Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Time Again For RCC's Annual AA Meeting. Today's Topic: What Exactly Is An Alcoholic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 08:20 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Time Again For RCC's Annual AA Meeting. Today's Topic: What Exactly Is An Alcoholic?

I've been getting ragged a lot lately by my fiance' and parents saying that I'm either on the road to becoming, or already am, an alcoholic.

I say BS.

My weekly routine is as follows: I generally drink some on the weekends, usually Sat. nights, and I usually drink enough to get drunk. Not plastered, just a good buzz. During the week the only time I drink is when my fiance' and I go out to a local family owned pizza parlor on Thursdays for the .99 bottle beer night. Occasionally, if I've had a hard/stressful day at work, I'll stop and get a few beers on the way home. This is not every week and usually only one night a week if I do.

I think part of the problem is that the two main people that are giving me a hard time don't drink. So to them any drinking could seem like too much. I told them I saw this show on A&E the other week where this lady had to have her three pints of Vodka every night for her to stay sane, and that that's an alcoholic. I told them I know millions of guys come home every night after work and have a few beers just because. I don't even do that.

IMO, alcoholism is all in the eye of the beholder. If you feel like you have to have alcohol and can't control yourself then I'd say you have a problem. If you can't go out to a restaurant without having a beer then that's a problem.

There's a big difference IMO between having to drink alcohol, and liking to drink alcohol.

Next...
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I was told that if you have 1 or more beers in a year then you are concidered and alcoholic.
I learned this at my DUI class.... EDIT: come to think of it, it wasn't at a DUI class it was at an alcohol servers class. I never had to take a class for my DUI.. My DUI was dropped..

I would have to disagree.

I feel that if you drink to get drunk or drink and can't stop until your drunk then your an alcoholic. I my self can have a beer or two and be fine and I don't HAVE to have it.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
RCC Addict

here is the deal-

only you can decide if you are an alcoholic. period!
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I stop drinking and it saved me a ton of money. I haven't had any Alcohol for 3 yrs or so. I used to drink like no other every night hittin the clubs. Drink to get drunk. But I got married and we both just stopped. Clod turkey. I will really not interested in drinking anymore.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
I stop drinking and it saved me a ton of money. I haven't had any Alcohol for 3 yrs or so. I used to drink like no other every night hittin the clubs. Drink to get drunk. But I got married and we both just stopped. Clod turkey. I will really not interested in drinking anymore.
Were you drinking when you typed that? J/K dude

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

If your fiancee has a problem with it then maybe you should tone it down...for her. If you are hell bent on getting wrecked then screw her and her family and do whatever you want(an alcoholic move). How about drinking just a little less? Or finding out what your soon to be wife thinks is an ok amount.(I disregard in-laws..they dont count)
S-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjeepbruiser
Were you drinking when you typed that? J/K dude

Mike
No just at work stressing out already. Got here and 3min into shift. **** hits the fan and has been that way since. I only get a min here and there to look at the boards. So mybe I should start back up on drink tonight. :-(
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrocks90046
here is the deal-

only you can decide if you are an alcoholic. period!
I'll drink to that!

sounds alot like denial to me...........trust me on this an alcholic NEVER thinks he is.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:25 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

There is nothing wrong with having a few beers after work. I've delt with alcoholics, many in my family have gone down that path. I would say give it up for a few months, see how that goes.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

based on the amount you drink I say no, you don't apear to be an alcoholic. The real question to find out though is, can you stop if you want to? As an experiment try not drinking for 2-3 weeks and see how it goes. IF you are a true alcoholic you will most not last that long. But thats not to say you couldn;t become one.
I say try that, quit for a couple weeks or a month and see how it goes, you don't sound alcholic to me though.
blue-beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjman
There is nothing wrong with having a few beers after work. I've delt with alcoholics, many in my family have gone down that path. I would say give it up for a few months, see how that goes.
Right there! thats the ticket!..Try it........if you cna go 2 months without wanting or needing a drink you are good to go......
Old 09-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

i drink every day. if im lucky. my only rule is its gotta be @least noon to start drinkin
Drunk all week so far..gonna get drunk and see *def leppord*.*journey* tonight

hey....what has 9 arms and sucks?

i do what i want.....all the time
Nando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando
i drink every day. if im lucky. my only rule is its gotta be @least noon to start drinkin
Drunk all week so far..gonna get drunk and see *def leppord*.*journey* tonight

hey....what has 9 arms and sucks?

i do what i want.....all the time

That is an alcoholic
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:40 AM   #14
Adilynsdad too!

AA is for quiters
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I used to drink ALOT!!!!!!!!! 4 or 5 times a week we would drink! Monday night Football = drinking, Tuesday night Elks meeting = drinking, Friday night at the bar = unconsciousness! Saturday and Sunday at the river or the dunes = drinking!

Then one day about 3 years ago a little thing called Diabetes made it's presences know. My life hasn't been the same since!

It stopped my drinking pretty much in it's tracks! I still have a beer every once in a while, but to be honest, I really don't miss it!

Every once in a while I get the urge to tie one on, but about that time I remember all the stuff I went through w/ my diabetes and the urge goes away.

I say try not to drink for while, if you can go 6 or 8 weeks w/o it, you might surprise yourself, and definetly save a grip of cash!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

http://www.aa-uk.org.uk/publications/areyou.htm

test to see if you have a problem
Old 09-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

i was 18 and drinking every day. everyone said i was an alcholic. i told them i wasn't and i could quit anytime i wanted to. so i did. that was 20 years ago, and i havn't had a drink since.
sometimes i think about it though.......
aint scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:14 AM   #18
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
http://www.aa-uk.org.uk/publications/areyou.htm

test to see if you have a problem
Wow, we should have had Fish and JIA take that test sunday morning

Sunday I saw JIA walking around with his hangover sized bottle of gatorade. I never saw fish get out of his chair
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I took the test above ^. There were no "sometimes" answers lol, but there were only two questions that I would have answered sometimes to.

1. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?

No I don't go out to drink every time because I hate life or my job or anything like that. Usually when I drink on the weekends it's to kind of forget about the usually stressful week I've had at work or being hassled by bill collectors through the week. I don't do it to drink myself into a coma or anything, to me it's just a way to relax, unwind from the week, and hang out with friends.

2. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?

The only reason I would even think about answering "sometimes" to this is that I'm an frequent pool player/hustler (try to anways) lol. When I'm at bars and playing I generally do better with a few drinks in me, it loosens me up. Other than that, no I don't drink to "build self-confidence".

To the few that mentioned to try stopping for a few weeks, there are times when I won't drink for a few weeks at a time. Usually it's when I just don't have a lot of money or when I have other things planned. My life doesn't revolve around drinking, I do do other things.

I have no doubt that I could stop drinking if a situation arose like some of you have mentioned. But as this point I don't see any reason to stop doing something I like to occasionally.

I still say there's a difference between not being to control yourself and having to drink, and just liking to drink.

Is it bad that the ringer on my cell is "Alcohol" by Brad Paisley lol?
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
I'll drink to that!

sounds alot like denial to me...........trust me on this an alcholic NEVER thinks he is.
as someone with over 16 continuous years being clean and sober, i KNOW i am an alcoholic! you need to trust me on this.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote