Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Keep this in mind

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2018, 09:46 PM   #1

Default Keep this in mind

Ok so I don’t mean to and I don’t want to bash on anybody in the rc community this is a community not a war zone but just to anybody new to the hobby or even old everybody can make common mistakes if you don’t do your research... so I’ve been lied to many times by my local hobby store owners one was about how all savox servos are 24t.... and another because I was in dire need of a servo horn for my crawler so I went and the guy said that 24t horns would fit on 25t servos as long as there clamp style which I believed for some odd reason in my case this wasn’t true. Not gonna say this couldn’t work but for me it didn’t and just many other simple things like that so again no bashing on anyone needed but just to inform people that make sure you do your research before buying something and make sure 100% that you know what you’re talking about and don’t go making things up along the way.... hope that might’ve helped someone

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trex4Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Keep this in mind

Oh yes, "homework" is key. Just did that not long ago with a set of tires. Now I have a set of short 1.9's that look goofy on any truck I have. Should have read a little more, and drooled a little less.
Lesson learned, but at least I learned something about tire sizes, wasn't a cheap lesson either...
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy1 View Post
Oh yes, "homework" is key. Just did that not long ago with a set of tires. Now I have a set of short 1.9's that look goofy on any truck I have. Should have read a little more, and drooled a little less.

Lesson learned, but at least I learned something about tire sizes, wasn't a cheap lesson either...

Darn yes that really sucks mine wasn’t as expansive but I’ve had a lot worse accidents like reversing one of my receiver wires and thinkin my esc was dead and buying a new one

Old 01-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

This is great advice!
Let's see... First time I had a"preventable goof" like this was when I bought my first lipo charger. I was told that it could charge "any lipo up to 8s"

Well, I bought it because I had a little $100 3d helicopter that used 1 cell batteries.

Well, it couldn't charge 1c batteries, and I lost interest in the helicopter. Good thing though because that's how I got into crawling haha
excabswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:54 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The problem is that far too many people are simply too lazy to spend the necessary time to do basic research. Most would rather come on a place like RCC, or a LHS and ask others to spoon feed them information they could easily look up for themselves. Your servo situation above is a perfect example of just doing your own research and you would have avoided a problem. I seriously doubt you were deliberately lied to by your LHS. A more likely scenario is the clerk simply did not know but rather than do his research he just provided erroneous information. Bottom line, you have to take some responsibility and make informed decisions.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
The problem is that far too many people are simply too lazy to spend the necessary time to do basic research. Most would rather come on a place like RCC, or a LHS and ask others to spoon feed them information they could easily look up for themselves. Your servo situation above is a perfect example of just doing your own research and you would have avoided a problem. I seriously doubt you were deliberately lied to by your LHS. A more likely scenario is the clerk simply did not know but rather than do his research he just provided erroneous information. Bottom line, you have to take some responsibility and make informed decisions.

Yes yes exactly the point I’m tryna get across is that please do you research now a few times I’ve asked about things but that simply because there is no info on that but no I don’t think he intentionally lied to me about it I just think I just spit out a answer attempting to know even though he didn’t but yea love the point you made

Old 02-01-2018, 01:07 AM   #7

Thanks a lot for shaing this. We just lazy to learn more things.
betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:45 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Hobby shop people remind me of gun store people. Asshats that just want to sound cool and make a sale. Calling them out is always fun to do. A few hours reading up on milsurps is the easiest to start with at ththe LGS. Servo variations is a good one for the LHS. If they don’t know and let you know they don’t know then I grant a free pass. When they spout misinformation I let them have the truth. LOL. My LHS was pushing some Horizon junk they had bought into and it looked familiar. I nodded and smiled while he spoke and then I said it looked familiar. He argued with me briefly and I said I’d look into them.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/categor...ion/revolution

A quick check on Banggood showed me what they really were and that they were marked up considerably. I went back armed with just a few links on my phone and the clerk said that Horizon must’ve been copied.

BGood has had these for a year or more.

Research is imperative and nowadays it’s easier and free. Beats looking through stacks of microfiche.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

When I got my Savox servo and Vanquish horn, I think I went back and forth on the specs of each about a half dozen times to make sure I had the right combo.

The thing to remember about any retailer: no matter how friendly they are, they are always going to push what they get the best margin on, not necessarily what is best for your needs.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:48 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I fully support my LHS, but you have to go in there with a healthy dose of education. But, there are times when you pop in to buy something, and for what ever reason you just don't have the time, so you take that leap of faith and go off of the hobby shop guy's advise, sometimes it turns out ok, other times it bites you in the butt. The trick is knowing who to talk to in the shop, and who to avoid.

Here is a conversion I had recently at my LHS:

Me: Hey, you know that part you sold me the other day?

Hobby-shop guy: Yeah, how did that work for you?

Me: Well, it didn't work well at all, but it was really my fault...

Hobby-shop guy: Oh? What happened?

Me: I listened to you...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #11

Sometimes it's laziness and sometimes it's Salesman brain, but often I also think it's just a case of people not knowing how to find the answer, or being too busy to do it.

It boggles my mind how so many people are just unable to effectively use Google. At work I became the go-to guy for how to do things in some of the development software that we use. I even ended up being a project manager for the database that we use to develop our requirements in. It's not because I'm a genius, it's because when I need to figure out how to do something, I google it. So many people don't know how, or don't realize that it's an option.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Sometimes it's laziness and sometimes it's Salesman brain, but often I also think it's just a case of people not knowing how to find the answer, or being too busy to do it.

It boggles my mind how so many people are just unable to effectively use Google. At work I became the go-to guy for how to do things in some of the development software that we use. I even ended up being a project manager for the database that we use to develop our requirements in. It's not because I'm a genius, it's because when I need to figure out how to do something, I google it. So many people don't know how, or don't realize that it's an option.
I know that feeling...
I became the Excel expert at work. I had bought a couple of books, and use Google to find working examples when I need them. I'm not really any smarter than these people around me. It's just when I needed to do something, I didn't have anyone around I could ask!
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Interesting post! Now days most everything is a few clicks away and that's an important reason that some business die... I live in Greece so rc shops are a handful and strangling to make a living. The ones that have reasonable prices & know their stuff will keep on, the other's I highly doubt will..
Vagos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:24 PM   #14
Try to Bend it

Should have just asked on one of the millions of facebook groups. You always get the right answer there

JK
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:14 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

As I learned in the "Paint & Body" thread, sometimes it is good to go right to the source. I came in here looking for a quick answer on how to remove stubborn mask. I got a few good answers. Then the "light bulb" came on... I emailed Bob Divley's and got an answer in about 45 min. The rep also gave a phone number and said to call if I had any more issues or questions.

Sometimes we overlook the obvious...
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I know when I first got into this hobby I didn't know anything and the first lhs I've came across is where I got into getting my boy at his first truck. After purchasing his truck and having the desire to get my own is when I first really started to learn how to do research and reviews and start checking out forums before I started buying anything else. This first shop I came into they had burned me on an item and I wasn't real happy about and started finding other shops to start looking for and eventually stumbled across was now my favorite local hobby shop. Always try to learn research read reviews and also ask questions along the fourms that's what's helped me out a lot still learning as I go though.

I think there is a lot of lhs that are full of lots of good information and employees. But there is also the ones out there that don't know anything or or mislead you to sell something which is very frustrating and all directions. But if you can always find that one good shop to go into is the best thing ever. I know I've ask questions to the employees at the shop and when I do ask one of them up and take you there question and they don't know they're always turn to one of their colleagues to see if they know anything about what I have to ask always walked out with my questions asked.

I do believe the best thing to ever do is to fill yourself full of all the information you can before buying anything or asking
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Yup...

I REALLY try to support my LHS, but there times when it is sooooo much easier to just order on line. I have had the Proline '46 Dodge body on order for weeks. I checked on it last Sunday and the owner said that it would be in Thursday's shipment, guaranteed. Well, he was right, it was in yesterday's shipment, and he personally put my name on it. I stopped by this evening to pick it up and one of his employees had sold it to someone else this morning.

Last edited by Greatscott; 02-02-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

^^ asshole, that guy. Amazon Prime it and it’ll be here Monday morning.

The two guys at my LHS host Magic meetings after hours and such. Not my thing so I won’t knock it. I just find it...weird. But I do try to buy from there as often as possible but it costs me more in the end. They always charge MSRP and then I have 7% sales tax tacked on, too. When I bought my Honcho years ago it was nearly $30 in sales tax whereas I could’ve gotten it online at a cheaper initial price and without sales tax.

Sadly, the flat brimmers with their Traxxas bashers are what keeps the lights on there. The big push before Christmas then the follow up spares for the 1st quarter before the parents say F it and stop fixing them.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I have been chatting with the guy who bought the body, seems like it was their newest hire that was responsible for the screw up. That is the part that I am REALLY trying not to get pissed about and what I find 100% unacceptable. If they want people to shop locally, they cannot make those kinds of mistakes, doubly so when the customer has been waiting weeks and is coming in every couple of days asking about it.

Plus, its not like they don't know me, and I am not one of those customers that comes in, asks questions, and doesn't buy anything. I spend a healthy amount of my OT there, I am fairly certain I have spent enough there to put at least one of owner's kids through college.

I think the guy who bought the body is 100% correct about the new guy not checking the special order list, but I do not accept the "new guy" excuse. The other employees there should have made sure he knew what he was doing, that is their failure. At my job, if the new guy screws up a project, my bosses and customers do not care that it was the new guy that screwed it up. Of course there is a BIG difference between a multi-million dollar Navy R&D project and a $50 plastic body for a RC toy, but the sentiment is the same.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I have been chatting with the guy who bought the body, seems like it was their newest hire that was responsible for the screw up. That is the part that I am REALLY trying not to get pissed about and what I find 100% unacceptable. If they want people to shop locally, they cannot make those kinds of mistakes, doubly so when the customer has been waiting weeks and is coming in every couple of days asking about it.

Plus, its not like they don't know me, and I am not one of those customers that comes in, asks questions, and doesn't buy anything. I spend a healthy amount of my OT there, I am fairly certain I have spent enough there to put at least one of owner's kids through college.

I think the guy who bought the body is 100% correct about the new guy not checking the special order list, but I do not accept the "new guy" excuse. The other employees there should have made sure he knew what he was doing, that is their failure. At my job, if the new guy screws up a project, my bosses and customers do not care that it was the new guy that screwed it up. Of course there is a BIG difference between a multi-million dollar Navy R&D project and a $50 plastic body for a RC toy, but the sentiment is the same.

Man that really sucks thst is honestly would annoy me so much like honestly if your gonna hire someone MAKE SURE THERE A GOOD FIT AND KNOW WHAT THEYRE DOING like at kinda local hobby shop the owner is always angry and not helpful but one of the employee’s is always talking about his truck and super helpful I personally think he should be the owner

Keep this in mind - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making up my mind T/C Hunter Newbie General 3 12-12-2010 11:50 AM
Out of his mind RebelRacer Chit Chat 25 05-18-2010 08:56 AM
FJ I wouldn't mind having JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 15 03-27-2007 12:36 PM