Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Kayaks ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Kayaks ?

My new lady friend is into Kayaking, so I tried out her 10' Pelican trailblazer 100. I know less than nothing about Kayaks, but actually enjoyed being out on the water for 20 minutes enough that I'm considering an entry level Kayak for myself. I'm interested in hearing about personal experiences with different brands. From the reading that I've done, it sounds like a 12' would be better for me. I'm 245/6'.

I don't want to spend a lot on it since it will be an entry level boat. While I had fun the first time, who knows if I'll enjoy it anymore after a 4 hr trip.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Kayaks ?

I go kayaking once in a while, only when I'm bored, and have no place else to go. I'll drive over to the dock, and rent the biggest one available, and spend an afternoon kayaking along the shore, there is a big island on the lake I live on, but my kayaking skills aren't where they should be to get there by myself, since I don't know the anything about them either, and I'm also a bigger guy 255/6.3'. I rent the bigger kayak cause has an open front, so when I tip it over I don't have to squirm out of an upside down kayak with a small wait size opening.

My cousin Jordan has an inflatable kayak he pick up in the mountains, actually the sides inflat, the bottom is hard plastic or fibreglass, not sure I didn't get to ask about it, it kinda just fell on me when I opened his basement door.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm not exactly an expert myself, but I do enjoy time on my kayak. I have a Perception Prodigy 10 ft and last year I bought my girl a Pelican 10 ft. I got the Prodigy from a local shop that seems to specialize in higher end kayaks ( I paid a little more than I probably should have.) The pelican came from Dicks Sporting and was reasonable priced ($200-$300) They both seem to be built well, but IMO my Perception has a bit sturdier hull. They each have similar convenience features to make your time on the water more organized and comfortable. Cup holders too

One thing I have noticed, is that beginner boats will have wider base for stability and tracking, but they require a little more input and work on your arms. We mostly stick to flat water lakes and ponds, so I guess this experience will change based on where you paddle. Good Luck
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have a Perception America. It's probably considered an antique now but I love it. About 12ft I believe, roomy, easy to get in and out of and stable. At my house we refer to it as the truck because you can load it with anything and be on you way. When my son was young I paddled down a stream with an 8 year old on the bow and another on the stern.
Bigfeet is offline   Reply With Quote

Kayaks ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1:1 kayaks... braceysdad Chit Chat 12 12-31-2014 10:46 AM
SCALE Kayaks DustyfX4 Scale Accessories 10 08-16-2011 04:31 PM
Scale quads & rafts and kayaks drumbeater Scale Accessories 29 03-04-2008 10:02 AM