Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: seperation anxiety in dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

Default seperation anxiety in dogs

anyone deal with this we jus got a 1 year old lab retriever mix and he has it pretty bad. now since we all work and go to school he tears up his cage( broke the front door of it off) we have to literally ziptie the damn thing closed . we are going to try rescue remedy (some sort of natural sedative) and i will be taking him on runs( or he will be hahaha) but if we cant get it under control my parents wanna bring him back. soo any help is appreciated
crawler nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I wouldn't like being put in a cage all day either and would escape every chance I got.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #3

he goes in the cage fine and if ur right next to him he will jus go to sleep but if u leave he starts crying and then the destructive shit happens
Old 03-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
I wouldn't like being put in a cage all day either and would escape every chance I got.
Some dogs love their cage, for instance chihuahua's need a cage to make a "burro" out of that they feel safe in.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I can offer some advice.

This is a common issue with dogs but it can be remedied with patience, time and persistence.

Crating is a very useful and humane tool for dogs with both seperation and behavoir issues, but you must remember that his crate should never be used for punishment. He needs to know that when he's in it, he is safe and that you will come back. It can and will become a sanctuary of sorts for your dog.

If you start to use it as a punishment tool for bad behavoir you'll have a very difficult time breaking that cycle and he'll never want to go in.

One of the most important and beneficial things to establish first is a one word verbal command and sticking to it...always. Whether you use the word "crate" or "bed" or something else that will let him know it's time to go in, but always use the word that you chose.

Start by staying with him for about a minute after you crate him, then leave the room for two.

Come right back after the two minutes, reassure him that he's ok and praise him as you let him out of the crate.

Repeat this scenario a few times each day and slowly lengthen the time frame in which he's in the crate by himself. Ultimately you will get to a point where he will be able to handle being crated while you are actually away from home.

He will slowly gain your trust and come to understand that the crate is his space and that he won't be left and forgotten. As you know, dogs are incredibly smart and very routine oriented and he will learn to respect both the crate as his own space, as well as your request to go in when directed to do so.

Also, leave the door of the crate open at all times so that he can come and go as he pleases...this will help him acclimate and understand that he's not being punished. It's also important that anyone else who may be in and out of your home (especially kids) understands that the crate is your dogs space and not a place to play or use for other animals.

My wife and I rescued and fostered retired racing Greyhounds for a number of years and we were able to see first hand the benefits of having a crate to call home. Even with all the time they spent in crates at the tracks, they would still go in unprovoked from time to time simply because it was comforting and they knew that it was their second home of sorts.

Our own dog would have some seperation issues even after 10 years with us if he was left out of his crate for more than a couple hours without us being there.

You've chosen to take this animal in and care for him, which includes respecting and dealing with this feeling of seperation. The time you put in now will be given back ten fold over the years...anyone with a dog will agree I'm sure.

Good luck, and let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #6

thanks that was very informational creepycrawler
Old 03-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i got a german short haired pointer, and he suffers from huge anxiety. i also have him trained for " the cage ". the key is to not just use the crate for his alone time, or as his punishment corner. we have an open door policy with our poochies. they use it as their safe haven, and their resting spot.
exercise is key for our dogs. that and plenty of reassuring hugs and praises.
as previously noted, we also have one key phrase that never changes.
" load up " it's pretty standard, and i use it also for having the pointer bounce up into the xterra.
we now allow our dogs to snuggle in the bed with us once and a while. pointers make awesome snuggle companions and it's truly tough to tell him no. although both him and my wifes chocolate lab/ short hair pointer mix know our key phrase, " mommy ~ daddy time " they both will load up and leave us be.

i also trained him to not scratch my doors to go outside. i have hung a small wind chime next to the door at his nose height. when it's time to go out i had been ringing the bell, and saying one word... " out ". next step was to manually strike the chimes with his nose and open the door at the same time.
after a couple weeks of him hearing the bell and seeing the door burst open he now knows to simply ring the bell with his nose and he's out.
it's rewarding to be the owner of a good pet. to have a good pet you have to work at it. don't let your dog train you.
labs are really eager to please, and can often read emotion. treat your dog with respect, but keep it inline with your family pecking order.

good luck with your pooch.
let's see some pics !
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Holmes Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
I can offer some advice.

This is a common issue with dogs but it can be remedied with patience, time and persistence.

Crating is a very useful and humane tool for dogs with both seperation and behavoir issues, but you must remember that his crate should never be used for punishment. He needs to know that when he's in it, he is safe and that you will come back. It can and will become a sanctuary of sorts for your dog.

If you start to use it as a punishment tool for bad behavoir you'll have a very difficult time breaking that cycle and he'll never want to go in.

One of the most important and beneficial things to establish first is a one word verbal command and sticking to it...always. Whether you use the word "crate" or "bed" or something else that will let him know it's time to go in, but always use the word that you chose.

Start by staying with him for about a minute after you crate him, then leave the room for two.

Come right back after the two minutes, reassure him that he's ok and praise him as you let him out of the crate.

Repeat this scenario a few times each day and slowly lengthen the time frame in which he's in the crate by himself. Ultimately you will get to a point where he will be able to handle being crated while you are actually away from home.

He will slowly gain your trust and come to understand that the crate is his space and that he won't be left and forgotten. As you know, dogs are incredibly smart and very routine oriented and he will learn to respect both the crate as his own space, as well as your request to go in when directed to do so.

Also, leave the door of the crate open at all times so that he can come and go as he pleases...this will help him acclimate and understand that he's not being punished. It's also important that anyone else who may be in and out of your home (especially kids) understands that the crate is your dogs space and not a place to play or use for other animals.

My wife and I rescued and fostered retired racing Greyhounds for a number of years and we were able to see first hand the benefits of having a crate to call home. Even with all the time they spent in crates at the tracks, they would still go in unprovoked from time to time simply because it was comforting and they knew that it was their second home of sorts.

Our own dog would have some seperation issues even after 10 years with us if he was left out of his crate for more than a couple hours without us being there.

You've chosen to take this animal in and care for him, which includes respecting and dealing with this feeling of seperation. The time you put in now will be given back ten fold over the years...anyone with a dog will agree I'm sure.

Good luck, and let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Very good advice, Make sure to not use it as punishment, He must never think he's done anything wrong before he's put in it. It should be his place and nothing or no one should be allowed to get in it. Its also a good idea to have his toys and blanket in it with him.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD13 View Post
Its also a good idea to have his toys and blanket in it with him.
Thank you for adding that, it's very true and a necessity for keeping your pooch comfy.

The other thing we did is each time they would go in, we'd give a cookie (small biscuit) as a reward for listening to the command. If we forgot, our first dog Magic would stand there and stare at us and wouldn't lay down until we got him one

Also, Kongs and busy bones work wonders to keep their mind occupied
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
I can offer some advice.
Excellent advice.

Also, get shirt of yours. Wear that sucker a ton in the next few days. Sleep in it, exercise it it, etc. You want that thing to stink of you. Toss that in the crate. Also if the dog has a favorite toy, toss that in there (if the dog doesnt have one, find one). It also helps a lot of dogs to leave the radio on while you are gone. A reality is that the dog may always have it to some degree.
Dogs have personalities, you have to deal with that. Talk to your vet for ideas, and do some reading.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Having a dog with the issues you describe I would not suggest putting ANYTHING in the crate with him- he will more than likely chew it up and possibly choke to death on it... not even a toy. As he gets more used to his crate, and calms down, then you can add a small blanket or two.

We have always crate trained our dogs, we go so far as to feed them in their crates. They make dog dish holders that attach to the side bars on the cage.

Training a dog correctly takes time, but not as much time as re-training a dog.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
Having a dog with the issues you describe I would not suggest putting ANYTHING in the crate with him- he will more than likely chew it up and possibly choke to death on it... not even a toy. As he gets more used to his crate, and calms down, then you can add a small blanket or two.

We have always crate trained our dogs, we go so far as to feed them in their crates. They make dog dish holders that attach to the side bars on the cage.

Training a dog correctly takes time, but not as much time as re-training a dog.

p!nK
use a kong or kong type toy that you can fill with kibble or peanut butter and do small increments of confinement with the toy. a crate is a wonderful tool!
SoCo Crawlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I have a couple of thoughts on the subject. 1) You just got a 1yr old dog. Any time you get a dog as an adult you have have to ask why this dog was given up or just never adopted? Was he always a digfficult dog (bad breeding is not uncommon) or were the previous "owners" unable to train him properly? Were they unable to spend time with him? Trying to understand his life before you might help identify where the anxiety stems from. Was he crate trained before you got him? If not then crate training will be far more difficult than with a pup. Plus your dog is effectiveley a teenager which has many of the same issues associated with human teens. Raging hormones, high energy, pushing boundries, and finding his place in his pack.
2)Labs are a high energy, highly intelligent working breed. If not stimulated mentally and phsically they can be destructive. Running with him should be a tremendous help to the problem. My Lou Dogg and I love the dog park, he gets to burn off some steam and socialize, plus he leaves me the hell alone for a while! But his brain needs to worked as well. The best thing for that is MORE training. Wether it be obedience, hunting (field work if you don't hunt), agility something that causes him to think but also gives him the interaction with you he's craving. There are MANY books specifically for training Labs, find one.
3)While in the crate one trick for keeping him occupied for a good long while but holds no choking hazard is Purchase a toy called a Kong and fill it with penut butter. Labs are notorius chow hounds and are typically highly food motivated. Trying to get the peanut butter out of the small hole should keep him busy for some time. Plus it makes going into the crate VERY rewarding for him.
And I'll finish my diatribe with one simple fact. Possibly more than any other breed Labs just want to please people. That coupled with their intelligence is why they are used for more types of service work than any other breed. While they can be difficult there is a reason why many people who own one will never own any other type of dog. Good luck, I wish you and he the best!
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCo Crawlgirl View Post
use a kong or kong type toy that you can fill with kibble or peanut butter and do small increments of confinement with the toy. a crate is a wonderful tool!
You posted this while I was typing my novel, sorry not trying to steal your ideas. But I agree with you 100%!
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #15
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukwylde View Post
You posted this while I was typing my novel, sorry not trying to steal your ideas. But I agree with you 100%!
between my 4yr old and all my 3 dogs I had no time to explain it awesome!spot on! more people really need to research the breeds they look into buying or adopting. I love queensland heelers but would never recomend them to any of my friends due to how much time, effort and attitudes that heelers come with. alot of training and time is needed to have a happy, well adjusted and friendly heeler. and another breed that loves to please and learn and need alot of exercise.
SoCo Crawlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
Your dog can have a Kong, get a red one, unless its Jaws, then get a black one. This idea of nothing in the crate with the dog, is garbage, will make the dog more bored and anxious, and the choking to death seems a bit out there. Besides, would you want to sit in a crate and have no blanket for padding or warmth. Think not. Thats not treating an animal properly. The idea is to make him comfortable. The shirt will have your smell, and that is comforting also. Pinks got it wrong here, but Pinks more than a wee bit younger than I, so, that explains some of it.

These things take time. Labs also have a period for the first 2 years where they chew, destroy, etc. Just got to get past that, and it will get better.
Kennel training is good, but a kennel is not a home, so dont let it turn into puppy prison.

Love, attention, and exercise is what any pup needs.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
Sometimes, I make things.

Don't give up on your dog. If you got him @ 1yr, someone else has already gotten rid of the pooor thing, don't do it to him all over again.

I have a pitbull and he did the same thing until he was over 2yrs old. Your dog is still young, and has a trememdous ammount of energy to burn up. Expending some of his energy on walks will help, but the main thing is time. We tried to board my dog up in the kitchen w/ child gates, sometimes he was good, but most of the time he wrecked the place. He was house broken but would piss on the floor, he ate some cupboards, some moldings, tore all our coats off the wrack, and would generally just get into everything he possibly could (besides the garbage, he has never messed with that).

The sedative may work, but unless its your last resort, I would avoid it. I don't like drugging my dog, but I have to give him steroids for his allergies, he is allergic to evreything. I am working on ways to get him off the roids.

My advice, discipline the dog when you come home and you see he has went ballistic. I don't mean beat him but show him what he has done wrong and scold him well, let him know it isn't acceptable behavior. Labs are smart dogs, and since he is still young he should be easy to teach. Be consistant, don't let the behavior go un punished EVER. If he does it and doesn't get scolded, he will again think its ok to do that.

Dogs are a lot of work at first, but once you have them trained they are an invaluable companion. My dog is my best buddy, he is very well behaved now, we let him roam our house now while we are at work and he has not misbehaved in a long long time while we were away. He is almost 4 now, we had him in a crate most of the time up until he was 3 when we were away when we weren't trying to let him be boarded up in the kitchen. When he proved he couldn't handle that it was back to the crate. He likes his crate really, he feels safe in there, its his personal space.

It is also important to NOT use his crate for discipline. If he is bad, do NOT put him in his crate, because when you put him in there when you go, he will relate it to him being bad and it will confuse him. You want him to feel safe and comfortable in his crate, make it a nice place for him to be. When we crated our dog when we left we always gave him a treat when we put him in it, eventually he would know when we were leaving and sit in his crate and wait for his treat. Also vocally reward the dog, tell him he's a good boy. Food treats and vocal rewards are the best tools in training.

It took some time for my dog to mellow out. He is still a spastic, crazy beast but he is very well behaved and minds his Dad (me). All too often when a dog proves to be dificult, people will just give up on the poor thing, this is why shelters are flooded with dogs, and so many good animals are put down because the lack of patience, and commitment. So many people love Puppies, but when they get big, people get bored of them and get rid of them. (Not saying this is you, just rambling). It took a good bit of work, and commitment, but I am proud that my Pitbull sets a good example for the breed. I have literally had people be litterally tell me "Oh, your dog is so beautifull, what is it?" And when I reply a Pitbull they will turn their nose up at him, or tear their children away from him that were just petting him. My dog would never hurt a kid, I am more worried he would attack me over a child. My 2yr old nephew once walked right up to him and took his rawhide from him, he just layed their and let it happen, he won't let me near it. (I kept rambling, ahaha)

Nothing comes easy, if you work with your dog he will eventually become a big part of your life, and a part of your family. I wouldn't give my dog up for anything, because I know he would never give me up for anything. There is nothing more loyal than a good dog, they will always be there for you if you treat them like part of the family. You can't say that about people. Watch the dog whisperer, Ceaser has some really good advice for training dogs, there is only a handfull of techniques he uses, but its really all you need.

Sorry for rambling so much, but I love dogs, and hate to see people give up on them. We always had dogs growing up, we only got rid of 2 dogs, one just turned really mean and wanted to bite us, and the other would run off all the time, so we found it a home w/ a friend who hunted, it was a hunting dog so it was the right thing to do there. We lived close to a highway and didn't want it to get smooshed.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Lots of good advice here. I personally don't crate my labs. Training them to be well behaved in the home when were away wasn't too tough. Crating them also kind of defeats the purpose of the added security you get from having your dog in the house.

However if thats the route you want to go, everyone here has some very sound advice for effective crating.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #19
Sometimes, I make things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Lots of good advice here. I personally don't crate my labs. Training them to be well behaved in the home when were away wasn't too tough. Crating them also kind of defeats the purpose of the added security you get from having your dog in the house.
This is why I wanted my dog out of the crate, also in case there was a fire or someting my dog wouldn't be locked in a steel cage, he would be able to at least get away from it and hopefully my neighbors would be able to rescue him, and my cats. I didn't like crating him, but the bills he was racking up for me by slowly eating our entire house and what was within reach in it was more of an issue now he just sleeps on our couch all day and watches people walk by out our picture window. Its nice knowing I have a big dog guarding my stuff, especially with how common theft is nowadays. (I will stop here before I ramble on with 10 more paragraphs, haha)

Edit: One more thing. I did this w/ my dog when he was a pup. I put one of my Tshirts in the crate with him, not a clean one but one of my beater shirts I wore for a day, so it smelled like me. It was just something to remind him of me, and maybe make him feel safe like I was still there w/ him. (Might sound silly but I think it worked) He never tore up the shirts I did that with, or messed on them, I think he liked having them w/ him. Lots of toys he genuinely loves are key too, I have bought my dog tons of toys (he is spoiled) and when he isn't using them they get put back in his cage, its like his room in there. Toys he doesn't like, I give to friends dogs, but he has only not liked a few.

Last edited by crazyorigin; 03-28-2011 at 12:22 PM.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post

However if thats the route you want to go, everyone here has some very sound advice for effective crating.
I've crate trained all my dogs for the last 15-16 years and use it as basically their "room." Like a few others have said, it's their safe space, and often they'll just go sleep in there even if someone is home.

My Great Dane used to have really bad anxiety when I left the house, especially right after I moved into my new house a couple years ago. Without the crate, my house would have been destroyed. She always gets a treat before I leave, and now I don't even close the crate anymore.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote