Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Camry scammer across the US

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
0 0

Default Camry scammer across the US

Was looking for a car for my girlfriend and I emailed about a Camry for sale. As soon as I got the email back I knew it was a scam and did a little googling.

Here is the reply email I got back

"Hello ,
You have to know that the 1994 Toyota Camry LE I am selling is 100% working and great looking. The title is clear. It has 136,000 miles.This vehicle engine runs very, very smooth. Automatic Transmission, VIN: 4T1SK12E4RU336771. No electrical problems on this beauty. As I know that my current situation is pretty special I want the deal closed only through eBay's Buyer Protection Program in order for you to be 100% protected. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and inspect it (for 10 days) eBay will release the payment to me; in this way we are both protected. I am located in Athena ,Greece and I was sent here to improve the military relationships between our country and Greece. One month ago, my wife moved here with me and brought the car with her, but now we have to sell it back in the United States because In order to be able to register this car here, I would have to pay very high import/custom taxes. My final price on it is $1100. If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping. It will be shipped from here by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward to your place. You will receive the car in about 4 days. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them. Thank you and have a nice day,
Stephen Parsson"

Here is the car (San Antonio listing because the one by me has already been pulled)(he has a 1999 listed as well on the web)

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/2007553857.html

So don't be fooled if your inquiring about this car in your town.

romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I ran across a C/L ad when I bought my quad. This guy was allegedly stationed somewhere in the military. He claimed to have his 2009 Polaris sportsman 800 already packed up at a shipping company. He said it only had around 10 hours on it, nothing was wrong with it. He only wanted $3,000. Also tried the secured ebay payment crap.

The worse thing is that people are so dumb, they believe this shit & get ripped off all the time.
highhpcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
RCC Addict

There is no US military stationed in Greece since 1987 if I recall right.
Also the city is called Athens. Athena was a goddess. He must be a serious piece of dumba$$ to bring any car from the US here. Shipping alone would have cost him double the registration fees.
US cars just cannot get registered here, they don't meet loads of requirements.
After all who is this guy that can cumber a military plane to move his car around????
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
He must be a serious piece of dumba$$
Usually scammers arent too smart....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well, thats what ya get for trying to buy a jap car. hahahah jk

Had the same thing happen with a polaris ranger. Guy said he was in the military like the other guys deal said.

I dont understand what fun there is in stealing peoples money. Just get a job.
major94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Usually scammers arent too smart....
I guess you haven't met any serious ones.....
Old 10-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Well, I certainly havent fallen for any scams....so apparently they arent any smarter than I am....
Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
RCC Addict

You have one governing you if you haven't noticed. He seems smart enough to play dumb enough to become president......
We have a similar scammer over here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Well, I certainly havent fallen for any scams....so apparently they arent any smarter than I am....
Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You have one governing you if you haven't noticed. He seems smart enough to play dumb enough to become president......
Oh, I've noticed. It became perfectly clear when I met him a few years ago. We'll be voting for a new Texas Governor in the next month.....
Old 10-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
There is no US military stationed in Greece since 1987 if I recall right.
Also the city is called Athens. Athena was a goddess. He must be a serious piece of dumba$$ to bring any car from the US here. Shipping alone would have cost him double the registration fees.
US cars just cannot get registered here, they don't meet loads of requirements.
After all who is this guy that can cumber a military plane to move his car around????
We have a Naval station on Crete, but shipping a car to and from there is on the serviceman's dime.

I look at Craig's List as a large local swapmeet, business is always conducted face-to-face, and in public...

I'm always wary of adds that have some sort of a sob- story to go with a great deal.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
0 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I like how its coming via US Mil transport, and you can pick it up at any airport near you. Really, I didnt realize the the US Mil used any airport.
My brother worked at Comair, at CVG and he did tell me of military airplanes flying in and out of there. Don't know how common it was but they do.
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Hey Scott, the Naval base at Souda, Crete, you are talking about is a NATO base not a US facility. Actually the only places considered US territory in Greece is the embassy and a building in Aktaion central Greece that is used aerial intelligence. The later falls under NATO command and not the US military.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Nope, it is Naval Air Station, Souda Bay, Crete. Nato might use it, but it is operated and controlled by the US Navy.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...lity/sites.htm
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

What a lame scam..Its about as old as the i wanna put 10 million dollars into your bank account from uganda or whatever that african country is.These guys never quit..On a sad note,they must be getting the odd sucker because they are still at it
xv-townboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I've run across that same deal. Saw a nice 2007 Tacoma PreRunner for like $3500, figured something had to be up, but I emailed him anyway. I got the same basic "I'm in the military..shipping out....gotta use Ebay...BooSheet, boosheet, boosheet" thing.

Actually had one of those Nigerian scammers call the speedshop I work at. They were using IP Relay (they type from a TDD and the text is read to me by a third party operator). Wanting to buy several hundred spark plugs, as it went along the whole "I'll mail you a MO for way over the price blah blah blah.." I told the operator it was a scam, they put a supervisor on and terminated the call. Very strange. Later was told that the particular plug he was wanting to buy hundreds of were commonly used to detonate IED's. Scary.
KevMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

All of the services ship your POV "Personal Operated Vahicle" by boat and it;s all comercial, most of the time they only pay for one and if your going on a remote tour to Korea or to any of the Stans, then you get Nada.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote