Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: A question for you gun guys?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default A question for you gun guys?

I want to start a gun collection. I have found a local place that has about 15 M1 Garands to choose from starting at $850. What should I look for when I go check them out?

I have tried searching the net but my internet access is at work which is also a school so it blocks all gun sites. I teach history so you would think they would let me research a historical gun but I guess not. The people on this forum know a little about everything so I thought I would ask you guys.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

try to find one that all the numbers match up and its up to you but personally id want one where its got some scratches and marks in it but you may want one that is in almost mint condition..are you going to be shooting it or just gonna put it away?
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #3

Make sure the receiver is not stamped CAI or Century Arms. That was junk being thrown together during the Clinton ban.

If you want something that wont depreciate look for a war era rifle from Springfield, Winchester, Harrington & Richardson, and International Harvester. Beretta also made a great mil-spec Garand but that came later in the 50's and 60's.

If you want a shooter make sure its not too wore out. Look at the crown, if you can see sharp edges were the rifling in the barrel meets the crown its good. If its all wore out and rounded i would pass.
blt-2-drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I am considering it an investment but I will be shooting it. I definetly want one that has seen action. I don't want a pristine museum piece.

The shop I am talking to was run by a man that was a WWII vet and he has collected them since he got out. He recently passed away and the shop is now ran by family.

A buddy of mine recently bought one from him. When he took it apart for cleaning he noticed a name carved in it and it had matches and fishing line in the stock.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have an M1. I got it as a gift from a collector. I have yet to fire it.

They are worth collecting, but I don't know if I'd call it an investment. I had interest because my father used one in Korea and raved out it. I know some guys who even say it makes a good hunting rifle. I personally disagree, but anyway ...

I have a BAR Safari that I consider more of an investment. It's less of a must have to me, but more of a true investment than my M1.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH View Post
I have an M1. I got it as a gift from a collector. I have yet to fire it.

They are worth collecting, but I don't know if I'd call it an investment. I had interest because my father used one in Korea and raved out it. I know some guys who even say it makes a good hunting rifle. I personally disagree, but anyway ...

I have a BAR Safari that I consider more of an investment. It's less of a must have to me, but more of a true investment than my M1.
Sweet!

No M1s here, just a byf45 K98. It's a numbers matching model so it's highly collectible.

I'm sure after Eastwood's "Gran Torino" there will be a bit more interest in the M1.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

My great uncle who won a purple heart in WWII carried one and my Grandfather went through basic with one and talked about how good they shoot. That plus the fact that I teach history make it desirable to me.

When I say investment I just mean that you usually don't lose money on guns. At least that is what I'm telling the wife.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #8

Try to find the one with the lowest serial number. There were millions of M1's made, and the lower the serial number, the better. (If you can find one that is 6 digits or less that is good times. ) If the store is willing to give you the serial numbers, research them on the internet at a Garand Serial Number resource and find out when they were made and where they got issued, usually indicating a branch of service. On the rare occasion, a gun can be traced to a specific unit, which can increase its value, especially if you can document its use in combat. Other items to look for would be the aforementioned matching part numbers, but considering that Garands were often rebuilt several times during their service period it is extremely rare to find a Garand with all part numbers. And a Garand with all matching numbers would be worth a LOT more than $850. Also a check of the current going prices on GunBroker or AuctionArms to see what would be a fair price. Neat details to find on a Garand are also unit markings, intials, and proof marks stamped into the stock. These can increase a gun's value, especially a proof mark. A check of the bore would also be in order if you want to have a gun for shooting, to insure that rifling is still present and serviceable.
Sorry to write a book but I hope this helps!!
rcprincess is offline   Reply With Quote