Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Whats up with rc guys and truggys?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Whats up with rc guys and truggys?

I see people building what they call truggys, by attaching a tube frame to the rear half of a ladder frame.

Truggys are normally 100% tube framed with a truck body. Seems like the go fast crowd bastardized the term and it transferred to crawlers.

Any back story or history there?
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Whats up with rc guys and truggys?

It's only in the last 10 years or so that a full tube chassis rig with a cab was popular. They've always been a truck cab on a stock frame with a tube back half prior to that and still most commonly today.

Back halves are easy and it leaves most of the mounting points intact for a cleaner build.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

truggy is not a full tube chassis by definition. It's the front half of a truck and the back half of a buggy. Same with Juggy...jeep/buggy. A full tube chassis covered in a cab is just that, its a buggy with a cab.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
truggy is not a full tube chassis by definition. It's the front half of a truck and the back half of a buggy. Same with Juggy...jeep/buggy. A full tube chassis covered in a cab is just that, its a buggy with a cab.
See that isn't the history I remember, which is why I'm wondering.

Truggys where first simply trucks cabs placed on buggy bodies, however by that time the buggys in question were all 100% tube frame chassis.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You are correct as far as I remember - Truggys are full tube frame by official definition...

"....the term became the generic term from a specially built off-road vehicle that uses truck architecture (front engine, solid rear axle) but unlimited buggy style construction (tube chassis, no production parts retained). "

I think the term has morphed somewhat though, just like in the 1/10 world we all swim in scaler/crawler gets interchanged constantly (though I see them very differently.)
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post

Truggys where first simply trucks cabs placed on buggy bodies, however by that time the buggys in question were all 100% tube frame chassis.
The history you remember is wrong.

Back halfed trucks were the beginning of the whole thing in the early late 80's-early 90's. Those are by very definition truggies since they are trucks with buggy atributes like mainly linked rear suspension and usually leaf springs up front. As buggies became more popular in the early 2000's and parts prices dropped as knowledge expanded (thanks internet!) It was more common to see truggies linked front & rear. Today we can call a few comanies and they'll ship out full link suspensions made to order right to our door. It's a great time to be in the hobby.

Full tube buggies as we know them today were more widely seen in the late 99's and were mostly made to look like Jeeps since they have simple flat sheetmetal.

Shannon Campbell's pinky that he won ttc with in 1996 was one of the earlier true buggies since the whole frame & chassis was fabricated from scratch.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
You are correct as far as I remember - Truggys are full tube frame by official definition...

"....the term became the generic term from a specially built off-road vehicle that uses truck architecture (front engine, solid rear axle) but unlimited buggy style construction (tube chassis, no production parts retained). "

I think the term has morphed somewhat though, just like in the 1/10 world we all swim in scaler/crawler gets interchanged constantly (though I see them very differently.)
Wickepedia is not an official definition.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 12-20-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

A truggy was always a stock frame front, tube rear--never was known as a full tube chassis with a cab on it...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

This was my old K5 Blazer frame with a Pickup cab and A tube rear half, it was a truggy I suppose. People just called it the Trazer, truck blazer.

Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Wickepedia is not an official definition.
I think OP needs to ask the experts on Pirate.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
The history you remember is wrong.

Back halfed trucks were the beginning of the whole thing in the early late 80's-early 90's. Those are by very definition truggies since they are trucks with buggy atributes like mainly linked rear suspension and usually leaf springs up front. As buggies became more popular in the early 2000's and parts prices dropped as knowledge expanded (thanks internet!) It was more common to see truggies linked front & rear. Today we can call a few comanies and they'll ship out full link suspensions made to order right to our door. It's a great time to be in the hobby.

Full tube buggies as we know them today were more widely seen in the late 99's and were mostly made to look like Jeeps since they have simple flat sheetmetal.

Shannon Campbell's pinky that he won ttc with in 1996 was one of the earlier true buggies since the whole frame & chassis was fabricated from scratch.
My memory is fuzzy. However one thing that is clear to me is truggys started out as Baja vehicles. It is a portmanteau of truck and buggy. Buggy being the highly modified VW's. (maybe this is why I am having issues)

Solid rear, full tube rails, big front engine, which is what you are showing. So there is obviously cross over.

But that really fails to explain the half frame/half tube thing people are calling a truggy.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 12-20-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correll View Post
This was my old K5 Blazer frame with a Pickup cab and A tube rear half, it was a truggy I suppose. People just called it the Trazer, truck blazer.

They call it a trazer because its not a truggy. It's a short wheelbase pickup with a flat bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
I think OP needs to ask the experts on Pirate.
:raises hand: Here!

Quote:
My memory is fuzzy. However one thing that is clear to me is truggys started out as Baja vehicles. It is a portmanteau of truck and buggy. Buggy being the highly modified VW's. (maybe this is why I am having issues)

Solid rear, full tube rails, big front engine, which is what you are showing. So there is obviously cross over.

But that really fails to explain the half frame/half tube thing people are calling a truggy.

Different worlds completely. You're comparing 2 rigs that only have the similarity of being internal combustion. Are the 1:10 truggies you see modeled after baja rigs or rock crawlers? That right there is your issue. Comparing apples to scrambled eggs is a bad comparison.

Look at 1/8 scale "truggy" classes. All they are is an 1/8 scale buggy with wider track, bigger tires and a truckish body. They were born because the t maxx and savage were raced and they sucked at it. Someone did some fabrimuhkaytin and came up with todays truggy which rules over what was available back then. It was a natural combination of words "truck" and "buggy" to make the new type of rig.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
They call it a trazer because its not a truggy. It's a short wheelbase pickup with a flat bed.

Amazing.

I Fed all my sheep with all the HAY i hauled on my Flatbed....

It wasn't a Toyota tho, OR a truggy. I apologize for being so ignorant.

Last edited by Correll; 12-20-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Amazing.

I Fed all my sheep with all the HAY i hauled on my Flatbed....

It wasn't a Toyota tho, OR a truggy. I apologize for being so ignorant.
I didn't say a single bad thing about your rig so don't go getting butthurt. I simply described what you have. If the rear of the frame was chopped off and the tubing was the rear structure along with link suspension then yea, it'd be a truggy because it is half truck and half buggy.

And before you bring it up formula toyota is a cage slapped on a toyota frame. Its not a truck, or a buggy since they sit on convention 1/2 elliptical leaf springs, they are abortions.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I didn't say a single bad thing about your rig so don't go getting butthurt. I simply described what you have. If the rear of the frame was chopped off and the tubing was the rear structure along with link suspension then yea, it'd be a truggy because it is half truck and half buggy.

And before you bring it up formula toyota is a cage slapped on a toyota frame. Its not a truck, or a buggy since they sit on convention 1/2 elliptical leaf springs, they are abortions.
No butthurt here, pure facetiousness.

And I don't have anything against Pitbulls either. The dogs OR the tires....

I knew what I had, I just wanted to "ME TOO" this thread. I read all about Trazers on some other Forum before doing my work all those years ago....

Last edited by Correll; 12-20-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:

Different worlds completely. You're comparing 2 rigs that only have the similarity of being internal combustion. Are the 1:10 truggies you see modeled after baja rigs or rock crawlers? That right there is your issue. Comparing apples to scrambled eggs is a bad comparison.

Look at 1/8 scale "truggy" classes. All they are is an 1/8 scale buggy with wider track, bigger tires and a truckish body. They were born because the t maxx and savage were raced and they sucked at it. Someone did some fabrimuhkaytin and came up with todays truggy which rules over what was available back then. It was a natural combination of words "truck" and "buggy" to make the new type of rig.
Works for me Thanks
Old 12-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No butthurt here, pure facetiousness.

And I don't have anything against Pitbulls either. The dogs OR the tires....

I knew what I had, I just wanted to "ME TOO" this thread. I read all about Trazers on some other Forum before doing my work all those years ago....
Well your me too sucks.

Quote:
Works for me Thanks
I figured it was a translation type issue even in the same language. Desert stuff is much different and a lot of that started with the Herbst family building the first real truggy pre runner.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Well your me too sucks.

Reported and Triggered.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Reported and Triggered.
Oh gawd, first the majority of aussies I'm in contact with on bookface turn out to be incredibly thin skinned nancies and now a montana boy is too. Please tell me you're a california transplant or I'll lose my shit completely...
Old 12-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Oh gawd, first the majority of aussies I'm in contact with on bookface turn out to be incredibly thin skinned nancies and now a montana boy is too. Please tell me you're a california transplant or I'll lose my shit completely...
I thought you'd be catching my PBB vibes.

Whats up with rc guys and truggys? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
semo guys whats up???? idk Missouri 5 05-16-2013 06:54 PM
can you guys spot whats wrong with picture evan03 Chit Chat 26 01-30-2013 07:46 AM
guys whats your favorite rc under $150 Dubs Chops Chit Chat 25 12-14-2008 09:37 AM
Whats up guys The Dutchie Chit Chat 1 05-10-2005 08:38 PM