Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: FaceBook Aint Got Nuthin On This Website :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default FaceBook Aint Got Nuthin On This Website :)

It's just an opinion

Sure, social media has some perks but I just caint see how great websites like this one will ever go out of style - this place has so much to offer - I enjoy it a lot and most people who post here actually know what they are doing (ha)

Just wanted to toss that out there - for what it's worth

Crawl often my friends

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #2

Default Re: FaceBook Aint Got Nuthin On This Website :)

I agree, but Facebook is killing forums. Most of us that use forums are dinosaurs. Facebook groups are way more active, and every single forum that I'm on is a shell of what it once was. :(
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Still never joined FB...

But there's an ancient MySpace account that hasn't been logged on in years out there!

Only to share pics of my old motorcycles...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Haven't been here long but it at least appears that RCC is doing better than a lot of other forums out there. I moderate a Jeep JK forum that used to be very active before the farce-book pilgrimage and I'm on a guitar forum that at one time was fairly lively. Both of those forums have gone from multiple pages per day to maybe less than one page on average. There are certainly other contributing factors to the slow demise of some forums but I digress.

What I dig here is the hospitality, the sound advice, and the always interesting builds. I'm blown away by the level of craftsmanship and ingenuity that you guys possess and I have to say that I don't think there's a single person on here that I wouldn't enthusiastically invite into my home. Well... maybe not durok or m2tech as they seem like loose cannons... durok with his fetishes and m2tech with his vibration fixation. But other than that... This is one really cool group of guys that I feel humbly privileged to associate with. FB be damned. There's no substitute for substance.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Hey! At least I don't have a vibration fetish lol.

I agree with you. Couldn't care less about fawking FB but I've gotten all my knowledge and inspiration from here and there are some good people on here.

I see your point about durok though...just something about guys from Austin. Oh, wait...;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Haven't been here long but it at least appears that RCC is doing better than a lot of other forums out there. I moderate a Jeep JK forum that used to be very active before the farce-book pilgrimage and I'm on a guitar forum that at one time was fairly lively. Both of those forums have gone from multiple pages per day to maybe less than one page on average. There are certainly other contributing factors to the slow demise of some forums but I digress.

What I dig here is the hospitality, the sound advice, and the always interesting builds. I'm blown away by the level of craftsmanship and ingenuity that you guys possess and I have to say that I don't think there's a single person on here that I wouldn't enthusiastically invite into my home. Well... maybe not durok or m2tech as they seem like loose cannons... durok with his fetishes and m2tech with his vibration fixation. But other than that... This is one really cool group of guys that I feel humbly privileged to associate with. FB be damned. There's no substitute for substance.
Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:17 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Plus, there’s nobody here constantly updating everyone with what they had for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And no selfies.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:19 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

AND there's WAY less political tension.
skybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I wouldn't know i have never been to that face book site, i will leave that to the sick people of the world enabling each other in their madness and the parasites behind the site.

I only deal with healthy nice people.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
RCC Addict

This forum has a different atmosphere than the FB community's. To many assholes(my opinion) in the community's that think otherwise, don't get me wrong ,there is some helpful guys out there. Maybe its just the age difference in social media(FB) from the forums . This forum helps out a whole lot, most of the guys(the ones ive dealt with) on here are helpful as a MF ! Its welcoming here. I hope this forum lasts longer than URC( thats a whole different story,LOL)
Thanks guys for all the help !
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
This forum has a different atmosphere than the FB community's. To many assholes(my opinion) in the community's that think otherwise, don't get me wrong ,there is some helpful guys out there. Maybe its just the age difference in social media(FB) from the forums . This forum helps out a whole lot, most of the guys(the ones ive dealt with) on here are helpful as a MF ! Its welcoming here. I hope this forum lasts longer than URC( thats a whole different story,LOL)
Thanks guys for all the help !
Man, I can't believe I didn't think to add, "and we have Frank211 for all of our new product feeding"!

Just how helpful is a MF?
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

FB, just like here, has it's place and it's usefulness.

This forum has calmed down a lot, back when I joined you had to be very careful what you posted and how. God forbid if you did not do an exhaustive search for the topic/question you were about to post, doing so would result in a collective punch in the mouth. But, FB just does not support build threads the way RCC and other forums do, and forget about trying to go back and search for something. On the flip side, RCC and other forums have been lack-luster at best for organizing local events and such. This is where FB shines, organizing local events is pretty easy.

One of people's biggest bitches about FB is all of the drama, from my experience, the people who complain most about drama on FB are the ones that cause it.

When it comes down to it, it is about using the right tool for the job, and that really is what RCC and FB are.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
FB, just like here, has it's place and it's usefulness.

This forum has calmed down a lot, back when I joined you had to be very careful what you posted and how. God forbid if you did not do an exhaustive search for the topic/question you were about to post, doing so would result in a collective punch in the mouth. But, FB just does not support build threads the way RCC and other forums do, and forget about trying to go back and search for something. On the flip side, RCC and other forums have been lack-luster at best for organizing local events and such. This is where FB shines, organizing local events is pretty easy.

One of people's biggest bitches about FB is all of the drama, from my experience, the people who complain most about drama on FB are the ones that cause it.

When it comes down to it, it is about using the right tool for the job, and that really is what RCC and FB are.
This right here. Forums are like a great encyclopedia for me for whatever particular topic. Fakebook is a lot of fire and forget. There's just no repository of data to reference back on.

I love seeing what everybody here does to their trucks, and I love being able to look back and search through the content for interesting things that might help me in my builds.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Sucker Berg might have all the fools on that site, but hes got no control of his own creation

Its nothing new really and will be replaced with a similar idea very soon most likely.
sawback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:19 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

We have been having this same conversation on RCShortcourse for a couple of years now. It seems that FB has a lot of influence over new hobbyists (who simply don't know any better) and when misinformation is spread there it doesn't get corrected, it just keeps going. Look at all the threads for how great Integy parts are, or Flex Friday, just to name a few. FB is convenient, there's no denying that, but at what cost? Quick, bad information is still BAD information. Forums are a treasure trove of information and it is easily accessible, but unfortunately they are not the "flavor of the week".

Here's a link to our thread discussing the same topic, if you are interested:
what happened? - RCShortCourse
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

im a facebook go-er. but I only follow certain accounts (crawler related)

and the fact that you cant go through here to buy their products or search for their products through here, you have to through their fb page. good stuff too. paying 100/year so you can sell your stuff on here is a bit ridiculous. especially if you only sell special purpose items. you almost have to have every rig covered or a lot of universal stuff to make some extra on top of what you have to make to cover your rear here. and on top of that.. the forum is falling apart. ask Eeepee.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

The forums i frequent that are the most active/successful allow full access without a pay subscription (picture hosting....). They have sponsors that pay and the can run group buys and other deals to draw visitors that are on the forum to the retailers website. RCC still has the 2017 axialfest on the front page. THAT IS PATHETIC
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

At RCS our home page is about to turn 4. I've been begging to help out for years now, to move threads where they need to go, to keep the home page up to date, to clean things up, etc, but can't get the proper leople's attention to give me the access to do so.

Another big advantage of niche forums like these is when asking specific questions. If I need an answer about an SCX10ii I'll ask it here knowing that the information I get is from people who have experience with the truck and not "IntegyFanBoy6969" who is most likely a 5 year old kid who is using his mom's iPhone in the grocery store line. Also you can't post or follow build threads on FB, which for us forum regulars is a big benefit.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
AND there's WAY less political tension.
You just arent in the right threads lol. There is some for sure.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:43 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
You just arent in the right threads lol. There is some for sure.
Good point, Ive done well to avoid them so far!
skybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:28 AM   #20
Yashua

All other forums could take a few pointers from RCC .
This place sucks and rocks all at the same time.
Sucks cause all the,awesome stuff we see and we can't afford them all and rocks because " everything about our hobby IS right here".

Last edited by CREEPERBOB; 08-07-2018 at 05:30 AM.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote