, and therefore everything should go to him. It also says he can't handle a simple misunderstanding. And he has inadequate people skills. It would have saved me 7$ postage if the moron just confronted me at the event.

I promptly boxed it back up and sent it to his mailing address. I assume it made it there, but he never emailed me to inform me so. I hadn't even used it yet. And that was the last of it. Or so I thought.

I'm poking around on the site out of boredom, reading some "write the editor" garbage. Some guy wrote in and asked if he could do reviews for them. This is a direct quote from the reply from the site:

"Our problem is- everyone who wants to be a part of [site name] wants the fame and fortune, without actually doing any F’n writing. [...]Otherwise, don’t be like the other wanna be posers who want all the uber swag but are too lazy to write anything."

This really ticked me off. I could care less about the fame and fortune, I just wanted to gain a little more reputation in the RC world and set myself up for a job in the industry some day. From the day I started until the day I was "fired", I was doing work for this blog. I strongly doubt I'm a poser, the jerk who runs the site DOESN'T EVEN WRENCH ON HIS OWN CARS. I've witnessed this and heard multiple accounts of his laziness from other people.

But wait...it gets worse. One of my buddies IM'd me and said that they were at it again... and boy am I ticked off now.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/readers-le...sion-02102010/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby
I must say, we’ve got some real “winners” as readers. Our first letter of the week is proof positive.
===
Brian,
I just want to let you know the heat sensor came. I also want to tell I will no longer be send any pictures for this contest. I have a funny feeling that the savage and the rest of the nicer prizes went to your guys. I have been watching your site there has been NO posting of these prizes that you site receives. ALL YEAR good luck with your site.

please don’t respond back because I don’t care.
Brian M#########
===
Ok, ok, so this one wasn’t addressed to me personally, but I just love hate mail. What this Brian Mis b***hing about is the FREE prize he WON from BigSquid. BigSquid always has contests going on where all you have to do to enter is to submit a pic of your pimp’n ride with a BigSquid sticker on it. It seems this guy is ****ed off that he won a prize. LOL He also thinks that all the “good stuff” is given away to to predetermined people. Well, I can tell you first hand that Brian (editor at large) at BigSquid is always freak’n because some guy in Sweden won this or that and it’s gonna cost 80 bucks to mail his prize to him. LOL. Now I know Mr Brian M won’t be reading this reply, but if you do happen to accidentally read this, your next hate mail really should have much rougher language and at least one threat if you hope to have any shot at making hate mail of the year. Thanks!
I'm trying to contain myself here.... but WHO THE ____ DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?! Professional trolls and con artists? I've been under the impression that this Brian hogs all the good stuff for himself. Here's a video of one of the last contest drawings, held HALF A YEAR AGO when the claim is monthly drawings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPPtejwvNh0

Just look at the friggin wall behind him. Does it look like he drives ANY of those?

I'm not trying to troll this board, I'm not trying to get even with Brian, I'm just trying to get some of my frustration out and warn the RC community at the same time.
Roketcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Never even heard of them...oh well, thanks for saving me the wasted time...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Never even heard of them...oh well, thanks for saving me the wasted time...
Ditto...

That is why I never stay far from home, its weird out there...!
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

There are other websites?
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by radishkid View Post
There are other websites?
ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mr green: WOW!! So true!!
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
www.team3sixrc.com

DUDE! I love this. Im originally from the Chicago area and the guy is a douchebag. I know a few people that like him, But he doesnt impact my life to be honest with ya. I just went to the website and thats some stupid crap right there calling out his fans. So maybe you should make it your mission to post this all over the place. I got your back! Its kinda funny that he thinks that people respect him and the truth is you are right. he does get alot of freebies from what I hear. There was talk that he keeps this for himself and a few of his buds, But I am guessing he has an ants brain of knowledge when it comes to RC. he doesnt sound as if he really understands it but rather read it out of an RC article.

Last edited by team3six; 02-12-2010 at 10:54 AM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've never heard of them either, but I'm not much of a basher, and that looks pretty much like what they cater to. Fawk em. If you're a good writer, start up your own blog, it may catch on and you'll be the guy the companies are sending stuff to. There are a few assholes out there in the industry. Whether they be sponsors, managers, reps, or even team members. If you want to continue blogging and reviewing swag...start small, work up, and keep your nose to the grindstone. It'll pan out eventually, or if you comp and are good enough like a lot of guys on here, the sponsors and reps will come to you.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcabner View Post
I've never heard of them either, but I'm not much of a basher, and that looks pretty much like what they cater to. Fawk em. If you're a good writer, start up your own blog, it may catch on and you'll be the guy the companies are sending stuff to. There are a few assholes out there in the industry. Whether they be sponsors, managers, reps, or even team members. If you want to continue blogging and reviewing swag...start small, work up, and keep your nose to the grindstone. It'll pan out eventually, or if you comp and are good enough like a lot of guys on here, the sponsors and reps will come to you.

I agree. I have looked at the Big Squid RC website a few times mainly because they have some good reviews of some Traxxas stuff. You probably wrote a few of those. I say start your own blog.

With the support of RCC how could you fail?
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
DUDE! I love this. Im originally from chicago and the guy is a doucebag. I know a few people that like him and you should make it your mission to post this all over the place. I got your back! he thinks that peiple respect him and the truth is you are right. he does get alot of freebies that he keeps for himself as well as has about an ants brain about RC.
Thanks dude, I'm going to be going around on a few other boards I have memberships on... RCShortcourse, Mini-Zracer, VWVortex, RC411... etc.

Quote:
start small, work up, and keep your nose to the grindstone. It'll pan out eventually,
I've been been a moderator on Atomicmod's Xmod board since 2007 and a moderator on RC411.com since 2008, you could say my whole face is already in the grindstone.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
RCC Addict

He looks like a nerd. That is all.

BTW, I'll look out for the thread on vortex. That's my home away from home
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
He looks like a nerd. That is all.

BTW, I'll look out for the thread on vortex. That's my home away from home
Just saw you on there. The MK3 forum in there is pure anarchy

I'm hesistant to put this up on the RC411, since I'm webstaff there. I don't want my personal bias to affect their image.

Last edited by Roketcooper; 02-12-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Now I am glad I stole all them stickers at iHobby.....being the sticker whore that I am
weck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
RCC Addict

RC image??? what?? you mean Im not in the cool crowd??? So much for building RC rigs and using them, and getting practice, and having fun. Its all about the image... LOL
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Brian,
I just want to let you know the heat sensor came. I also want to tell I will no longer be send any pictures for this contest. I have a funny feeling that the savage and the rest of the nicer prizes went to your guys. I have been watching your site there has been NO posting of these prizes that you site receives. ALL YEAR good luck with your site.

please don’t respond back because I don’t care.
Brian M#########
Saydee strikes again...lol

Bigsquid and I have had our ups and downs, I do think he has his group that he caters to. I also think he is a good guy overall. Misunderstandings happen, you could prolly call him and smooth things over. If you couldn't hear him at Ihobby I'm betting he didn't hear you either. His booth was located at the second loudest spot in the building (multi engine pullers were the loudest).
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
DUDE! I love this. Im originally from chicago and the guy is a doucebag. I know a few people that like him and you should make it your mission to post this all over the place. I got your back! he thinks that peiple respect him and the truth is you are right. he does get alot of freebies that he keeps for himself as well as has about an ants brain about RC.

Well you don't have to like me. I just wrote him this email because I have been reading his forum for a few year. I saw he had this contest last year so I enter a truck. Last year in his contest he post who won these prizes and what they picked. This year I saw that there was never a winner posted also I saw that there where never any prizes scratched off. So I called him out. I don't really care if I ever won. But I wanted let him know what I thought of his crap

thanks

[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Saydee strikes again...lol

Bigsquid and I have had our ups and downs, I do think he has his group that he caters to. I also think he is a good guy overall. Misunderstandings happen, you could prolly call him and smooth things over. If you couldn't hear him at Ihobby I'm betting he didn't hear you either. His booth was located at the second loudest spot in the building (multi engine pullers were the loudest).
Jeff
I just call it like I see it.

Last edited by sally1800; 02-13-2010 at 03:24 PM.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
Well you don't have to like me. I just wrote him this email because I have been reading his forum for a few year. I saw he had this contest last year so I enter a truckt have to like me. I just wrote him this email because I have been reading his forum for a few year. I saw he had this contest last year so I enter a truck.l you don't have to like me. I just wrote him this email because I have been reading his forum for a few year. I saw he had this contest last year so I enter a truck. Last year in his contest he post who won these prizes and what they picked. This year I saw that there was never a winner posted also I saw that there where never any prizes scratched off. So I called him out. I don't really care if I ever won. But I wanted let him know what I thought of his crap.

Wut?
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I knew that was you!!! LOL Whats sad is I actually questioned the validity of his giveaways a couple years back. That being said, he has done more for RC drag racing than any 1 person. Its a mixed bag, like it or hate it or just deal with it.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
RC image??? what?? you mean Im not in the cool crowd??? So much for building RC rigs and using them, and getting practice, and having fun. Its all about the image... LOL
I'm just here for the chicks and the free bacon.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Im with everyone else. Never heard of em'. Ah well though.. There's no drama like E drama.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I'm just here for the chicks and the free bacon.

Free Bacon??? I'm in, thanks for the chance!!!
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote