Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: My new Kona JTS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default My new Kona JTS

Knowing there's a few folks on here into cycling, thought I'd share my recent purchase:

2011 Kona Jake the Snake I've wanted a cross bike for a long time, and needed a cheer up purchase after finding out I wasn't going to make it to scale nats this year

All stock for now. Hopefully the weather will warm up and I can actually get it out for a ride!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Very nice. First one of the Kona cross bikes I've seen. You planning on racing at all or just casual riding? I've been trying to convince myself to buy a cross bike for a few months now...and working at a bike shop isn't making that decision easier.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. This is replacing my old singlespeed commuter, but I do hope to get my ass in better shape for some races in the fall. Already been doing some stair/hill training for the running part ! We hold a few cross races locally in the fall and typical of most cross events, they're pretty laid back affairs.

We've got about 3" of new snow with more on the way, hopefully it melts quickly though, I want to get this out on the road and trails!
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I just put up a trek 2300 carbon edition for sale this past week, it's converted to a single disk (1/9 conversion) with mustache bars. Thing is ultra lite but I switched to a Trek 4500 hard tail and a seat shock. After my accident I just can't take the pounding the road dish's out any more and need a bit of suspension.
That's a nice bike though. Are thoughs Bontrager tires on it? Just curious if you like them. I put on a set of their Road tires (semi narrow) since my bike won't see any rock/dirt action and wondered how well their tires hold up since they seam a bit soft.

Here's what I went from and to, only thing now the 4500 has road tires.
Attached Images

Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
I just put up a trek 2300 carbon edition for sale this past week, it's converted to a single disk (1/9 conversion) with mustache bars. Thing is ultra lite but I switched to a Trek 4500 hard tail and a seat shock. After my accident I just can't take the pounding the road dish's out any more and need a bit of suspension.
That's a nice bike though. Are thoughs Bontrager tires on it? Just curious if you like them. I put on a set of their Road tires (semi narrow) since my bike won't see any rock/dirt action and wondered how well their tires hold up since they seam a bit soft.

Here's what I went from and to, only thing now the 4500 has road tires.
My old singlespeed is a steel framed 80s bike. Nice and light yet sturdy for commuting. I'll miss her, but he served me well !

Sorry to hear about your injury, but good to hear you're still on the bike riding. Bikes look good!

Tires are Maxxis Mudwrestlers. Will be a while before I can tell if I like them or not. The more hardcore guys go with tubies for their cross bikes, but I'll be sticking with clinchers for now.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
My old singlespeed is a steel framed 80s bike. Nice and light yet sturdy for commuting. I'll miss her, but he served me well !

Sorry to hear about your injury, but good to hear you're still on the bike riding. Bikes look good!

Tires are Maxxis Mudwrestlers. Will be a while before I can tell if I like them or not. The more hardcore guys go with tubies for their cross bikes, but I'll be sticking with clinchers for now.
Nice bike! I love cross bikes.

Convert to tubeless with Hutchinson or Schwalbe Tubeless Ready tires and a Stan's kit. You'll never regret it. I'm running Hutchinsons on my Ridley X-Fire and love them although I want to try the Schwalbes. I can run lower pressure without risking pinch flatting and with the Stan's sealant don't worry about puncture flats.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
Nice bike! I love cross bikes.

Convert to tubeless with Hutchinson or Schwalbe Tubeless Ready tires and a Stan's kit. You'll never regret it. I'm running Hutchinsons on my Ridley X-Fire and love them although I want to try the Schwalbes. I can run lower pressure without risking pinch flatting and with the Stan's sealant don't worry about puncture flats.
Thanks Zach! It should fit the terrain around here perfectly. I used to race xc bikes years ago when I lived in North Vancouver, but the trails are too tame out here to make it interesting. On a cross bike, it should be fun

Hadn't thought of tubeless on a cross bike, but yeah, that might just be the ticket without having to buy a whole new wheelset and tubulars. Will have to look into it more, thanks for the recommendation

Love the Ridley line of cross bikes btw. Great Euro heritage and race proven.