Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Anybody using an external hdd+hardware media box?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Anybody using an external hdd+hardware media box?

Just looking for some opinions on whats working well.

My plan was to figure out a simple htpc setup, just an external hdd and box pretty much. Small enough to hide behind the tv and cheaper than a dedicated htpc.

Whatcha got and how's it working for you? How is the gui on these boxes?
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I have a Logitech Revue Google TV and I love it. It has a USB port that I hook my external hdd up to and play movies off of but I also installed an app called Video Mixer Pro and it streams movies off the internet rather than downloading them and saving them. Basically anything you can get on torrent sites it will stream the movies rather than waiting to download it.

They have newer and better Google TV boxes now. The Logitech Google TV box I have is an older one that is no longer made. I have always wanted a HTPC but now that I have the Google TV it does everything I have ever wanted.

Sent from my Phoneamathingy
ToyotaKing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anybody using an external hdd+hardware media box?

Thanks for that, good tip on the streaming from torrent links. Although I'm trying to move away from streaming, the Netflix throttling has left a really bad taste in my mouth. I don't mind torrenting a few movies before bed and letting them go all night like it's 2001 all over again.

Still debating on replacing my htpc or slimming the whole thing down.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Not much interest, but in case someone is searching... From reading about very much more complicated setups to what I'm planning, a raspberry pi with openelec/xbmc+wd external 500gb drive will be a cheap and apparently easy setup with a small footprint physically/electrically. The raspberry pi board is pretty barebones but there are kits available. Openelec/xbmc is free and also pretty much barebones, but thats the idea. No streaming yet is needed for this setup, though the setup is capable.

For the interested:
Raspberry Pi
OpenELEC Mediacenter - Home
Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Also TBS Technologies makes the Matrix board. That works with their USB tuner and has a mini PCI slot and a SATA port, No USB 3 though.

TBS Matrix ARM Linux mini PC - LinuxTVWiki
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I use my xbox 360 to stream media stored on my regular PC. Tversity software on the computer coverts things on the fly to a format the xbox will play.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Are you on Comcast or Verizon? I haven't experienced Netflix throttling but I think I used to get throttled for torrent use. I would suggest getting your internet from a small local company. They are much less likely to throttle (or care about torrents). You can try a VPN like unblockus. It may or may not help. Fwiw the ps3 will stream from your home computer. No extra gear needed.

Last edited by Calderwood; 05-04-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallguy View Post
Also TBS Technologies makes the Matrix board. That works with their USB tuner and has a mini PCI slot and a SATA port, No USB 3 though.

TBS Matrix ARM Linux mini PC - LinuxTVWiki
Wow I haven't seen this arm device, looks to be viable as well actually. Raspberrypi seems to be the in thing now for some htpc guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
I use my xbox 360 to stream media stored on my regular PC. Tversity software on the computer coverts things on the fly to a format the xbox will play.
That's my only problem, no large (as in hdd space) desktop in my home. Couple laptops, tablets and phones. Otherwise I'd go this route with the 360 in the front room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
Are you on Comcast or Verizon? I haven't experienced Netflix throttling but I think I used to get throttled for torrent use. I would suggest getting your internet from a small local company. They are much less likely to throttle (or care about torrents). You can try a VPN like unblockus. It may or may not help. Fwiw the ps3 will stream from your home computer. No extra gear needed.
Att uverse here... I can play YouTube on the Blu-ray fine, Netflix lags. On the laptops/tablets same deal. My normal speed when torrenting is 500-600kb/sec, granted it's only done occasionally with the lack of hdd space currently.

Anybody using an external hdd+hardware media box? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External HDD or no? kurt Chit Chat 11 05-18-2010 08:14 PM
New Mexico Media ColquittCustom405 New Mexico 2 02-17-2008 04:18 PM
HDD and DVD camcorders rockwerks Chit Chat 8 06-20-2006 10:04 PM