Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: It's been a few months since I've posted because my world got dumped upside-down...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default It's been a few months since I've posted because my world got dumped upside-down...

On the morning of June 27, Stephanie, my wife of 15 years and mother of two, underwent a common heart valve replacement operation. Aside from the congenital defect of her aortic valve, she was completely healthy and doctors assured us the surgery risk was minimal. But by the end of the day she was on life support in extremely critical condition and remained that way for the next 23 days. The mechanical valve had been implanted such that it blocked one of her coronary arteries. The mistake was not corrected until more than 6 hours later, depriving her heart muscle of blood the entire time. We had her med-evaced from Honolulu to Stanford Medical Center on July 4 where she was placed at the top the heart transplant recipient list. Unfortunately she never regained the strength to undergo another heart surgery before her condition worsened even further. With every option exhausted, I had to make the agonizing decision to have her removed from life support. She passed away only a few minutes after the machines were stopped on Thursday, July 20. She was just 46 years old.

Since then, our boys and I have gotten back to a mostly normal routine of school and work. We've had tons of support from family, friends and countless people we'd never even met before. Now it's time to start getting back to the things that make us happy. For me that means wrenching and crawling, or at least thinking about it for now.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: It's been a few months since I've posted because my world got dumped upside-down.

My condolences. Very sorry to hear that sir!

I hope that RC can help you thru this time!

Last edited by calcagno45; 09-06-2017 at 09:06 PM.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: It's been a few months since I've posted because my world got dumped upside-down.

You and your family are in our prayers, so sorry for your loss Mike...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm sorry to hear abput your wife, we went though a similar decision when Mom's eldest Sister passed 19 years ago, she had an anyerism let go and was taken off life support the day after Christmas '98.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #5

I don't even know what to say. I'm very sorry to hear this! This is horrific!

That is an inexcusable mistake!

RC is good therapy. Building takes your mind off of things and getting out on the trail refreshes your mind.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Sorry to know that. Tough situation to be in.

Indeed inexcusable!
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:09 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't even know what to say. I'm very sorry to hear this! This is horrific!

That is an inexcusable mistake!

RC is good therapy. Building takes your mind off of things and getting out on the trail refreshes your mind.
That's mostly why I'm here. It'll be good for me to talk about this and I need some inspiration to get back to wrenching and driving. There's a RECON G6 coming up next month and I promised our local group I'd host another event before the end of the year.

(And yeah, I retained the best lawyer in the state even before we left for Stanford.)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I am sad to hear.

I wish the best for you and your boys.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Kids are amazingly resilient and these two have surprised the heck out of me. I'm grateful that we had a good relationship before and that their Mom instilled them with a wonderful spirit and values.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
That's mostly why I'm here. It'll be good for me to talk about this and I need some inspiration to get back to wrenching and driving. There's a RECON G6 coming up next month and I promised our local group I'd host another event before the end of the year.

(And yeah, I retained the best lawyer in the state even before we left for Stanford.)
Welcome back. Time to have some fun!

(As you should!!!)
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

My condolences, that is heartbreaking.
Keep up the good fight for you and your boys.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #12

My condolences to you and your family, you all will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joe762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:11 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Damn, Mike...

Crushing news. Wishing all the best for you and your little ones.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I will not bitch about my trivial pains. The Lord will bless you and yours.
You will be in my prayers

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

not a spiritual person, but am a father and husband. Can only imagine what you're going through. I'm sure a complete stranger across the country can't be of any help to you, but I wish I could be. thoughts are with you.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Holy hell, that's just brutal. I cannot imagine what you and your kids have been through. Here's hoping for good things coming your way.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #17
RCC Addict

That is a really tough deal man, so sorry to hear. What a heartbreaker.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #18
Yashua

I pray strength from our Lord for you and your boys.
I bet you both had many good times together, those are yours to keep.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

atta boy for getting back on that horse called life. im sure she is proud and smiling down on you and the kiddos. Like DukeMinnix said above, not sure what we can offer, but man if you need anything don't hesitate to ask.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers from you guys. Coping gets a little bit easier almost every day; the worst of it is behind us, fortunately.

When I started out in this hobby just a few years ago I never imagined how much it would affect my life. I've made more friends, gone more places and attended more gatherings than in the previous 10 or 15 years combined. Aside from my family, I can't recall anything in my life that has brought so much peace and enjoyment. And I know that even during this difficult time I will always be able to escape to the world of tiny toy trucks to find my solace.

It's been a few months since I've posted because my world got dumped upside-down... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Always Upside down Dbx Vaterra Twin Hammers 95 05-26-2017 05:47 PM
Help!!! Just dumped it into a pool! shelljeep Newbie General 15 01-22-2010 03:17 PM
He's Eight months old already !!!!!!! DRCMAN Chit Chat 16 08-19-2009 08:44 AM