Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Space the final frontier......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Space the final frontier......

President Kennedy's vision for NASA:

President Kennedy speaks to Congress on May 25, 1961.

In a time of uncertainty at home and abroad, an American president proposes bold new steps in the exploration of space.

He calls for "longer strides "which may hold the key to our future here on Earth." He touts the potential of "even more exciting and ambitious exploration of space, perhaps beyond the moon, perhaps to the very end of the solar system itself."

Kennedy's "Special Message to Congress on Urgent National Needs" came on May 25, just three weeks after Mercury astronaut Alan B. Shepard became the first American in space. Delivered at the height of the Cold War with the Soviet Union, the speech is best known for Kennedy's audacious challenge to NASA and America:

"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to Earth."

NASA fulfilled that goal on July 20, 1969, when Apollo 11's lunar module Eagle touched down in the Sea of Tranquility, with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin aboard. A dozen men would walk on the moon before the Apollo program ended. The last of those men, Gene Cernan, left the desolate lunar surface with these words:

"We leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind."

Barry's vision for NASA:

In a far-reaching restatement of goals for the nation’s space agency, NASA administrator Charles Bolden says President Obama has ordered him to pursue three new objectives: to “re-inspire children” to study science and math, to “expand our international relationships,” and to “reach out to the Muslim world.”

Of those three goals, Bolden said in a recent interview with al-Jazeera, the mission to reach out to Muslims is “perhaps foremost,” because it will help Islamic nations “feel good” about their scientific accomplishments."

So the National Aeronautics and SPACE Agency's foremost objective is no longer space exploration, it's foremost goal is now making Islamic nations feel good about their scientific accomplishments?

Is there still any doubt were B.O.s aliances lie?

Last edited by dezfan; 07-06-2010 at 10:50 PM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
So the National Aeronautics and SPACE Agency's foremost objective is no longer space exploration, it's foremost goal is now making Islamic nations feel good about their scientific accomplishments?

You lie! You LIE!!!.......
I could've sworn he was shutting down NASA and outsourcing it to the Russians. Edit: Or was it the Chinese?

Last edited by ThinkTank; 07-07-2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: I forgot something.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

What can you expect?

Who knows who the head of NASA is? (not a rhetorical question)

Answer___________________________
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:16 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
President Kennedy's vision for NASA:

President Kennedy speaks to Congress on May 25, 1961.

In a time of uncertainty at home and abroad, an American president proposes bold new steps in the exploration of space.

He calls for "longer strides "which may hold the key to our future here on Earth." He touts the potential of "even more exciting and ambitious exploration of space, perhaps beyond the moon, perhaps to the very end of the solar system itself."

Kennedy's "Special Message to Congress on Urgent National Needs" came on May 25, just three weeks after Mercury astronaut Alan B. Shepard became the first American in space. Delivered at the height of the Cold War with the Soviet Union, the speech is best known for Kennedy's audacious challenge to NASA and America:

"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to Earth."

NASA fulfilled that goal on July 20, 1969, when Apollo 11's lunar module Eagle touched down in the Sea of Tranquility, with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin aboard. A dozen men would walk on the moon before the Apollo program ended. The last of those men, Gene Cernan, left the desolate lunar surface with these words:

"We leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind."

Barry's vision for NASA:

In a far-reaching restatement of goals for the nation’s space agency, NASA administrator Charles Bolden says President Obama has ordered him to pursue three new objectives: to “re-inspire children” to study science and math, to “expand our international relationships,” and to “reach out to the Muslim world.”

Of those three goals, Bolden said in a recent interview with al-Jazeera, the mission to reach out to Muslims is “perhaps foremost,” because it will help Islamic nations “feel good” about their scientific accomplishments."

You have wayyyyyy to much free time to come up with stupid shit. Take out the trash or something.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanantrdsc View Post
What can you expect?

Charles Bolden
bivens22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Why shouldn't Muslim's be interested in space? I'm sure some of them want to blow us up into it.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanantrdsc View Post
What can you expect?

The correct answer is VP Biden... The vp is the head of Nasa, kind of like how Obama is "head" of the military.

Now does he have any actual duties... well not really but, he does have to sign off on big stuff like space programs and such (ie missions to mars/moon/jupiter and manned missions to the sun)
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
The correct answer is VP Biden...
God help us....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I see the point of the move, using NASA to inspire kids to like and learn the maths and sciences has some merit. Though kids now more than ever would be impressed with missions to the moon (and to prove the many conspiracy theorists who still feel thats a lie, myself included).

I see using it to help with international relations, but more so the space station being international. It's not like this will be a peace keeping mission.

Finally the third point...ugh. Since these are Bolden's words we can only see one side. I would hope he would not single out a race/culture or worse religion. Separation of church and state was the founding fathers, almost all deists, goal. We need to work harder on removing the church from persuasion which has recently caused more problems than helped. Bush and Obama are both carrying too much interest into church relations and whacko ideas.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivens22 View Post
Charles Bolden
That's correct.

Check out Bolden - another Barry plant.

In regards to the original post:
"Michael Griffin, who headed NASA during the last four years of the Bush administration, says the space agency’s new goal (my emphasis) to improve relations with the Islamic world and boost Muslim self-esteem is a “perversion” of NASA’s original mission to explore space. “NASA was chartered by the 1958 Space Act to develop the arts and sciences of flight in the atmosphere and in space and to go where those technologies will allow us to go,” Griffin said in an interview Tuesday. “That’s what NASA does for the country. It is a perversion of NASA’s purpose to conduct activities in order to make the Muslim world feel good about its contributions to science and mathematics.”

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/bl...#ixzz0t0S3G000
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Barry's vision for NASA.....
Are you surprised? I'm not
Anybody care to guess how much more damage he'll do in the 928 days he has left in office?
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I dont like either party anymore but I had hopes for Obama becasue he had a chance to make this country better but he has run it into the ground.

I have loved everything about space sence I was 5 or so when my grandma would read any book she could find on space to me. Now for the U.S.A. space is to far away and Obama just destroy all hope for amaricans in space. for NASA to reach out to the Muslim people to make them feel better about them selfs is total BS!!! NASA is a goverment agency,goverment and relgion need to be seperate. The Muslim world has done nothing for space travel. So why do we need to destroy NASA and then make it reach out to people that have no space technology what so ever. I used to love this contry not so much anymore Obama is going to destroy it!!!

Last edited by jammin311; 07-07-2010 at 10:33 AM.
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
You have wayyyyyy to much free time to come up with stupid shit. Take out the trash or something.
Don't you have a global warming rally on the quad to attend?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Don't you have a global warming rally on the quad to attend?
other then attending tea parties and posting this stuff on RCC? what are doing doing about it?

we all know we have a corrupt government but how about trying to make a stand rather then just bitch about it? (not u specifically dez, but the general "pissed off public" as a whole). all of us here on RCC read enough stuff posted thats mostly one sided and its understandable but i believe we have enough people on this board to make our voices heard, bu no one has the huevos to do anything (including myself)
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbio4422 View Post
other then attending tea parties and posting this stuff on RCC? what are doing doing about it?

we all know we have a corrupt government but how about trying to make a stand rather then just bitch about it? (not u specifically dez, but the general "pissed off public" as a whole). all of us here on RCC read enough stuff posted thats mostly one sided and its understandable but i believe we have enough people on this board to make our voices heard, bu no one has the huevos to do anything (including myself)
Hey I'm doing everything I can.

I regularly write, e-mail, and call my Senators and Congressmen. I donate money to the campaigns of candidates I support locally, regionally, and nationally. I vote in every election, I attend political rallies and I try to make people aware of what it going on, urge them to look into the issues, form their own opinion, get involved, register to vote, and then follow through!

You would be surprised how many people have no idea about the antics these liberal ass clowns in DC are pulling.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #16

Quote:
You would be surprised how many people have no idea about the antics these liberal ass clowns in DC are pulling.

About the same number of antics as the Conservative ass clowns
Just_Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
As if the republicans are/were perfect.

As soon as you realize the issue at hand is all government is corrupt all the time you might hop off your party as well.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

This way Barry has someone to blame when the Muslims still hate us in 2012.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
As if the republicans are/were perfect.

As soon as you realize the issue at hand is all government is corrupt all the time you might hop off your party as well.
Who said the Republicans are/were perfect?

I'm a Conservative first, if I find a Conservative candidate that represents my beliefs and happened to be a Dem, I'd be glad to vote for that candidate.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
This way Barry has someone to blame when the Muslims still hate us in 2012.
None of us will be around at the end of 2012.....gees....haven't you read up on your conspiracies lately?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote