Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: need help with what rifle scope to get

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
0 0

Default need help with what rifle scope to get

so i just picked up my new rifle. i'm looking to do some moderate long range target shooting. 400-600 yards. maybe more depending on how well i do with the short stuff

i'm lost on what scope to get. i'm trying to set my max at $500 for the scope. so if there are any other target shooters who can recommend a good scope let me know what you have.

its going on a 30-06 if it matters
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I have a Burris 3-9x50 on my '06 and hit over 400 yds. consistently...
http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-3...fle-scope.html
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have a Leupold VX 3-9x40mm on my Springfield M1A Scout. Bore sighted at 100yrds and shooting 300yrds dead on. I picked it up for about $285. Leupold has an excellent customer service and repair policy.
SLOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I shot a win 30-06 with the Leupold and I really like the scope. Like he said above the customer service is great. My hunting partner swears by the Burris, and to be honest the optics on both have great clarity. If you can save up for it sworovski has the best optics available, but you are looking at a grand for one of their scopes.
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

leupold or zeiss.
i have a zeiss 3x9x50mc and love it.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Wow, so many options. What kind of shooting are you doing? Or what type of scope and features are you looking for? Benchrest, hunting, tactical. You really can't go wrong with Leupold. Burris are nice, I have one on my 22-250. Nikons are nice as well. Meopta are nice, I have the 1-4x on one of my AR coyote guns. Super bright optics. My wife has a Mueller TAC II on her 700 and that thing has really great glass for the price! But my .50 sports a Nightforce, just a tad out of your price range though. Check out www.SWFA.com if you haven't already.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

What make, model, and barrel contour is your rifle?

What type of ammo (not caliber) are you using?
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:04 AM   #8
0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
Wow, so many options. What kind of shooting are you doing? Or what type of scope and features are you looking for? Benchrest, hunting, tactical. You really can't go wrong with Leupold. Burris are nice, I have one on my 22-250.
mostly just going to be bi pod target shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanantrdsc View Post
What make, model, and barrel contour is your rifle?

What type of ammo (not caliber) are you using?
savage edge. its probably the lowest priced rifle out at the moment. as far as what ammo, i'm still researching what the best off the shelf ammo is too.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

I just benchrest with rimfires, so 50 yards is about my max distance, but I like the higher power scopes for long range stuff, helps me with keeping the groups small.
Here's a 10-22 with a Weaver T-36:

The girlfriend always beats me though. Here's one of her better efforts using the above rifle, 5 shots, 50 yards:

gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
I just benchrest with rimfires, so 50 yards is about my max distance, but I like the higher power scopes for long range stuff, helps me with keeping the groups small.
Here's a 10-22 with a Weaver T-36:

The girlfriend always beats me though. Here's one of her better efforts using the above rifle, 5 shots, 50 yards:

All I can say is never piss that lady off dang good shot
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hende View Post
All I can say is never piss that lady off dang good shot

Yea, tell me about it. We were shooting at 25 yards one day, so I'm looking at her target through my scope, and she pulls this off, yea, it's 5 shots:

And she says,"I think that was a good one, honey" And I'm like "Yea that was nice babe"

Nominal bullet diameter is .218, so you can see the group is well under a tenth of an inch.

Last edited by gunnar; 07-01-2010 at 11:19 AM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

That is some fine shooting she was doing. My dad and I both do the long range comp stuff and we both use Leupold, but as stated the Zeiss are great also.
TXJeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
0 0

after doing alot of researching i found this web site where almost any scope is much cheaper here. then i found the link for the high power scopes. heres the one i'm probably going with. much cheaper than the name brands but all the reviews ive read for it seem pretty good.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...aspx?sku=53676
Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

If you're gonna go cheap, pay cheaper... http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/...%2BJDyOLrQE%3D
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
0 0

thanks for the link
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
R.I.P. Chip

I have a Leupold Var X III 3.5X10X50mm brand new condition that I was thinking about selling. It is the scope Leupold designed for CIA snipers. Very awesome piece of glass. PM me if you are interested.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #17
0 0

i set my budget kinda high at first. i'm fairly sure i'm going to stick with a cheaper scope for now and see if i'm even any good at long range shooting. thanks for the offer though
Old 07-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulus22 View Post
mostly just going to be bi pod target shooting

savage edge. its probably the lowest priced rifle out at the moment. as far as what ammo, i'm still researching what the best off the shelf ammo is too.
Don't overlook the cheap stuff. It helps if you know the rate of twist in your barrel, you can eliminate lighter or heavier rounds right off the bat.
I went to a gun show a few years ago with a Super Red Hawk that I got out of the paper and did not enjoy shooting. I traded it for a Savage 30-06 that looked like it could have come from Wal-Mart and some cash. Nothing fancy at all, I think it even had a Savage badged scope. For some reason, it loooved cheap ammo. I had Noslers, Speers, Hornaday, X-bullets, Super x's and such, but it would always shoot best with Wal-Mart Remingtons .
The poor mans rifle indeed.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Most important, stick to a quality brand scope. Cheap scopes often die, and do it rapidly, and at bad times.

A few things to decide, before you pick a scope:

>OBJECTIVE - 40 - 44- 50MM

>OBJECTIVE - ADJUSTABLE OR NOT - ADJUSTABLE IS REAL NICE

>ZOOM OR FIXED - EACH HAS ITS ADVANTAGES

>POWER - 3-9 IS THE MOST COMMON, 4-12 OR SIMILAR IS BETTER, AND POSSIBLY A LITTLE HIGHER ON THE TOP END COULDNT HURT

>RECTICLE - WHAT WORKS BEST WITH YOUR EYES AND BRAIN. I PREFER MIL-DOT AND TARGET DOT.

>WINDAGE AND ELEVATION - TARGET KNOBS ARE GREAT, WHETHER OPEN, OR WITH CAPS. AS LONG AS YOU CAN GRAB SOMETHING AND TURN IT ITS GREAT. SCREWS DRIVERS AND COINS JUST ARENT COOL.

As far as ammo, do a bunch of research and buy a bunch of different loads.
Every rifle likes something the best, including the same models and calibers.

I have 2 10fp's, one in .223 and one in .308. Still havent found out what the .223 likes the best. it seems to like Black Hills a bit. I have tried 168gr match boat tails in my .308, and they are good, but for whatever reason, the guns loves 165g soft tips. It also likes Winchester brass more than Remington brass (who knows why). Also dont go too heavy or too light on the bullet.

As far as Savages, prices, etc. Dont ever let anyone give you crap about owning a Savage. They are one of the most accurate rifles out of the box. Their barrels are incredible.

I have seen people with Savage 10FP's go up against people with Remington 700 police models. Lets just say, its a tie many times, once and a while, they lose by a it, and other times you can tell that the Remington owner is pissed or wants to cry because he paid twice as much, and lost to something half the price.

http://www.savagearms.com/news/article/?id=2K5nTzegQ

This is on my .308. The B&L line is now the Bushnell Elite series. This is what Barrett tosses on their .50 semi-auto. Fixed 10x40.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/sco...e3200/321040M/

This is on my .223, 6-24x44.

http://www.tasco.com/single.cfm?s=Ri...uct=tg624x44ds

With 24X, who needs a spotting scope? Well, a spotter is still nice, but its nice to see your own holes, and not have to move your head from the scope.

Last edited by wanantrdsc; 07-02-2010 at 12:37 AM.
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #20
0 0

when i first started looking into rifles again i hadn't heard of savage. but i did do a little researching before i bought it.

ide say they are doing something right. ( its not the same rifle i bought but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree)

Team Savage Takes National Title, Breaks 1,000-yard Record