Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Is Crawling Dead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Is Crawling Dead?

I got out of crawling when the scene here in Vegas died more than a year ago. As the economy went downhill so did participation at comps and eventually everyone just sorta gave up it seemed. So i sold my comp rig and went back to racing. Now im moving up to eastern washington and considering getting another comp rig so i came back here to RCC () to see what the scene was like. Its looks to me like participation is right back where it was when the AX10 came out, like some of the mainstream fervor has died down and now its the more diehard crawlers again from the 'make your own crawler' days.

Has it died off in your opinion? Or is it just back to where it was before everything went mainstream? Or is it still plowing ahead even bigger than before?
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
5th D Owner/Driver

If your moving up to Washington we would love to have ya crawl with us. There are multiple clubs and at our last comp (WARCRC) we had 30 1.9's, 30 2.2's and 15 Supers. It is definately not dead in the PNW!
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
dnf

the obamaconomy is putting a hurt on more than just this hobby.Everyones disposable income across the board has been significantly affected the last 2 yrs.And as a result,people are putting what matters most on the top of thier spending list....bills,food,fuel.Doesnt leave much for a hobby anymore.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
the obamaconomy is putting a hurt on more than just this hobby.Everyones disposable income across the board has been significantly affected the last 2 yrs.And as a result,people are putting what matters most on the top of thier spending list....bills,food,fuel.Doesnt leave much for a hobby anymore.
That and the price of staying competitive has gone up a lot with the xr-10's and as the popularity grew so did the competitive spirit of some people, which drove me away from comp crawling a couple years ago.

Scale 4 Life!
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I had to sell my crawler a few years ago to pay bills. Want to get another one but the wife won't let me right now. I don't comp, just use it when jeeping/camping. Cant wait to get another one. Xr10 on the wish list...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
That and the price of staying competitive has gone up a lot with the xr-10's and as the popularity grew so did the competitive spirit of some people, which drove me away from comp crawling a couple years ago.

Scale 4 Life!
Can't you go comp for fun? I'm always outgunned when I show up with my shafty, but I still have a blast and usually end up embarrasing at least a couple moa drivers when I place ahead of them.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

its pretty well on its last legs in my area. The economy has killed things, if I break my comp rig Im down till I can afford to fix which might be a while.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Like cboggs said crawling is alive and well in Washington ! We have 3 clubs and a lot of scaler as well as comp driving happens year round.When you get up here check us out ( http://www.ewrcrc.com/smf/index.php) as well as WARCRC,WPRCCA,and our Oregon bros too at ORCRC.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Glad to see you back...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I dunno about other states but Warcrc is big and growing--we had almost 70 cars at our last comp...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
Yashua

ARIZONA SEEMS TO BE A HOT SPOT (PARDON THE PUN) , IT DIES DOWN A LITTLE IN THE SUMMER (WHEN ITS OVER 105* OR HIGHER) BUT THE SEASONS ARE JUST STARTING AGAIN AND LAST FOR MONTHS.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Can't you go comp for fun? I'm always outgunned when I show up with my shafty, but I still have a blast and usually end up embarrasing at least a couple moa drivers when I place ahead of them.
Not when people are throwing trucks and radio and cussing up a storm, that's what scalers are for, even in comp form it's so much more laid back!
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #13
RCC Addict

In Oregon it's pretty dead unless your near the Oregon/Washington border. Even on orcrc it doesn't get much people on it. Makes me want to move up to Washington lol
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
its pretty well on its last legs in my area. The economy has killed things, if I break my comp rig Im down till I can afford to fix which might be a while.
Yup, I haven't been to any comps this year do to gas prices and doing stuff with my folks, work, and even the weather. I still have all of my crawlers and have no desire to get rid of them, I just haven't done anything more than bomb around the store with them.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
Not when people are throwing trucks and radio and cussing up a storm, that's what scalers are for, even in comp form it's so much more laid back!
I wouldn't want to comp with those guys either. I run with either NWARC or SMRCRC when I can and have a blast with both.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Crawling's a fad, it'll never catch on.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

It really depends on where you are. Crawling is not alive and well everywhere in Washington. Over in the Silverdale/Bremerton area they call a Honcho a crawler... But, judging from the WARCRC's last comp, they are doing a great job of keeping it alive and well east of Seattle.

There is an ebb and flow to any niche of this hobby. Down in San Diego we'd have a couple of comps with 40+ people, then a couple with less than 15, a couple of comps down the road the numbers are back up.

I think a big key to keeping crawling going is bringing fresh blood and making those new people feel welcomed, and helping them though the rough spots without making them feel stupid. That is what I think is really different about crawlers, we do this very well. We have our share of elitist buttholes, but most of us welcome the new people, are patient with them in comps and give them practical pointers on how to make their rigs perform better. Most of the top/sponsored/team/factory drivers I've talked to are more than willing to give a lack-luster driver like myself pointers and setup tips, and will hand you their rig so you can see how they have it set up, and answer your questions without making you feel like an idiot.

JMHO...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #18
Old guy

Quote:
I wouldn't want to comp with those guys either. I run with either NWARC or SMRCRC when I can and have a blast with both.

Quote:
I was hung over.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

with the exception of nationals, crawling is dead in vegas. we havent had an actual SinCityRCRC comp in a year or more now. to my knowledge there are about 5-6 people that still have rigs (that used to compete anyway) and like AZ, we hibernate in the summer time. ive got my scout and my sportsman tuber, neither have been run in a few months now. hell, right now i look at them and see a Dana 60 front axle sitting on the bench, so i might not even have them much longer...
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Crawling's a fad, it'll never catch on.
I came in here just to make sure this was posted.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote