Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Detroit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Detroit?

Are there any members who live in this city?
I read an online article that made some claims about it's state of decay, and how the mainstream media were avoiding the subject like the plague, mainly because it might be embarrassing to the government and cause problems.
Iv'e never been there, and have not come across any recent info in the news ect. on the motor city, except for the troubles within the auto industry ect.
Then today, I saw a couple video's from various sources, that were pretty wild, I'm not sure what to make of this stuff, and I would like to get some first hand information, to see if what they say in these video's is accurate, or just a bunch of nonesense.
Here is a link to one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hhJ_49leBw

I would appreciate any and all comments on this subject.
Thanks in advance.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The video shows the worst of...which makes sense to be honest. But yes it's like this downtown in the city.

I do not feel it was the "leftists" or anything. To be honest it's the corruption of Mayors Coleman and Kilpatrick.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It's such a shit hole the rat's an roaches are moving to the burbs. Like said, Coleman started it and it's been downhill since. That video shows some of the nicer parts of town.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Have you ever showed up to a party to late? It is a lot like getting to a kick ass kegger the next morning...by the mess you can tell it was a great time before you got there. That is just like Detroit. Looking around it isn't hard to see that it once was a hell of a place...now it's just a place of hell. I go downtown every day for school. Some places are not bad at all...others are terrible. I would have to say thou the city is better then it was and the fact that it isn't getting any worse in the economy around here gives me a good deal of hope if and when things turn around.
chole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
no talent hack

I did a photoshoot inside the building 32 seconds in. It was for a article in Modified magazine a few years back. thats basically what the majority of the east side of detroit looks like though. atleast thats what it looked like before i moved out of that place. its probably worse then i remember now

Last edited by Nabil; 03-27-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
RCC Addict

You should visit Saginaw sometime.
(Bring your kevlar...)
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Might sound a bit cheesy but being an outlander this and a couple of other Detroit related videos made me sad. I've never been there but this city was always presented as an industrial miracle. For the past couple of years though I only see and hear the worst through CNN, the net, etc etc.

I can remember when robocop (the movie) came out in the '90s that they pictured Detroit as a decayed and corrupt city. That was purely science fiction back then, at least for us around here. A bit of a "prophecy" maybe?
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks! I do appreciate you guys taking the time to post your thoughts and comments. Like Madforce says, I thought it was maybe just a small section of the city, or the vids were only showing one real bad portion. Just about every large city has some area that's old and run down. It is sad to see a well known city in such bad shape.
One of the reasons why this got my attention is, my hometown city has also suffered from urban blight, the same place that the movie 'District 9' was shot in, Jo'burg, Johannesburg South Africa, I left before apartheid ended, more than twenty years ago.
I've never been back, and after living in the US for ten or so years, I found some shocking photo's on the web of the area I was raised and lived in, I remember it being a well maintained, vibrant city, of about 3 million people. From what I understand the city has since had some redevelopment but has along way to go. I lived in the Yeoville and Hillbrow area, not far from the city center, with lots of high rise apartment and office buildings and some nice homes, here is a link to the site I found, which blew my mind when i saw what had become of it.
http://deathofjohannesburg.blogspot....annesburg.html
Check out the 'A visit to Yeoville' and 'A tour Trough Hillbrow' links on the side bar.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Get rid of Jennifer Grandmole and move the Lions some where else and I think we should be doing alright lol
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post
Get rid of Jennifer Grandmole and move the Lions some where else and I think we should be doing alright lol
She has nothing to do with Detroit it was ruined years before she was even near thought of Governor. It upsets me people think shes been in office since the 80's. While I may not find her choices the best and a large problem, she did not and has not caused what Detroit has become. That blame rides on City Council, Citizens, Governors, and county officials from the 70's and seemingly continuing through.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Default Detroit

That's where I was born and raised, but when I finished High School I decided to leave the State to go to College. That was the best thing I could have done for myself. I do miss it from time to time, but the real world hits quickly, and I realize there not much there for me to miss besides the memories. I'm a Detroit/ Highland Park boy for life, but for my children I had to find better, and at this point Its not the City I grew to love.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
gas
Rock Stacker

moved out of the city in 69 it was going down hill then and have not look back
gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Tesco Vee of the Meatmen told me that if you are tooling for anus, Detroit City is the place to go.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Such a shame. That's a microcosm of what the Left is all about.

This November, it's time for AMERICANS to take their Nation back. Vote these idiots out of office and lets get busy re-building our Nation before it all looks like Detroit.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Unfortunately, I feel like the replacements would be no better than what's in there now. Anybody catch the thing about the Senator from Georgia asking about an island capsizing?

One thing's for sure... too many lawyers in Congress and Senate... and coincidentally, they're almost all Dems... We need people with actual work experience...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Such a shame. That's a microcosm of what the Left is all about.

This November, it's time for AMERICANS to take their Nation back. Vote these idiots out of office and lets get busy re-building our Nation before it all looks like Detroit.
I would have voted republican if they put in a half assed candidate. I voted 3rd party anyhow.

How about the reps do not back McCain ever again (he's lost his bid 3 times in various stages) and NEVER I repeat NEVER look to a whack job like Palin to sneak in extra votes. Right now I'd say Romney is the best choice. Should he be on the 2012 ticket he'll easily win my vote. His much more true Republican ways will help heal the Bush Republican crap and maybe move us more to true republican goals that Bush forgot about (prolly never learned them).
Old 04-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I voted for McCain as there was no way in hell that I was going to vote for Carl.....I mean Barry. That said, McCain is not a Conservative and if I lived in AZ, I would back the Conservative candidate. I thank John McCain for his service to this country, I am proud to see him stand united w/ the Republicans against the Obama regime, but we need true Conservatives like Ronald Reagan to fix the mess that President Bush and the Democratic Congress was a part of and that Barry and his lot of tyrants have propagated.

I like Romney, and I would be inclined to vote for him. Only thing that bothers me about him is the whole Massachusetts state heath care debacle.

I would love to see Sarah Palin get elected just to watch the Progressive Left heads to EXPLODE!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
but we need true Conservatives like Ronald Reagan:
LOL
rnpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Well the way I see it is Grandholm is Michigans govenor and Detroit is in Michigan, and were damn near the worst state to live in right now. so that bitch really hasnt helped improve michigan economy. so she is a contributeing matter in Michigans Down fall. It sucks I love Michigan, i like going upnoth to go camping and boating and shit, but damn I want to get outta this hell hole.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnpnick View Post
LOL
Yeah, that's funny. We're much better w/ the fawking idiot we have now.