Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: I need a new set of wheels.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default I need a new set of wheels.

I've been into Subaru cars since... forever ago. I've had 5, so far. My current car is a 2002 WRX Sport Wagon, but it needs... Too much for repairs. Engine, transmission, body work, etc. So, I've started thinking about a new car.

I've been looking at BMW's. Specifically, an E39, 2002 or 2003. I have decided I'm going for a black 540i. I worked at a BMW repair shop, so I know how to fix it when it needs repairs...

So, someone either talk me into it or out of it...
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2015, 01:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I almost pulled the trigger on a used E39 540 6-speed many years ago. Would have traded in the Acura TL I had at the time, and in the end, glad I didn't. The 540 drives brilliantly, but I held off, kept the Acura for a while, and later ended up getting an E46 M3 convertible as a weekend car. If I had it to do now, I'd go E46 330i ZHP sedan (another one that I almost bought just before buying a business instead...should have bought the car, lol) as a daily driver instead of the 540. Like the 540, the 330 ZHP drives brilliantly, but it has less stuff that breaks. Even though you know how to fix it, parts get very pricey, and wouldn't you rather spend the time driving it?

You'll miss that WRX. It took my wife a couple of years to forgive me for trading in her Forester XT manual (with sway bars, short-shift kit and shifter bushings) for the Odyssey once we had kids. Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: I need a new set of wheels.

The WRX needs a new engine, transmission, and... Too much stuff. If I keep it, it'll be getting built. 2.1 stroker, twin scroll turbo, 6 speed... But that stuff right there costs more than a 540i.

I'm not totally set on the 540i. I've also been thinking about a 2005 STi. Or even a BRZ (there is a guy nearby selling a turbocharged 450 RWHP BRZ for a decent price). I feel like I'm a little bit more grown up than I used to be, and that's making a BMW seem more appealing.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Your grown up comment caught my attention. There are going to be times when you want to relax and travel, not keep repairing a car. Old cars are notorious for constant repairs.

If possible a bmw 540D and that too not more than 4-5 yr old and less driven with service record.

note: Personally, I love the 540D so I am biased. New cost 90,000 USD in India:(
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
~THE SCALE SHOP~

for me the order would go 400hp BRZ>STI>stock BRZ>any BMW.

for what you pay BMWs dont impress me. and the maintance and parts costs are just more insult to injury.

as a side note if your that far all over the map with car choices, then its probly best to hold off until you know exactly what you want.
other wise its just like giveing a blank check to your wife on a shopping spree. yeah, shes gonna come home with something new, but is it something she really wanted or needed?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

What's your budget and how often would you use 4 doors?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by new2rocks; 08-20-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I don't really have a set budget. The BRZ... Is a very high strung car. It's also the most expensive of what I'm considering, $30k. I'd also have to fly across the US to get it...

The US didn't get a 540D, that I know of. 528D and 525D.

I've used the rear seat uh... zero times since I got divorced. Ex's dog used the rear seat, but he's dead now anyway.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:12 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If you aren't going to use 4 doors (RIP, ex's dog), and based on the options you're considering, I'd put a low mileage E46 M3 at the top of the list of used BMWs. The combination of all-out performance, everyday driveability and refinement is really tough to beat at anywhere near that price. We just got back from a trip to the mountains with ours. It was brilliant as always on everything from the interstate to crazy twisty back roads in the mountains, and revving to an 8k redline never gets old. You can find them in the price range you're looking at (under $30k), and it may well be the last great BMW worth owning past 75k miles. They couldn't resist the temptation to start over-engineering things with the E90/E92 3-series cars, and it's gotten worse since then.

Stang Killa makes a good case for Subies (which I also love) and for giving it more time if you're all over the map. But if you get tired of whatever you buy after a few years, you can always trade it in for something else. After all, it's just a car.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I used to love the e46 m3, especially in the mustard colour with matching interior.
Love the sound of a worked and highly tuned n\a straight six giving it shit.

Thought about a pointic GTO? 06 model era?

Completely different setup and no where near as refined or nice as the beemer
but has an ls1, and with some suspension tweaking can make a descent
drivers car.

Throw a cam and a mafless tune at it and you'll have over 300 at the tires.
Be well under the cost of the bmw I would have thought and easier to get parts
for.

Lacks build quality in trim a bit but makes up for it with guts.

Just a thought.

Theres a few on the net for around 15k, looks like they all
have 6ltrs in them not the ls1.

Last edited by thecrusader; 08-21-2015 at 05:14 PM.
thecrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Miata: The Answer to Every Question

Quite possibly my favorite car I have ever owned, maybe second to my MR2.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

My clubsport is closely related to the gto.

I have about 300hp at the treads and it drives like stock. Cams hard at idle
and has a nice chop but drives great as a daily car. Comfortable and tough.
Beats new expensive cars all the time and doesn't have all the gizmo shit in it.

If I was there I would have a gto in a heartbeat. An ls2 with a cam would be around
350hp at least. Buy one for 15 grand,put a decent exhaust, over the radiator intake ,afless tune, underdrive
pulley kit and a cam.rebuilt auto and a small stall converter, boom.

Lower it with some descent shocks and you got a fun car right there.

If your smart and can spin spanners,and source parts you could do it for under 20 grand.

The mx5 is a great little car,so is the s2000.
thecrusader is offline   Reply With Quote