Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Cochlear implant.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Cochlear implant.........

Anyone here know someone with one? The reason I am asking is my youngest son has one, almost 2 years now, he was implanted when he turned 1. Here is the link to the inplant he has http://www.bionicear.com/products/90k_implant.asp. With the implant he has to go to a speach therapest every two weeks at Chirldrens Hospital in Seattle(untill he is 5+). He is now an Alaska Airlines MVP member and flyes first class Also I just wanted to see and talk with others that have one to see how they are doing.

Thank You
Steve

For those that dont know what it is, it is a very cool hearing aid:-P Sorta
Mechanicalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I work with a gentleman that has one. He is the neatest guy. He has one of those implants and has had one since he was a small child. I think it has made his quality of life better. He drives and functions like a normal person.

If you like I can send him your email and you could talk with him directly.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 AM   #3

My girlfriend is a Deaf Ed Teacher here in CO. She works with Kids grade K-8, and most of them have this implant. The kids are all great learners and post positive attitudes. The Cochlear makes life a little easier for the kids.

If you need any info like websites, booklets, etc... give a shout out...
M.O.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

My wife is a Dr. of Audiology at a children's hospital.She works with cochlear and hearing impaired kids on a daily basis.Let me know if you have any questions and I'll ask her.
72Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Adilynsdad too!

I hope all goes well
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

My mother went through cemo (sp?) around '81-'82. She had throat cancer. They gave her the highest dose of cemo that they could give at the time because really, they didn't know what else to do. in the years since, her ear bones basically disolved from the radiation treatments she had back then. 2 years ago, she was basically deaf, and her doctor suggested the implant. Though her hearing is not totally back to normal, she can hear pretty darn good. Honestly I think it is wonderful! I can now talk to my mom without hearing a high pitched squeal that the hearing aids gave off when she got too close to phones and such. Her greatest thrill was that she was able to keep her drivers licence. If she would have not had the implant, they would have taken them from her. She usually wears a hair wrap, so you can hardly tell she has one. It's great!
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

My uncle has had one for a little over a year. Before the implant he had 90% hearingloss, now he has less that 20%. It is the most amazing thing. He is still getting used to hearing sounds we hear every day, change in your pocket, water dripping, birds chirping. Pretty amazing stuff, plus the magnet that sticks to his head gives him a robot feel.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjman
plus the magnet that sticks to his head gives him a robot feel.
Sorry, but this just made me LOL.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I called him the bionic man for a while. He has a degenerative(sp?) condition where he will eventually be totally deaf, regardless of the implant. So, seeing as he is an easy going guy we give him crap while he can still hear us and talk crap back.

I'm really pro this thing, its absolutely the coolest thing I've ever seen. I couldn't believe how well it actually worked.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote