Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Looking to buy a Jeep for the Wife ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Looking to buy a Jeep for the Wife ????

OK, the wife is showing interest in a Jeep. I casually mentioned it to her about a month ago. Since then, she has been pointing out them to me.

Here is my question:

What should I look for?

Broad question but here is what I mean.

What years are best?
I really don't want to spend more than $10K. Used Rubicons are going for much more than that. What would be the next best thing?

It needs to be user friendly for her and the kids but be strong enough for some light off roading.

Do I want coils or leafs. CJ5, 6, 7, Wrangler, X, Sport, Sahara, etc?

I am watching some on ebay but there are so many that I don't now where to start.

Please give me suggestions.

Thanks
John
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

my dad use to have a keep wrangler sport very fun jeep and do u want somthing like a jeep wrangler or a cherrokee?
xxizzer421xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxizzer421xx View Post
my dad use to have a keep wrangler sport very fun jeep and do u want somthing like a jeep wrangler or a cherrokee?
Like a Wrangler...
Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I dont know i have always like the jeep wrangler sport year 2000 im sure if you look around you may discover a jeep wrangler sport or somthigns like that with in the year 2000 and up for below 10,000 im sure not a jeep rubicon 07 or somthing but im sure you couold find a 01,02,03,04, for below 10,000
xxizzer421xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Look for a Used TJ X Model... I'm sure you could find a TJ for around 10k... MIght have 80k+ miles... But if it's been taken care of. It's good for twice that easy.

I believe there is a Great Lakes Jeepthing club.
Thats near you some what correct?

Here is the For Sale Section
http://www.gljt.org/modules.php?name...=viewforum&f=4

Last edited by run2jeepn; 06-28-2007 at 09:00 PM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

X2, look for a TJ X thats what my dad and i got. It had 35K miles on it and is a 2004. We got it for $15K and was a total steal. The only time it had ever seen anything but pavement is when somebody got in it with sandy shoes on. Thats changed now though. Im sure you could get one with some more miles on it for under 10K if you look hard enough.

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 06-28-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

If you plan to stuff kids into the rig also... go find an Unlimited or a newer 4-door JK rig. A TJ has no room unless you remove the back seat and remove the top. If you don't need any room, it's fine.

My TJ is a waste unless I'm alone or myself and the dog or myself and the one kid. Mileage must not be a concern as even a stock TJ only sees about 18mpg in the best driving conditions. I average about 16mpg and it's my DD.... stupid choice on my part.

If she thinks and you think it'd be a good rig..... go drive one with your family. It's a 2 seater even though it can seat 4. I'm short and still feel cramped in my TJ.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:10 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I think I was in a TJ and theres like four seats, and then no trunk area. and im short and had no room!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

A stock TJ gets stuck pretty easy too......

Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

LOL! Is it a real trail or home made trails?, if a real trail whats it acalled/ where
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTCrawlin View Post
LOL! Is it a real trail or home made trails?, if a real trail whats it acalled/ where

Home made trail? Stay in school & Tread Lightly;)

That image is from driving on a gravel road crossing the first snow drift a few weeks back. I had to be pulled out by the Mog.

French fries and chinese food is the odor that comes out of the Mog.....

Old 06-29-2007, 01:48 AM   #12
RCC Addict

honestly if its for the wife get her a tj, it has a much smoother ride, the interior features are much nicer then in a yj or cj!!

personaly i have a yj, my dad drives a tj, and my mom drives a liberty(can you say jeep family)
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:37 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
If you plan to stuff kids into the rig also... go find an Unlimited or a newer 4-door JK rig. A TJ has no room unless you remove the back seat and remove the top. If you don't need any room, it's fine.

My TJ is a waste unless I'm alone or myself and the dog or myself and the one kid. Mileage must not be a concern as even a stock TJ only sees about 18mpg in the best driving conditions. I average about 16mpg and it's my DD.... stupid choice on my part.

If she thinks and you think it'd be a good rig..... go drive one with your family. It's a 2 seater even though it can seat 4. I'm short and still feel cramped in my TJ.
Definitely needs to be able to carry my kids (13 & 10). The 4 door is awesome but too much $$$ for a toy.

Gas Mileage? What's that? Her daily driver is a Avalanche 2500 with the 8.1L V8 (for those that cannot convert---496ci Big Block)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_crawler View Post
honestly if its for the wife get her a tj, it has a much smoother ride, the interior features are much nicer then in a yj or cj!!

personaly i have a yj, my dad drives a tj, and my mom drives a liberty(can you say jeep family)
This is what I have to think about. If it is too old...she will not drive it. Has to have the creature comforts.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Definitely needs to be able to carry my kids (13 & 10). The 4 door is awesome but too much $$$ for a toy.

This is what I have to think about. If it is too old...she will not drive it. Has to have the creature comforts.

Getting in and out of the back seat is a major PITA. I removed mine. Picture a 2 year old sitting in a seat and being able to touch the front seats with his feat..... that's how much room is in the back seat of a TJ.

Look for a Unlimited if the new 4 door JK is out of the limits. More rear leg room and a slightly better ride.