Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 1/8 scale buggies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default 1/8 scale buggies

Anybody here race or use 1/8 buggies? I am wanting to make a E-revo or buggy conversion, and wanted some opinions on what would be the toughest, and easiest to service. I am considering the revo bulkheads and gorillamaxx chassis for an easy swap, or an ofna 9.5 for a homebrew swap.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

I have a MP777 that has a Emaxx tranny on it, used to go suposedly around 70mph but it does not have a motor anymore.

Kyosho buggies are tough as nails, and have champonships to prove it. Also one of the few buggies to withstand to 24 hour test.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #3

how was the CG? Easy to take apart when the driveline blew?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:28 PM   #4
MODERHATER™

The COG was as good as it could get with a motor up high on a maxx tranny, it was real stable though. Never had any issues with diffs, just the tranny, until I got the metal gears.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #5

I have been thinking of fitting a motor directly onto the driveline, and using an outrunner to deal with the lack of geardown with that method. The only hitch I see is getting proper geardown with an inrunner. I do have the tranny out of a twin force though..
Old 07-27-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I am going to convert a Monster GT to electric pretty soon. My reccomnedation.... go to www.finedesignrc.com . They have some really good 2.5hp motors (Nemisis Blue series) Go to the car and truck section. They have motors, speed controls, pinions.... And, you can give em a call, and they can convert your nitro into an electric for you. Or you can buy one straight from them already converted. Its a great place. take a look. www.finedesignrc.com
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #7

No offense, but Chris has reccomended wrong systems and charged my CC too many times (without my authorization) to get a red cent from me. After two wrong motors and ESCs and him yelling at me over the phone I lost respect for him totally as a businesman. Nemisis motors are just cheapie rebadged feigao motors anyway, and I have 5 of those already. I will be using a Neu motor for this baby.

Again, no offense to you Krawlin. Chris lost me as a customer a long time ago.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:22 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Cool

JRH , Have you ever tried http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/ With your knowledge you would fit right in there.
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:22 AM   #9
MWRCA'er

Some one at the track was running a dual outrunner setup in their 1/8 scale like you said direct driveline.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #10

I havent signed up to rc-monster since the old forum went down. Looks like it has picked back up pretty quick though.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:33 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

what you are talking about is a truggy a mix of a buggy and a truck

they run a slightly longer chassis then a buggy and a slightly wider stance.
Now turning a revo into an electric truggy is not a real good thing it will corner well but it wont handle like a real truggy will! I say you go with either a ofna jammin crt, or a hellfire type chassis both are tough! and are competitive top runners in their class!
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #12
I'm a stupid C U N T!

if you're looking for a speed machine/basher and a budget, you can find ofna 9.5's that have most everything hopped up for dirt cheap, and there nearly indestructible. I've tried to destroy mine with little success. I also have a hellfire that would be fun to convert too, but it would require more power as it is heavier and has more rotating mass. are you planning on keeping the center diff, and maybe the manual brakes to take some of the pressure off the motor???
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #13

Probably keep the center diff so I doesn't munch gears, and I will just use the motor brakes probably.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
I'm a stupid C U N T!

the only thing that might get you is gear reduction. if you go with a buggy you can shim up the center diff and put a truggy gear on it to gear it down a bit more, but if you could build a sort of gear reduction unit it would probably be better. maybe a revo tranny with the center diff and a e-maxx gear conversion might work better. although every E-revo or Maxx with the HV maxx systems I've seen have munched spurs or pinions every run
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
No offense, but Chris has reccomended wrong systems and charged my CC too many times (without my authorization) to get a red cent from me. After two wrong motors and ESCs and him yelling at me over the phone I lost respect for him totally as a businesman. Nemisis motors are just cheapie rebadged feigao motors anyway, and I have 5 of those already. I will be using a Neu motor for this baby.

Again, no offense to you Krawlin. Chris lost me as a customer a long time ago.
Dang man, it sounds like he really ripped you a new one. I am sorry to hear that. I have always had good luck with them. I did a dual ESC and dual motor setup with their motors on my E-Maxx. Those 2.5 HP Nemisis's kick some ***. I have ripped out several diffs on my E-Maxx with that setup. But like I said, I am sorry to hear that they treated you like that. LOL, thats why I rarely listen to alot of peoples reccomendations unless I know myself that they work. I have never taken adive from them, but always had good customer service. Anyway, Neu motors? Never heard of them. Got a link?

I lost you as a customer?? LOL, my name is Chris, too.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

My Hacker C50-16 didn't have any trouble moving my converted GS Storm around. Even hauling 18 Ni-Cads, I guesstimated it to be getting into the upper 30's. Torque or cogging was not certainly not an issue though. If anything, I still need to gear it up a lot more. The only problem running a center diff, is that when using motor braking, all the braking effort goes into locking the rears. A super heavy oil or locked diff. is a must. I would mess with it more, but I'm still having issues with the HV-110, and Ni-Cad's suck.

-Destroyer
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
My Hacker C50-16 didn't have any trouble moving my converted GS Storm around. Even hauling 18 Ni-Cads, I guesstimated it to be getting into the upper 30's. Torque or cogging was not certainly not an issue though. If anything, I still need to gear it up a lot more. The only problem running a center diff, is that when using motor braking, all the braking effort goes into locking the rears. A super heavy oil or locked diff. is a must. I would mess with it more, but I'm still having issues with the HV-110, and Ni-Cad's suck.

-Destroyer
I must say though, you have a good looking layout there. Unfortunately, when I convert my Monster GT, the layout wont look nearly as clean. Even with the fuel tank and pipe remeoved, I will still have to put a stick pack in the back through the bumper and shock tower. And 4 cells where the fuel tank was. And then another stick pack on the empty left side. But what sucks is having to have a stick pack up through the rear bumper and shock tower. Its going to be a night mare to get it right. LOL. By the way, hows that motor you've got there? A friend of mine in Tucson has that same motor and says it sucks....how about you?
Old 07-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I use to race a hyper 7 back when I was 10 i think and my dad raced a kyosho kani 7.3(i think).
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Krawlin- Thanks, it still has a way to go, that was mostly a proof of concept build there. The motor plate needs to be shaped and lose some weight, and all the electronics need to be mounted nicely, but it proved my idea would work. I plan to get a nice lipo setup from JRH in the future, but it is on the back burner until I get the controller issues worked out. I like the motor, it worked real well with my old Schulze controller, which I broke when swapping it over to the buggy. Used to have it in my E-Maxx, which hit 45.6 mph on only 14 cells (2 below it's rating), so it should do as good or better in the buggy since it will be lighter and be running more voltage, provided I can get the gearing right. Only issue I have with the motor is the turned down arm to run standard pinions...I'm always worried it will break there being a weak point.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote