Vaterra Ascender 10 38.46%
HPI Venture 6 23.08%
Redcat Gen 8 scout ii 9 34.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: I cant decide!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #1

Default I cant decide!!!!

I need help deciding. Throw yur' comments at me!

MST CMX or CFX
Redcat Gen 8 scout ii
Vaterra Ascender
HPI Venture

I already own SCX10, SCX10ii, RC4WD TF2, TRAXXAS Stampede 4x4

To give an idea of what I mainly drive. I live near Tucson AZ, so its lots and lots of big, chunky, jagged rocky stuff mixed with loose over hardpack. Almost zero water, grass, mud or anything that grows in the shade.
I will say that my TF2 definitely struggles in the rocky stuff. The pumpkins get hung up on everything!
The SCX10ii has been absolutely bulletproof. the SCX10 original is the opposite, a total cluster of issues. It has spent its entire life (2 years) sitting on the workbench waiting for parts and it broke again today... I hate anything that is not reliable.

Thanks!
Sdhyde17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I cant decide!!!!

None of the above.

Trx4 in any flavor not a sport model.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I agree with white-trash. For the terrain your describing a trx4 would be great. I love my trx4, it is very capable, and reliable. It is definitely worth the extra cost and aftermarket support is great, so if you do break something all parts are available.
The other option not mentioned is you could convert your scx10 to a scx10ii with portals by ssd or high altitude performances. I've heard these conversions are not too hard and are very capable.
good luck.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You're in AZ, Redcat is based in the Phoenix area, I would go with the Gen 8. I absolutely love mine, it is going to be a force to be reckoned with.
If you didn't want to wait, then yeah the TRX is also a great rig.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Another one for the TRX-4. I was a die hard Axial fan that despised Traxxas, until I got my TReX. Traxxas really nailed it.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:48 AM   #6

I live in Vail, I have a sawback, took it up gates pass, performed better than expected. For what it's cost was, it's a very capable rig. A few of the guys ran trailfinder2 and one ran a trx4, if I build another, I'm going trailfinder, but the trx4 was awesome as well.

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Tapatalk
sixty9volks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:55 AM   #7

Kind of bummed our only hobby shop is closing in Tucson, but they kind of did it to themselves. The ace hardware on Houghton and Valencia has the trx4 in stock. I've been looking at it for the last few months, just because they carry traxxas so their the only place for replacement parts in the tucson area, so trx4 would be convenient for instant part replacement.

sixty9volks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:47 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Trx-4 has had great results. I love mine! Gen 8 really looks cool and I really like what they have going with it, but I'm not into buying something hot off the presses. I'm excited to see how they do and hold up to abuse.
AnimalHippie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:53 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

So far I really like my gen 8 scout... I opened up the tranfer case and differentials and was impressed at the size of the lockers and gears..it crawls well and has good wheel speed. Time will tell about durability.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Of the trucks you listed, the Gen 8 hands down. It's second only to the TRX-4. A real close second. I've been hammering on mine pretty good at most of the east valley (phx) crawl spots. No complaints. The plastics are way better than Axial. Some upgrades are already available with much more on the way. Some aftermarket companies are already on board & shipping Gen 8 products. Plus Redcat is all over social media interacting with customers everyday, including the engineers that designed the truck. They really stand behind the Gen 8.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'm going to have to recommend the TRX4 as well. It would be my pick over everything on your list. That said, I hear a lot of positive comments about the Gen8 but because it is so new there is currently not a lot of aftermarket support for it.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-29-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
None of the above.

Trx4 in any flavor not a sport model.
Thanx. As much as the TF2 gets hung up I still enjoy driving it just because its a challenge to keep up with the other rigs. I do like the TRX4 but I am a little bit afraid that it will be too easy. I guess I could let my 7 YO drive the TRX, then Id really have a challenge to keep up!
Old 01-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
I agree with white-trash. For the terrain your describing a trx4 would be great. I love my trx4, it is very capable, and reliable. It is definitely worth the extra cost and aftermarket support is great, so if you do break something all parts are available.
The other option not mentioned is you could convert your scx10 to a scx10ii with portals by ssd or high altitude performances. I've heard these conversions are not too hard and are very capable.
good luck.
Thanx. Reliable is a word I like. I'll give the TRX4 another look.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
You're in AZ, Redcat is based in the Phoenix area, I would go with the Gen 8. I absolutely love mine, it is going to be a force to be reckoned with.
If you didn't want to wait, then yeah the TRX is also a great rig.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
yeah, i have always avoided Redcat...I kind of felt like they were a big box store brand with low quality...but the new Gen * Scout with portals looks good. I think it may be a winner.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9volks View Post
I live in Vail, I have a sawback, took it up gates pass, performed better than expected. For what it's cost was, it's a very capable rig. A few of the guys ran trailfinder2 and one ran a trx4, if I build another, I'm going trailfinder, but the trx4 was awesome as well.

Maybe I missed something but the Sawbacks I have seen are all quite a bit more expensive than the rigs I mentioned. The MST looks very comparable to a Sawback but was only 2/3 the price.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9volks View Post
Kind of bummed our only hobby shop is closing in Tucson, but they kind of did it to themselves. The ace hardware on Houghton and Valencia has the trx4 in stock. I've been looking at it for the last few months, just because they carry traxxas so their the only place for replacement parts in the tucson area, so trx4 would be convenient for instant part replacement.

I didnt know Hobby Town was closing? Not that I shop there anyway. I was always a Hobby Barn guy and I couldnt believe it when they closed. Andy over at Hobby Barn was A1+ in my book.
Is there a Crawler club in Tucson? I am actually in Bisbee but Id travel up for a comp now and then.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Trx-4 has had great results. I love mine! Gen 8 really looks cool and I really like what they have going with it, but I'm not into buying something hot off the presses. I'm excited to see how they do and hold up to abuse.
Agreed. Id like to see a bit more first as well. Never was a Redcat fanboy.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
So far I really like my gen 8 scout... I opened up the tranfer case and differentials and was impressed at the size of the lockers and gears..it crawls well and has good wheel speed. Time will tell about durability.
Do you own any other Redcat products? Reliability issues?
Old 01-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
Of the trucks you listed, the Gen 8 hands down. It's second only to the TRX-4. A real close second. I've been hammering on mine pretty good at most of the east valley (phx) crawl spots. No complaints. The plastics are way better than Axial. Some upgrades are already available with much more on the way. Some aftermarket companies are already on board & shipping Gen 8 products. Plus Redcat is all over social media interacting with customers everyday, including the engineers that designed the truck. They really stand behind the Gen 8.
Interesting. You dont work for them do you? The GEN 8 does look like great and the price is good to for what you get out of the box.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #20
wyd
Rock Crawler

I help out a hobbyshop and would never tell anyone to buy Redcat anything. Over the years I have seen too many problems with them and getting parts is another nightmare. Just my opinion and what I see at the shop.

Last edited by wyd; 01-20-2019 at 03:36 PM.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote

I cant decide!!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help me decide 93 FORD BRONCO 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 07-25-2010 08:54 AM
i cant decide... talon0713 Redcat Crawlers 3 06-25-2010 02:10 PM
I can't decide what to do. THE CRAWLER KING Non Crawler RC's 10 04-13-2010 02:13 PM
How did you decide on your first? Sydwaiz Newbie General 31 03-13-2009 01:28 AM