Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Mini or Z Crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Mini or Z Crawler?

I was just wondering if anyone has ever looked into developing a mini or a z scale rock crawler. Not a small mini z that trys to look and act like a off road truck or rock crawler, but a mini version of the real deal.

Seem like a good idea, especially for indoor courses. That way the courses wouldn't have to take up as much room.

Any ideas out there?
jaxcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

umm, it would make your life easier around here if you would search a tiny bit before starting a thread
there are SSMT scalers, and XMODs
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickedoutTLT06 View Post
umm, it would make your life easier around here if you would search a tiny bit before starting a thread
there are SSMT scalers, and XMODs
You know, I tried to search using "Mini" and "crawler" and "Mini Z" and nothing came up. At least not anything specific.

My question was based on a desire to find out if anyone has built a mini rock crawler, not a manufactured wana be.

I'm thinking more along the lines of something like mini sized raptor axles, and "Stick chassis" and radio and motor config's. You know, the real deal just smaller.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxcoffee View Post
You know, I tried to search using "Mini" and "crawler" and "Mini Z" and nothing came up. At least not anything specific.

My question was based on a desire to find out if anyone has built a mini rock crawler, not a manufactured wana be.

I'm thinking more along the lines of something like mini sized raptor axles, and "Stick chassis" and radio and motor config's. You know, the real deal just smaller.
how mini? people use model bodies, hell some people from germany build ones that will fit in your hand.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickedoutTLT06 View Post
how mini? people use model bodies, hell some people from germany build ones that will fit in your hand.
Oh I would say maybe 1/2 size of what is being used at comps now. Let's say a 6 1/4 WB and a 8 1/2 for the super mini? I don't know, I was just wondering if any of the manufactures on this forum had made anything.

Just thought it would be cool to see if you could build something that would act and respond like the big guys, just take up less room if you wanted an indoor course for the winter.

I looked up the mini z racers web site, and there seems to be a lot on there about mini's, or SSMT as you called it.

What is SSMT by the way?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I built this out of an xmod...

F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Cool Scaler! How does it crawl? Good? I have looked at a lot of the videos of the mini's and they don't seem to handle or look like the one's I have seen at comps or in 2.2 or super videos. They look like they are really straining with quick jerky motions, instead of smooth articulation and movement.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Crawled real good. Had a gear reduction motor in it. The kid who bought it off of me on ebay emailed me about 20 times to tell me how much he loved it and that all his buddies where jeolous. The body is a model car kit.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Oh I would say maybe 1/2 size of what is being used at comps now. Let's say a 6 1/4 WB and a 8 1/2 for the super mini? I don't know, I was just wondering if any of the manufactures on this forum had made anything.

Just thought it would be cool to see if you could build something that would act and respond like the big guys, just take up less room if you wanted an indoor course for the winter.

I looked up the mini z racers web site, and there seems to be a lot on there about mini's, or SSMT as you called it.

What is SSMT by the way?
SSMT stands for Super Slicks Monster Truck, type it into google search there is loads of info, people basicly robbed the axles and threw the rest away, because the axles were like scaled down 1:1 axles, like a tlt axle, or other-here's a couple i've worked on

P.S., sorry for blurry pics..lol

Last edited by trickedoutTLT06; 11-28-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

So! Do you guys think there is a place for this? I see on another post about Xmod's that RCP is saying another manufacture is coming out with a mini crawler. You guys know anything about that?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

You will pay about the same for those ssmt axles as you would for a set of tlt axles. I was going to build one and then I decided to go with the tlt.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
You will pay about the same for those ssmt axles as you would for a set of tlt axles. I was going to build one and then I decided to go with the tlt.
you can buy the truck for 30$. i dont think even one tlt axle is 30$
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #13
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I am in the process of building a crawler using locked out Mini LST axles and a custom twin vertical plate chassis. It will still use the stock trans and will end up with a wheelbase of around 9-10 inches.

Still in the secret prototype stage....so no pics right now
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblazerboy View Post
Where can you get one of those ssmt in the 1/43 scale that they are using the axles from? You are probably looking at the 1/24 or whatever one the other one is.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

i thought the 1:42 was the car what does the 1:43 scale truck look like?
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i thought the 1:42 was the car what does the 1:43 scale truck look like?
Like a monster truck. The other one dosen't have axles lke a tlt or something that you can use in a build. They are discontinued. I looked for some for awhile and guys wanted like $100 for them. I said screw that for that kind of money I can build a 1/10 scale crawler.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
So! Do you guys think there is a place for this? I see on another post about Xmod's that RCP is saying another manufacture is coming out with a mini crawler. You guys know anything about that?
I think so. If someone came out with a micro or mini T sized crawler I bet it would be a HUGE hit. Especially if it were at least as well made as the micro T. But it would need to be a crawler, not a basher. Place some river rock on the living room table and off you go.

Last edited by CRAWL_BOY; 11-28-2007 at 06:56 PM.
CRAWL_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #18
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWL_BOY View Post
I think so. If someone came out with a micro or mini T sized crawler I bet it would be a HUGE hit. Especially if it were at least as well made as the micro T. But it would need to be a crawler, not a basher. Place some river rock on the living room table and off you go.
My point exactly! Come on manufactures on this site. Get Small!

I would love to see mini scale raptor or clod axels, and stick chassis.

Tell me a mini hustler wouldn't fly off the shielfs.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

With the success of the micro sized buggies and the general over all growth of RC rock crawling I bet it won't be long before the two are combined. It takes time to react to customer demand and tool up new designs. Wonder who will be first?
CRAWL_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sooooo wrong.

Thats the 1/43 scale SSMT. They were $30 a long time ago at toys r us. Now they go for $130+ on ebay.

I really wish someone would make some small scale axles. I think RC crawling would be awesome if some people made some 1/24th scale stuff, it would be so awesome.

Last edited by Shaun; 11-29-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote