Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Colorado guys-new super class rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
MODERHATER™

Default Colorado guys-new super class rules

I personally do not like the proposed min-max WB on the super class. Particularly the MAX. Post up your feelings.

Heres a sneak peek at the SOON TO BE RELEASED 2009 USRCCA Rules

2.2 - Class 1 - Super Crawler Class:
• 2.2.1 - Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a minimum of 16 inches and a maximum of 18 inches. This is
determined by measuring from centerline of front axle stub to centerline of rear axle stub, with all the
wheels pointing straight ahead, with the vehicles suspension holding it's own weight.
• 2.2.2 - No limits on tire type or size.
• 2.2.3 - No limits to steering configuration.
• 2.2.4 - Super class bodiless over all dimension of the complete chassis must be at least 12"overall
length, 3" overall width, and 3.75" overall height
• 2.2.5 - If at any point during a run your vehicle falls out of these vehicle specs for any reason you will
be required to take a touch penalty and correct the problem.

Last edited by 666; 01-28-2009 at 06:06 PM.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Glad I got out of my 14er phase
That sounds just fine to me. I think I'm right at 17-7/8

I guess if thats what everyone thinks will work to keep supers alive, so be it
Sparky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Gettin’ back on the horse

Why would there be a max size cut off? What is the harm in having a longer rig? I already know the advantage to a short rig, but why not bigger?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm at 18.5 and really like it, 18's not that much shorter so if that's what they decide I guess i'll have to live with it. Not much we could do about it anyway.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrockr View Post
I'm at 18.5 and really like it, 18's not that much shorter so if that's what they decide I guess i'll have to live with it. Not much we could do about it anyway.
Yes there is, we can voice our opinion.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Opinions are just that, the powers that be will do what they think is best anyway. Kinda like the mess we're in for the next 4 years. I don't like it, I think the max needs to be higher or 16" and up, no max limit.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
RCC Addict

W-B min should be 14, maybe even 15. Throw 16 out and get ride of 18.

Super is the unlimited class.

I can agree that there is a need for a minimum W-B, but 16 is too long.

The courses that are ran on really limit them from going to long anyway. But alot of drivers are running 18.5 now and this seems to do well, some run 15.5 and run very well also.

JMO, keep it the SUPER CLASS with this minor change. Anything else and I believe you might just remove more drivers from this class. It struggles with numbers from many locations now.

Again, JMO.

I know, I know, SHUT UP!!!!!:-P

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I can see a min wheel base as a change to the rules. I do like the class the way it is. But I'd also like to see more people running supers so I'm open to new ideas.
Jgoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I could see a MIN WB, but a MAX WB is seems a little strange to me. The courses kind of limit them selves any way. If I wanted to make a crawler that was the same as everyone else, I would build a 2.2. I do wish there would be more supers out there. I have been thinking of starting a 2.2 just so I could compete with other people, That way they could show me up! The bodyless rules could be ok if that is the measurements of the Huster. I will measure mine and find out. But I realy don't see the need for such a rule.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Like others have said, I like the idea of a minimum wb. 16 is ok with me since I would not build one that small. I could see making the minimum smaller, but something that would not allow 2.2 sized rigs not be able to meet the minimum. I really don't know if making a max sized wb will do anything for the class, there is a point were to big is too big and course design would weed out anything too big.
I'm stuck with the size rig that I have now without getting a new chassis, but I would fit with in the new rules without having to change anything, so for me I guess the new wb rules would have very little impact.
I would also like to see the class grow so I feel if changing the rules some to help supers stay alive, then change the rules.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

One of the big factors for max WB was so that people wanting to run supers at an event like Nationals would have a number to build a rig around. I know that over the years I have always gotten frustrated by always feeling like the best wheelbase grows every year. This also gives something for manufacturers to design to if we see any new supers come from them.

Every other class has a wheelbase limit, why not super? Remember, the whole unlimited thing died out. I hope this rule will be beneficial to the super class.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
[HOONIGAN]

I think a max wb rule is stupid, especially at 18". If your going to have a max set it at 19 or 20". 18-19" is the optimal range, why cut half of the sweet spot out. I see why your doing the rule, but if it was bumped up to at least 19" you could accomplish the same thing and yet keep most people happy. You would also still have a little room on each end of the limit for people to play with. 18" is just a bad choice imo. The 16" limit is good and should keep 2.2's out of supers.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
...you could accomplish the same thing and yet keep most people happy. ....
Now there's a pipe dream.

I think 18 was chosen because like you said, it's right at the sweet spot.
The 12.5" wb rule in 2.2 was chosen because at the time it seemed to be the sweet spot.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I've ran from 16 to the 19 and have now settled at 18.5 which I think is right in the sweet spot. I can see the purpose of a limit but I think it just needs to be higher is all.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #15
MODERHATER™

I hate it, my whole rig revolves around 18.5". It is not just as easy as cutting a 1/4" off each link and calling it good.

There are tons of rigs that are 18"+ alot of championship rigs.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #16
RCC Addict

it seems like this proposal would require alot of people already running supers to rework there rigs to get inside that 18" mark. my super is 18.5 as well. i like the idea for manufacturers but give them a gideline to go from based on the setups . i think a 1/2 inch isnt to far to move the max # if one is nescessary to keep the class growing. i dont think a min is a bad idea. but i dont think a change that takes active super drivers and makes them change their rigs is the solution.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #17