Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Amazon firestick with kodi..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Amazon firestick with kodi..?

I'm looking for real info on jailbreaking a firestick.. is it worth the hassle? What are the drawbacks? Is it illegal? I ask here because the general level of info here is usually pretty spot on and when it isn't it's called as bullshit pretty quick. I just got a firestick today and am very interested in more content but I don't want any sort of agency knocking on my door...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Amazon firestick with kodi..?

If it's too good to be true it usually is...any device you can stream movies that are currently in the box office or stream $$$ PPV's...probally breaking some copyright laws...that being said...all my friends have it and love it..I don't however have one. I guess I feel it's morally wrong. Who knows..i might eventually break down and get one...worst that's gonna happen is that they figure a way to block the kodi.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
kingofparad1se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
I'm looking for real info on jailbreaking a firestick.. is it worth the hassle? What are the drawbacks? Is it illegal? I ask here because the general level of info here is usually pretty spot on and when it isn't it's called as bullshit pretty quick. I just got a firestick today and am very interested in more content but I don't want any sort of agency knocking on my door...

Its worth the hassle if you can assume the risk, or take steps to protect yourself. Personally, its not worth the hassle for me. Plus, my wife and I don't like "stealing" media. I know, streaming is technically legal for now, but as was stated above, its a matter of time before they block Kodi plugins.

Here are some drawbacks:

You void the warranty on your Firestick. Matters to some others don't really care.

Jailbreaking it can be a little tedious, but its all good as long as you follow a guide. If you mess up during the process though, you could risk bricking the Firestick. Maybe thats changed now, but when I went to jailbreak an android tablet a few years ago, I had to stick to the steps. Not sure on your tech level, but the process wasn't too hard for me, but I work in IT.

You could get "cease and desist" letters from your ISP if they watch your traffic. This can be somewhat resolved by using a VPN on your internet connection (either from the computer, or on the router level but you need a specific one to accomplish that). The VPN encrypts your connection and basically hides all your traffic.

If you do use a VPN keep in mind that apps like Netflix may not work unless the VPN is off. They do that because they think people are trying to bypass the regional restrictions. Gotta love it..

I would go into the whole possible piracy speech but I'll save that BS lol.. you're and adult, make your own decision.. and I can't say I'm not guilty of the same thing every now and then. But yeah there's that.. and for now, streaming is technically legal.

Some apps on a jailbroken Firestick might not work either as they check to make sure they're on something "genuine".

Well, thats all I can really think of. I plan on getting one of those new Fire TV's with 4k support. But I'm going to keep it vanilla. I have an HDMI cable running to one of my PC's and use that for Kodi if I need to.

Hope this helps you in your decision! And if you need anymore info, just shoot me a PM.
ren.dnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:33 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info.. it seems kinda sketchy, but if it's legal I'm going to give it a try

Old 10-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Save the hassle of jail breaking the fire stick, pick up a raspberry Pi3. The set it up with kodi.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

That is way beyond my scope.. I want cheap-plug and play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
TWS

I run Kodi on my laptop, it has HDMI so I can either send it to my big screen or just watch it off the laptop. Have a box as well, but it is slow to navigate menus and does not stream as well.

As far as Firestick vs Android box (there are thousands to choose from) I might try a Firestick next time.

Legal? Not really, and some people get their bandwidth throttled or worse lose their account.
TWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Dont fool yourself into believing streaming illegal movies is somehow legal.

That said I have done 20+ and IMO they are not worth the trouble. learn to use bit torrent or pay for sling tv or netflix.

The best builds are still clunky, and you might try 10x to get one stream.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'm not looking for movies, just to ditch cable.. I honestly have no idea what I will get if I jailbreak it. The name sounds sketchy enough, my real intent is to just get broadcast tv without having do too much work. I have a huge antenna and it's not able to pull more than 4 channels where I live

Old 10-09-2017, 06:39 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That is way beyond my scope.. I want cheap-plug and play

If you have the ability to jailbreak a Firestick you can setup a Pi3. All it is flashing a MicroSD card with a Kodi image, put it in the Pi, hook it up to a TV with wireless keyboard/mouse and off you go.

see here

Quote:
I'm not looking for movies, just to ditch cable.. I honestly have no idea what I will get if I jailbreak it. The name sounds sketchy enough, my real intent is to just get broadcast tv without having do too much work. I have a huge antenna and it's not able to pull more than 4 channels where I live
Even with Kodi, the live TV streaming is hit or miss, and chances of getting your local TV is slim.

Last edited by BUBBA069; 10-09-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:48 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Default Amazon firestick with kodi..?

I'm finding kodi is more trouble than I'm willing to deal with.. the only channel I'm missing with sling is cbs, I'll live without it..
I'm not interested in breaking any laws for tv, or buying all types of gadgets and needing to spend the time teaching my mother in law how to use it when she babysits.

Thanks for the opinions, it helped solidify this decision

Old 10-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm finding kodi is more trouble than I'm willing to deal with.. the only channel I'm missing with sling is cbs, I'll live without it..
I'm not interested in breaking any laws for tv, or buying all types of gadgets and needing to spend the time teaching my mother in law how to use it when she babysits.

Thanks for the opinions, it helped solidify this decision

Its because CBS has their own streaming service, CBS all access, and its $10 a month.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Sling TV is fantastic, I get pretty much anything I'd ever have wanted from satellite, for 1/3 of the price.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:47 PM   #14

Good choice! I'm getting the new Fire TV box when it comes out and going with PS Vue. Can't wait to cut the cable. Kodi is more trouble than its worth, and I just don't like streaming stuff thats illegal. All my co-workers justify their streaming and then turn around and complain about people that break the law lol. There's plenty of stuff out there now you don't need to use sketchy stuff like Kodi.
ren.dnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

You don't really jailbreak a FireTV. Its simple side-loading Android APK's that aren't available on the Amazon store. Kodi itself is perfectly legal for those with TV and movie collections. The streaming plug-in's that people install are not legal and give Kodi a bad reputation.
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

i know "somebody" *cough* who has a streamsmart pro. it was a gift, so... whynot. i don't condone piracy and i will ALWAYS go see a movie in theaters to support it. but its super convenient with Netflix not having that great of a selection, or if i forget to DVR a show. i still have cable but when i move i will get the minimum package.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:27 AM   #17

I am a loyal Firestick user. Using it, I can add different resources like movie streaming channels, live TV channels, live radio channels, screensavers, and much more to increase Kodi’s functionality. For example, if I want to watch the best movies via Kodi then I just add the Venom Kodi addon (https://www.firesticktricks.com/venom-kodi-addon.html) and enjoy the best movies on my Kodi device. I'm currently researching for other effective Kodi addons that are regularly updating.

Last edited by Aleksks; 07-28-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Aleksks is offline   Reply With Quote

Amazon firestick with kodi..? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
amazon ? hotrodsonoma Chit Chat 11 01-13-2014 08:12 AM
DIY Scale "FireStick" Style CB Antenna BodiBuilt Scale Accessories 24 05-16-2013 10:33 PM
Made a Firestick Statik Scale Accessories 6 03-29-2013 11:53 PM
Amazon.com used items Tortuga275 Chit Chat 3 08-12-2010 02:20 PM