Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Got twisted E-Maxx Shafts? New idea to fix that problem!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Got twisted E-Maxx Shafts? New idea to fix that problem!

Many of you have probably experienced at one time or another twisted externally splined half shafts on your E-Maxx. Well, with my new, simple idea, will fix this. Read on for instructions and supplies.

Supplies-

1. Dremel

2. Ruler or Calipers

3. One or two packages of Traxxas Heavy Duty Drive shaft set for the E-Maxx

4. A grinding wheel bit for the dremel.

Instructions-

1. Take you calipers and measure how much of the externally splined half shaft is exposed.

2. Grab one of the internally splined half shafts from the package and make a mark a little shorter on it than the calipers.

3. Take the dremel and cut this piece off.

4. Slide this piece of internally splined half shaft onto the the externally splined half shaft of your truck.

5. Reassemble the drive half shafts.

6. While keeping an eye on this piece you slid onto your externally splined shaft, squish the suspension several times to make sure that the shaft can still slide, but make sure you dont have too much of a gap between the main internally splined half shaft and the piece you slid on.

And there you go. The piece of internally splined shaft will keep the splines on the externally splined shaft fromm twisting, and will still allow for the sliding action.

Cheap, simple, and great durability.

Here are a few pictures (different pics than the ones on www.rcuniverse.com ... Better quality just for you guys. )

Hope it works for you all.

ALSO NOTE!! THIS IS BASICALLY THE "BETA" VERSION FOR CRAWLERS. THIS MOD IS CURRENTLY IN MY E-MAXX, BUT I NEED YOU GUYS TO TRY IT OUT AND SEE HOW IT WORKS FOR CRAWLERS! ITS WELL WORTH THE $5 THAT A LITTLE PACKAGE OF SHAFTS COSTS.

BTW, if you saw this on www.rcuniverse.com , thats me who posted it on there. (I am known as One and Only on RCUniverse BTW)
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Anyone? Wont this work for any of you who use the slider E-Maxx shafts on your crawlers?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Why the hell would i waste my time on that when i could go out and buy revo shafts and be done with it.
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekx65 View Post
Why the hell would i waste my time on that when i could go out and buy revo shafts and be done with it.
Because I thought alot of you guys used E-Maxx shafts because of how much they slide... Besides, if it works for some other people who dont use Revo shafts, all the better right? And for only about $5 to $10, you cant beat the price on this simple mod.

Sorry if this thread pissed you off.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

nah once you go revo you never go back..... but for some people this might be the mod to help em get back on the rocks faster
Old 09-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Or, you could get some metal rod, or even a wooden dowel, that has an OD the same as the ID of the hole in the male half. Tap said rod/dowel in and epoxy in place. Cut to length and problem solved. The rod fills the hole and prevents the shaft from collapsing and twisting. Been used since the E-Maxx first came out and people tried running hotter motors.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
Or, you could get some metal rod, or even a wooden dowel, that has an OD the same as the ID of the hole in the male half. Tap said rod/dowel in and epoxy in place. Cut to length and problem solved. The rod fills the hole and prevents the shaft from collapsing and twisting. Been used since the E-Maxx first came out and people tried running hotter motors.
Wow, sounds interesting! I had never heard of that mod! I will try it some time. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yea i thought of putting some kind of glue that when it dries it dries hard and put it into the male side of the shaft, but i never got to try it I just went revo
Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlin View Post
Wow, sounds interesting! I had never heard of that mod! I will try it some time. Thanks!
The hole in the male side has a taper to it. You'll need to figure that out for the best results. I've tried it before and they still twist right in two. Best thing.....Go Revos and be done with it
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

started doing that back along time ago
havent broke one yet
great cheap mod
MaXX_CrAWlER7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXX_CrAWlER7 View Post
started doing that back along time ago
havent broke one yet
great cheap mod
The mod I originally posted or the glue and rod one?