Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Wait for a Yeti or get a Slash 4x4 Ultimate today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #1

Default Wait for a Yeti or get a Slash 4x4 Ultimate today?

Not sure this post is in the right spot, mods feel free to move it if needed...
I'm selling my Wraith and would like to get a go-fast rig. I prefer the scale looks of the short course trucks and had pretty much decided on a Slash 4x4. Until I started seeing the you tube promos for the Yeti...
I highly doubt I'd be racing the slash as there aren't any tracks nearby. I'm a little worried the Yeti RTR will be like the Wraith and break parts the first time out. I'm also worried that Axial will push back the release date further or rush the release and deliver cars that have poor quality parts or have every fastener come loose...
I'm really digging the looks of the rock racer and don't mind waiting a couple weeks if the quality is gonna be there. Some if the promo vids show some big jumps and some hairy wrecks that they seem to drive away from. Not sure if these cars have been beefed up or already had the weak links fixed.
The Slash that I'm looking at is about $100 more than the Yeti, so some upgrades would be ok.
Just looking for pros and cons from anybody that has had a chance to run both. Thanks in advance!
BIGNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wait for a Yeti or get a Slash 4x4 Ultimate today?

There's no question you will eventually break something with a basher. If you really want to know how these have been working, jump back to the main Yeti forum and read the detailed reviews and threads that guys like Jason, Badger, Harley, Delmonte, etc have posted. With all the pics and feedback it should be pretty obvious where the weak points are and these guys will find them.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I beat the piss out of my Axial Exo....only a few weak points (motor mount, hub carrier and spindle) but once either replaced and reinforced....never really had issues. One of my bash buddies has a Platinum Slash, he digs it.....runs good.

I ran a MMP with a 3800KV and a 3s all day long. Ran great. I'm lined up for a Yeti to build a Go fast rig for sure!! Just my two cents.
tcm glx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Slash is your safe bet. proven design, proven chassis, loads of option parts. It's also getting to be an older truck and although they are great, and bulletproof, they are nowhere near as exciting as a new release. you mentioned being concerned about durability and I understand because I feel like even the handful of people who have them already have so much money into them that no one has really pushed this thing stock to see what it will hold up to.

You're talking about a truck that is not out yet so you're taking the risk. for me personally, id go for the risk. Unless you have a hobby shop nearby you that stocks loads of slash parts in which case, that may be useful for bashing
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I haven't driven a Yeti yet but I will say this based on my general RC experience, give a long thought to how and where you think you'll be driving most and then buy the truck that will be best for that terrain. I have more than one RC that I really love the look/idea of, but they just sit around the house collecting dust because I'm rarely at an appropriate place to drive them. I really wasn't all that in to the scaler/crawler scene until I decided to build a wraith just because it was different than anything I had. I found that not only did I enjoy crawling as much as I enjoyed other forms of RC, but more importantly I was much more frequently in places that were great for crawling but not all that great for any of the others! Now my Wraith and my SCX10s get way more wheel time than all my other RCs combined (cars, planes, and quadcopters)! Crawlers and scalers are the ultimate camping toys by the way. Our small fleet of trucks is almost as important as the tent on our gear list as far as my sons and I are concerned! Now I'm not pushing crawling or any specific truck over any other. A lot of people see something that looks cool or new and they get all excited about all the fun that could be had with that, and they buy it without really thinking about how or if they'll really get their moneys worth out of it. I include myself in that group unfortunately! I've got thousands of dollars of rarely used RCs! So be smarter than me! In the end you'll be way happier with any RC you actually use than the coolest RC sitting in your garage.
crockins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
RCC Addict

if you ever plan on playing around in rocks, get a Yeti.

If you're just going to go fast and jump, get a slash

I just sold my 2.2 wraith based tube chassis as well as my 2wd slash for a Yeti that will do double duty of both previous rigs (should be good at both bashing and crawling-with a sensored setup and locked front end, but not perfect at either)
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The Slash with some minor upgrades is pretty much bulletproof, i've broken 3 ring & pinions plus 2 sets of planetaries in my Savage Flux HP and never had a problem with my Slash with a Mamba monster 2200 motor
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I believe crockins pretty much nailed it. The thing with the Yeti is that I see it being a multi purpose rig for some. For those that like to hit the track or jumps, the Yeti can do that. And for those that like to crawl or hit the rocks, it can do that also. After watching Richdog's video I really think this will be a perfect in between truck for a lot of people.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I also agree with crockins. I myself wanted a Yeti but I am very impatient so I bought a Traxxas 4x4 pede (similar to the slash 4x4). I have a lot of fun with the pede and I will prolly end up with a Yeti sooner or later.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
There's no question you will eventually break something with a basher. If you really want to know how these have been working, jump back to the main Yeti forum and read the detailed reviews and threads that guys like Jason, Badger, Harley, Delmonte, etc have posted. With all the pics and feedback it should be pretty obvious where the weak points are and these guys will find them.

Dna
Thanks, I did some more looking and listening. Seems the Yeti is gonna be the best fit for me.
Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'm with you on the RTR Yeti. I'm skeptical because of my experience with the Wraith RTR. Smoked the motor on pack 3 and had nothing but problems until I finally replaced the ESC and replacement cans (Traxxas Titan 550 12T and Integy 35T Lathe motor) with something better. Now that my Wraith has a sufficient power plant, it's almost exactly what I was expecting out of it.

I do agree with what SoCal Crawler said, though. The guys that have these rigs already seemingly have endless budgets (even if that's not the case) and they keep adding hop-up parts, which doesn't really give a clear indication of how this thing holds up in stock form. Don't get me wrong, I'll be adding aftermarket parts to mine, too, but not likely right out of the box.

Long story short, though....the Yeti will likely be my next RC.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 AM   #12

Has there been any update on the release date? Still early Sept I hope...
Thanks again for the info guys!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
RCC Addict

The Slash will give you hours of smashing around the yard fun. Jump it, try and race it, have fun with it. It will break, but parts are available everywhere, and cheap.

The Yeti will break. Limited parts availability in the short term, and compared to traxxas absolutely long term also. And for it to come anywhere near the slash as far as durability you will spend at least the purchase price ( probably nearly $1k in hop ups if you want bullet proof). As long as you understand you will spend 3x the money on the Yeti as the slash you should be OK.

They are not really in the same class of car. The Yeti is a rock racer, the slash is a short course truck with a back yard basher background.

If you ever think you will see a track with it, the slash is a poor choice. Also if you want to do any rock crawling it is not well suited.

For a track car, the Losi SCTE is 10x the slash.

For a basher the Yeti "should" be OK once you upgrade the little things like :

Links
gears ( diff and tranny gears )
servo
esc
motor
tires
wheels
shocks
knuckles/bearing carriers
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

If you're not going to be racing, and only bashing then why a SC truck? They are pretty limited for a bash rig due to their low ground clearance and smaller tires. IMHO, a monster truck is the ultimate bash only rig. Plenty of ground clearance, large tires to roll up and over rocks etc, tons of suspension travel, and built to be abused. A brushless E Revo or Savage flux would be at the top of my list if I were in your position. They're a bit more money up front, but I think it's worth it in the long run. Heck, even my mini E Revo VXL will go places my Slash never would, it's fast as hell, batteries are $10 a pop, and it's been bombproof (with about $50 in upgrades) for two years all for $300. Just my worthless $.02
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #15

I just bought the Yeti today.

Within 10 minutes I had to replace the grub nut on the front drive shaft as the original one ummm.. fell out.

Within 15 minutes I had to loc-tite the left rear wheel lug.

Within 20 minutes I had to glue all four tires.

I was running lipo 3s 11.1 but didn't (couldn't exceed 30 mph).

Other than THAT... it handled great but not happy with speed and not happy with the fact that this is definitely not RTR. Production was probably rushed. After another 30 minutes of bashing it is holding up fine.
rwhite32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #16

Frankly I wish I had gotten the 4wd slash....
Old 08-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #17
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite32 View Post
I just bought the Yeti today.

Within 10 minutes I had to replace the grub nut on the front drive shaft as the original one ummm.. fell out.

Within 15 minutes I had to loc-tite the left rear wheel lug.
Did you read the part in the owners manual where they tell you to double check all the nuts and bolts and screws, and to apply loctite where there is metal-to-metal contact? I guess not.

Quote:
I was running lipo 3s 11.1 but didn't (couldn't exceed 30 mph).
There is more gear reduction in the Yeti than there is in the run-of-the-mill sc truck or truggy or whatever. Hence the lower than anticipated speed.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
Frankly I wish I had gotten the 4wd slash....
Probably should have.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #19

No... I hate manuals. I use them after things break. I just thought that "RTR" meant "Ready to Run". That being said, your point is valid. I'm just rejoining this hobby -- I'm not qualified to bash anything (figuratively) -- just saying what Day 1 was like with the Yeti.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Chop a slash4x4 and wraith in half then make your own ifs rig... if that's what you're after.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote