Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Kids?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Kids?

What do ya'll have your kids involved in to keep them from sitting in front of the boob tube rotting their brains?

My 14 yo daughter plays Hockey and runs track. This past weekend she Got MVP of the turnny she was in. Kind of rare for a goalie to get MVP, Makes a dad proud.

My 8yo boy plays baseball and is very involved in cub scouts, he also is starting swim lessons. Hes water proof but needs to learn to swim better.
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper68 View Post
is very involved in cub scouts
Good call! When mine gets old enough, he'll be in as well....Cub/Boy Scouts is one of the most fun things I have done in my life. I absolutely loved camping and hiking!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

My 10yo daughter is in cheerleading and reads allthe time.

My 8yo son is in baseball and BMX.

My 4yo daughter loves jumping on the trampolin and playing with the dogs.

My 2yo sons wants to be in m hip pocket all the time and loves being outside.

And the all love swimming in the pool so I don't have to worry to much.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Suck it up!

Its rare for my 9 yo son to be in the house without the tv being on, but most of the time he's listening, not watching. He's on the computer alot, playing games...some mindless, some not. He can log on at home to the same website that his class uses at school, so he can do math or reading lessons and is actually on there quite a bit (on his own! ).

Otherwise he's outside running around the yard with his freinds from down the street, riding his bike, going swimming, general kid stuff.

I almost never see him just sit and veg out, and when he does there is a damn good chance that he's just wore out. Always doing something...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

6 and 4 year old girls... CHORES CHORES CHORES! They work in the garden, haul wood to the porch, scoop poop outta the yard, help mom clean the house... Then if the weather sucks and they don't wanna play outside they get to watch 1 movie, a few times a week other than that they play w/ their toys or we do family game nights. We don't have cable, sat. t.v. or even antennae t.v. Its just crap on t.v. nowadays any way... Oh and they don't get video games/phones until they can afford to but them on their own...
dickwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickwart View Post
Oh and they don't get video games/phones until they can afford to but them on their own...
I bought my son (and myself ) a Wii for Christmas. About a month ago my wife brought home "Biggest Loser", and my son decided he needed to exercize more so started playing the game. Ever see a 9 yo do Yoga? Its weird.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Built, not bought

My 11 year old daughter is in Girl Scouts and also on a swim team.
Unfortunately,she spends more time on the computer than I'd like.Usually when she's watching tv,it's on the food network.She says she wants to be a chef when she's older.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Wow!! It's great that there are some kids who don't just watch the tube and play games all the time.

If any of you want to get your daughters into a sport, have them try hockey next winter. Its great for them and it gets them active when most kids say it to cold to do anything.
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Whole family is in martial arts. My 10 year old has been at it 5 years and is a red belt, 8 year old is a mid-level brown after 3.

Wife and I are going for our first attempt at 1st dan black this summer. We will be doing karate camp this up coming weekend. 1 day of forms, 1 day of grappling and then 1/2 day Monday with mystical magical stuff (no idea what).
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Im 13.
I turn wrenches just about everyday.
I wheel in my 1:1 (dad owns half i own other half)
I race Motocross
Play basketball
Now all i do pretty much is RC crawling.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Im 14 and i am on the computer alot but there is nothing to do around here.

But i do high school wrestling, and i go to Nor-cal fighting aliance to do boxing and jiu-jitsu(every day).
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby View Post
Im 14 and i am on the computer alot but there is nothing to do around here.

But i do high school wrestling, and i go to Nor-cal fighting aliance to do boxing and jiu-jitsu(every day).
Grab a wrench and find something to work on. You'll teach yourself alot.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Well my dad makes me help him work on his drag car and i always end up working on my crawler at night...
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
Old guy

My 7 kids are all on their own now, but we had baseball going big time, RC racing, the farm, horses and cows, chickens that they all had to take care of.

No way would we let them all come in the house at one time unless it was bed time or feeding time, they'd break something.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
06 Super National Champ

Mine don't do anything in particular, but they stay busy.

JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Im a rancher so theres always stuff to be done. We all get up before 6:30(usually out the door by then, yes even on weekends), go feed, water, check all the livestock. Then they usually play around the area that I'm working at(I get to spend lots of time with them). I do allow them a movie at night(they pick, we alternate who picks). Both of them love to go 4wheeling(1.1) with me so thats another out that I don't have something(like the TV,comp, video games)competing against me. The bonus to wheeling is I get to show them parts of CO that most people can't get to.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

My boy is 7. Always wanting to be outside. TV isnt much of a problem with him, Nor video games. At my place at least. I get him every weekend usually and He wears me out!! Anything and everything. Bikes, Air-soft guns, RC's, Baseball, football, to the park, in and out in and out. The boy is gona kill me lol, Some times after a long week at work i sometimes just want to relax but I cant with him around lol. Keeps me busy for sure, and man the mind on that boy is outstanding! always has Ideas for us to do, I honestly think he plans his day in the morning befor i wake up. and hes already outta the bath and dressed and waiting to rev me up. Sometimes I will wake up to a Nerf dart to the foot arm or head!
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

My oldest boy will be 3 in July and I work hard to keep him away from the TV and video games. I am a gamer myself....but in moderation. I might play my PS3 everyday for a week...but then I won't touch it again for 2 months.
We try to go camping at least every other weekend all summer long, he has been talking about fishing all spring so I got him a spongebob fishing pole to try this summer. I also bought him a yamaha pw50 dirt bike with training wheels this spring. Most of the time if I'm at home, I'm out in the garage tinkering with rc stuff or dirt bikes or cars or whatever and he always wants to be out there with me.
If we are in the house, he will sit and watch tv but if either my wife or I go outside for any reason he forgets the TV exists. I have worked hard to keep him interested in outdoors stuff. He will be old enough this fall to take him to hunting camp with us for the first time.
My other son is only one month old....his only interest right now is hanging off my wife's boobs.....and I can't blame him, I mean how many of us don't like boobs?
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Mine don't do anything in particular, but they stay busy.

no safety glasses?

my 5 year old girl plays soccer, rides bike and chases the dog....
my 2 year old girl runs and chases the dog....and runs some more.....
weck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by weck View Post
no safety glasses?
Didn't have anything other than his sunglasses that would stay on his head and he complained about not being able to see with them on so I didn't have him wear them so he could see where his fingers were while cutting.

He DOES wear a helmet when welding.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 05-24-2010 at 08:57 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote