Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: what is the best way to learn how to use cad programs??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default what is the best way to learn how to use cad programs??

what is the best way to learn how to use cad programs??
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

by practicing or to get the very basics of how stuff will look get google sketchup then upgrade once you feel comfortable with it...
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Depending on the program, there are hundreds of websites that have tutorials. Jut do a google search for ' "CAD Program" Tutorials '.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Depending on the program, there are hundreds of websites that have tutorials. Jut do a google search for ' "CAD Program" Tutorials '.
right now I have a 30 day trial of alibre design, Is that a good program seems easy so far!!

later I might by alibre design express its $250 from their webstore
Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_crawler View Post
what is the best way to learn how to use cad programs??
Take a college course.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HndsWthtShdws View Post
Take a college course.
I dont have time because of work and the commute to work, I wish I had time to go take a college course!! but I all ready calc. it and if I take the college course it leaves my 3-4 hours a day to sleep and eat!!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HndsWthtShdws View Post
Take a college course.
yup. Take a drafting coarse. I did in High school and learned a bunch.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
I'm a stupid C U N T!

it took me years to learn AutoCad and theres tons!!! that I don't know
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
RCC Addict

i want to be able to design my own chassis, rock rings, and other parts that dont seem to be that hard!!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
20K Club

I have never taken a course in CAD, but would consider my self a pretty decent drafter.

Modeling parts in 3D takes a little more practice and a lot more imagination.

I was "forced" to learn quickly, I had worked a total of maybe 8 hours in my life and told the engineering firm I wanted to intern for that I could draft. I worked my but off to be able to keep up with what they expected of me, it just got easier and easier. Your best bet is practice and tutorials. You will develop your own "style" that you do tasks.

Also, drafting rock rings is not hard however designing a proper chassis IS hard. I helped Double J with his Bull chassis, and I also did the X-Trail for TCS. A lot of hours go into getting it right, and sometimes you can just get plain lucky

Drafting is very fulfilling at the end of the day though. AutoCAD is a great program to learn on, but not the most powerfull program available. If I were you I would find a student (a friend or a friends kid) that goes to college and have them get you a student version, used to be only $99. Student copies are a great deal.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Most cad systems have built in tutorials now. There is always the library, go check a book out on the program. Granted they may not have one on Alibre, the Alibre site had a bunch of tutorials.

If you can't swing a class the best way to learn a cad program is a book and just hammering through it. Its amazing what you can learn just poking around.

You're not going to get it all overnight, I have been using Autocad for close to 15 years and still learn something new here and there.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:56 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I have never taken a course in CAD, but would consider my self a pretty decent drafter.

Modeling parts in 3D takes a little more practice and a lot more imagination.

I was "forced" to learn quickly, I had worked a total of maybe 8 hours in my life and told the engineering firm I wanted to intern for that I could draft. I worked my but off to be able to keep up with what they expected of me, it just got easier and easier. Your best bet is practice and tutorials. You will develop your own "style" that you do tasks.

Also, drafting rock rings is not hard however designing a proper chassis IS hard. I helped Double J with his Bull chassis, and I also did the X-Trail for TCS. A lot of hours go into getting it right, and sometimes you can just get plain lucky

Drafting is very fulfilling at the end of the day though. AutoCAD is a great program to learn on, but not the most powerfull program available. If I were you I would find a student (a friend or a friends kid) that goes to college and have them get you a student version, used to be only $99. Student copies are a great deal.
im working on beadlock rings for a set of rc4wd beadlocks right now!!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I've been using AutoCAD 07 and AutoCAD Architecture 08. I going to school for architecture so I'm using it everyday and the more you use the faster you can draw stuff. I bought AutoCAD 07 last year with a student discount and it was $150. But it has a license sort of deal which only lasts a year and then you can't use it again unless you buy another license. If you don't want to keep doing that you can buy a perpetual license which never expires but is triple the price.
fast5xc is offline   Reply With Quote