Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Huh...turns out...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Huh...turns out...

I'm a "fanboy" for buying a TRX. Who knew!?

Or so some YouTuber says...

You know...I think I'm finally figuring out a few things about myself. Even at age 50. I AM a FANBOY! Why is Traxxas so hated? The MST, Losi, HPI, Team Associated guys all said the same to me when I bought a Revo. I've watched countless hours of videos and listened to well over a hundred opinions...and I bought the TRX anyway. lol Thing is I'd like to have one of each of these rigs! I like them all!

I almost bought the Hobbywing 1080...I can tell Kincer knows what he's talking about and I was all set to buy it, but I saw a video of the Traxxas stuff installed and it was super clean. I know nothing about tuning ... and the 1080 interface looked like some learning curve for me, so I decided to go the clean, waterproof, ease of install route. I wanted to buy the 1080 and the Savox Black...just for the sheer eye candy! Man they look good! I decided the extra radio box, cleanliness of install, and waterproof power of the Traxxas servo was worth a shot. Truth be told...they are probably more advanced than my ability at this point since this is my first crawler!

Worst case scenario...this will be my sons rig and I'll use the Gen8 and hop it up totally different.

Or...buy another rig...boy that would suck huh?

Last edited by VaOldSchool; 11-28-2018 at 12:19 PM.
VaOldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Huh...turns out...

I don't get why Traxxas has that stigma to them, when they designed the Trx they nailed it! Best out of the box scaler I've ran!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I don't get why Traxxas has that stigma to them, when they designed the Trx they nailed it! Best out of the box scaler I've ran!

Because traxxas products are well built POS, and most people know it except for the fanboys that defend them at all costs.

But yeah they nailed the TRX4
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Because traxxas products are well built POS, and most people know it except for the fanboys that defend them at all costs.

But yeah they nailed the TRX4
Were you just on YouTube?

So I'm curious...how can you say "well built" and "POS" in the same sentence ... slight contradiction isn't it? What exactly makes them "POS"? Bad factory steering servos? See the HPI venture for the corner on that market. lol These things are all pretty basic plastic damn TOYS...not military drones.

So what makes them "POS" and what do you "drive"?
Old 11-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

TRX4 seems to be the exception to the rule, its pretty rock solid. But many dislike Traxxas due to their sue happy legal department and the fact that they really try to monopolize on their market share pushing out the small competitors (just a generalization).

I love my TRX4 but generally dislike the company.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I never ever thought I'd have a Traxxas scaler, but well here we are lol
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaOldSchool View Post
Were you just on YouTube?

So I'm curious...how can you say "well built" and "POS" in the same sentence ... slight contradiction isn't it? "?

Think apple products

Don't drive any, anymore because they all kept breaking.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
TRX4 seems to be the exception to the rule, its pretty rock solid. But many dislike Traxxas due to their sue happy legal department and the fact that they really try to monopolize on their market share pushing out the small competitors (just a generalization).

I love my TRX4 but generally dislike the company.
See now that I haven't heard about...where can I read up on their "tactics" and legal stuff?

I just see people hating for no real reason...it cracks me up when people say "you're just a Traxxas fanboy" and then follow it up with "RCFWD for life man" or "I'll take my Axial all day every day" stuff. Oh the irony. Then in other places I see those same people with all the aftermarket hop ups they've put on their rigs but yet call Traxxas POS because of ??? What...a semi-weak steering servo out of the box? Heck the video I just watched the HPI Venture tires wouldn't turn lock to lock on carpet! The guy put the left over Traxxas servo in as an upgrade! Then the Axial build kit vid I watched the guy didn't even put together the stock shocks because they were plastic and he had to put aftermarket on the frame right out of the box! THEN I watch a video of the Vaterra and how to stop the frame twist on a brand new rig...but Traxxas is the "POS"? It's almost comical. I have only seen a video of one kit that no one has said it needed an upgrade immediately...the Vanquish. Although it comes with no electronics or motor at $900. lmao

People just seem to lose their minds over Traxxas. It's wild. I guess these dozens of long time RC YouTubers raving about the TRX-4 are all just "sell outs".
Old 11-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Think apple products

Don't drive any, anymore because they all kept breaking.
Makes sense I guess...I do have an iPhone.

I guess I like shit that works. Owned ONE Samsung...NEVER again. lol Talk about a pretty POS! Great screen...beautiful images to look at when my camera froze mid picture

So if you hate Traxxas...why are you in the TRX portion of the forum?
Old 11-28-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I think I'll start all my build threads with...

"Welp...bought another part for my POS Traxxas today!"

Or...how about...

"Time to put some more lipstick on the pig"

lmao
Old 11-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The TRX4 is a nice truck. It had the benefit of coming into a maturing segment and watching what everyone else was doing.

Without being offensive... Maybe the fanboy comments had less to do with Traxxas itself, and more to do with your responses?

All manufacturers have their good and bad. Life goes on. (The lawsuits for waterproof receiver boxes and horizontal shocks do suck for the industry though. Even when there was prior art, but that's maybe the fault of the patent office.)
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
The TRX4 is a nice truck. It had the benefit of coming into a maturing segment and watching what everyone else was doing.

Without being offensive... Maybe the fanboy comments had less to do with Traxxas itself, and more to do with your responses?

All manufacturers have their good and bad. Life goes on. (The lawsuits for waterproof receiver boxes and horizontal shocks do suck for the industry though. Even when there was prior art, but that's maybe the fault of the patent office.)
What responses? On here? I was told I bought a "well built POS" before I responded with anything? If you're talking about on YouTube...those were general jabs at ALL Traxxas TRX-4 owners...by Axial and RC4WD owners...and not directed at me specifically. So yeah...I take offense in both instances because I wouldn't call someone a fanboy...period. It's childish...plain and simple. And I certainly wouldn't go into someone's thread and tell them that...or any thread truthfully. There's no place for that kind of treatment in my eyes.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What responses? On here? I was told I bought a "well built POS" before I responded with anything? If you're talking about on YouTube...those were general jabs at ALL Traxxas TRX-4 owners...by Axial and RC4WD owners...and not directed at me specifically. So yeah...I take offense in both instances because I wouldn't call someone a fanboy...period. It's childish...plain and simple. And I certainly wouldn't go into someone's thread and tell them that...or any thread truthfully. There's no place for that kind of treatment in my eyes.
Dude, you need to take a deep breath and calm down. I have no clue what you posted on YouTube, nor am I calling you a fanboy.

I'm just saying that the manner in what you're posting here on these forums might be taken as "fan-boyish" by some people.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
See now that I haven't heard about...where can I read up on their "tactics" and legal stuff?
I'm not sure I know of one comprehensive source with it all, Google it I suppose. It was kind of all over the place with editorials leading up to the final decision and lots of rambling BS.

I'll try to summarize the gist of it though. Traxxas sued Arrma for cantilever suspension design, the hard thing to swallow is the fact that this design was first stolen from 1:1 F1 cars, then years and years later patented by Traxxas and you can imagine the end result, Arrma lost. I believe this was only one of the most recent lawsuits though.
Theres also the fact that Traxxas will only allow its distributors to sell in their own country and will not allow exporting.
Dealers that are set up with Traxxas (I hear) are incentivised to not carry other RC brands, which is why many LHS's are solely focused on Traxxas.

Try putting up a video on youtube titled Mini X-Maxx and shortly after you will receive a cease and desist order from the Traxxas legal department. There actually a small rc that looks like a mini X-maxx so its a great description to call it a mini X-maxx. Its their right sure, but they're just kind of dicks about it which gains them no favor.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-28-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Dude, you need to take a deep breath and calm down. I have no clue what you posted on YouTube, nor am I calling you a fanboy.

I'm just saying that the manner in what you're posting here on these forums might be taken as "fan-boyish" by some people.
I was simply asking you to clarify...if you meant my response on here...or generalizing about my responses. Since I didn't see any of my responses on here being "fanboy-ish". I would think fanboy would be for when people say stuff about only running/liking a certain make...or a certain make is better than everyone else...things like that. Narrow minded/blinded to any other product.

So I guess I don't see it.

I just wondered what you read that you thought maybe approached that level warranting it.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I'm not sure I know of one comprehensive source with it all, Google it I suppose. It was kind of all over the place with editorials leading up to the final decision and lots of rambling BS.

I'll try to summarize the gist of it though. Traxxas sued Arrma for cantilever suspension design, the hard thing to swallow is the fact that this design was first stolen from 1:1 F1 cars, then years and years later patented by Traxxas and you can imagine the end result, Arrma lost. I believe this was only one of the most recent lawsuits though.
Theres also the fact that Traxxas will only allow its distributors to sell in their own country and will not allow exporting.
Dealers that are set up with Traxxas (I hear) are incentivised to not carry other RC brands, which is why many LHS's are solely focused on Traxxas.

Try putting up a video on youtube titled Mini X-Maxx and shortly after you will receive a cease and desist order from the Traxxas legal department. There actually a small rc that looks like a mini X-maxx so its a great description to call it a mini X-maxx. Its their right sure, but they're just kind of dicks about it which gains them no favor.
Ah...gotcha. I'll do some reading/listening on the web about it. Sounds like the are pretty shrewd business people. Outside looking in...in an economy that is pretty much owned by China...I would be willing to bet they go to these lengths to protect themselves. However I can see how it would be better for smaller companies if they weren't so protective.

I don't have a local hobby store sadly...closest is an hour and a half away.

Who is Arrma? I'll have to do some reading I guess.

You seem pretty informed...did/do you work in this buisness?
Old 11-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

You seem pretty informed...did/do you work in this buisness?
No, just a RC addict!
Old 11-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=VaOldSchool;5887756] I have only seen a video of one kit that no one has said it needed an upgrade immediately...the Vanquish. Although it comes with no electronics or motor at $900. lmao

Actually from doing some reading you will that the Vanquish kits had bent frame rails in the box that needed replaced before you could start building the $900 kit.

There's no one kit that is going to please everyone. I have 3 different brands of crawlers at the moment. You could say that I have had 4 but different story since it is now with Animal I also have 2 race vehicles that are modified for stock racing at the local indoor carpet track. I have seen people on both sides nit pick about brands over and over. Before I got into crawling I would never touch a Traxxas brand vehicle. Reason being that people would buy them just because the box says "fastest name in RC". Said people show up to the track and wonder why their vehicle was not as "fast" as the next person. There are exceptions to this but it's another whole story.
Jumping back to TRX4. I did purchase one only after the kit came out. At the time I had 2 Axials SCX10's. Comparing the 2 brands was night and day. Traxxas definitely had better quality parts out the box but the electronics are horrible.
Recently received a SCX10.2 as gift and again big differences. Axial plastic quality is horrible they are like wet noddles. Now the electronics servo and ESC no issues at all. Again Animal has a Axial servo in his Dingo and works perfectly.
It all comes down to what you like but don't fall for the hype that comes with some brands. Yes there is better out than the stock items that are cheaper. In the end it's your decision and yours only
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=carpetfuzz17;5887832]
Quote:
I have only seen a video of one kit that no one has said it needed an upgrade immediately...the Vanquish. Although it comes with no electronics or motor at $900. lmao

Actually from doing some reading you will that the Vanquish kits had bent frame rails in the box that needed replaced before you could start building the $900 kit.

There's no one kit that is going to please everyone. I have 3 different brands of crawlers at the moment. You could say that I have had 4 but different story since it is now with Animal I also have 2 race vehicles that are modified for stock racing at the local indoor carpet track. I have seen people on both sides nit pick about brands over and over. Before I got into crawling I would never touch a Traxxas brand vehicle. Reason being that people would buy them just because the box says "fastest name in RC". Said people show up to the track and wonder why their vehicle was not as "fast" as the next person. There are exceptions to this but it's another whole story.
Jumping back to TRX4. I did purchase one only after the kit came out. At the time I had 2 Axials SCX10's. Comparing the 2 brands was night and day. Traxxas definitely had better quality parts out the box but the electronics are horrible.
Recently received a SCX10.2 as gift and again big differences. Axial plastic quality is horrible they are like wet noddles. Now the electronics servo and ESC no issues at all. Again Animal has a Axial servo in his Dingo and works perfectly.
It all comes down to what you like but don't fall for the hype that comes with some brands. Yes there is better out than the stock items that are cheaper. In the end it's your decision and yours only

Thanks for the insight! First i'd heard about the Vanquish issues. For that much money...to have that issue...little surprising. It is still a gorgeous rig.

Nice to hear an experienced crawler who's willing to share that about Axial...they seem to have quite a loyal following. They were the one name I knew of/had heard about when I first looked into this side of the hobby...then spotted Traxxas which I knew of course...but hadn't heard of most of the rest. I initially thought Axial would be what I was looking for...but after a lot of research they soon dropped out of the running. I knew I wanted a second rig...and wanted a builders kit, but just didn't see the savings with how little you get and the amount of money still needed to complete the rigs offered as builders kids. Decided I was going to get a Vaterra, but then new broke of the Gen8. It looks like a direct competitor for the TRX-4...but a lot less money...doesn't hurt that I love Scouts! IH was awesome back in the day! So I pre-ordered a Gen8. Felt like it would be a great platform to try stuff out with and wrench on. I will probably get a Vaterra and/or RC4WD before all's said and done...and maybe a Sawback...lol. I like the old Willys Jeeps as well. OH...also like the Traction Cragsman 1/8th for a bit of a basher/crawler...elooks pretty interesting.

Next thing I need to learn about though is wiring and programming...setting up these rigs. Secretly that was also a factor for me buying the Traxxas BEC and Servo. Ease/compatibility of install and neatness of the fitment. That extra BEC case looks slick...and it's currently the only way to get it.

Anyway ... I rambled, but thanks for the input/insight. Genuinely excited about crawling, and can't wait for my rigs to arrive. I'll post shots once they're here! It's a good thing I don't have a local hobby store or I'd bought something to tide me over already.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Makes sense I guess...I do have an iPhone.

I guess I like shit that works. Owned ONE Samsung...NEVER again. lol Talk about a pretty POS! Great screen...beautiful images to look at when my camera froze mid picture

So if you hate Traxxas...why are you in the TRX portion of the forum?
Own lots of samsung products and they work great for me and the wife and I've had several iphones and galaxy's and they are all just phones to me and never really had problems with any of them. Samsung tvs, and blu ray players that are great too. Pick what you like for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Huh...turns out... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi night crawler turns left when control turns rt Jophuss36 Electronics 3 07-09-2011 11:29 PM
Huh? ColquittCustom405 Chit Chat 7 04-10-2008 07:30 AM