Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Colorado guys Super Class Changes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
PapaGriz Yo

Default Colorado guys Super Class Changes?

There is talk of adding some restrictions to the super class to keep 2.2's out of that class.

My personal feeling is that 2.2's should be allowed to run in super, sometimes it can be an advantage to have a smaller more nimble rig but other times it's going to kill you. So in the end it all evens out.

IF, there we to be changes I would like to see 2.2" wheels still allowed but I could live with a minimum width requirement of 12.5". This would still allow Clod, TXT, or WK axles to run with 2.2" wheels or narrow Maxx sized wheels.

What are your thoughts on the Super class?
Do you want minimum wheelbase restrictions?
Do you want minimum width restrictions?
Do you want to outlaw 2.2" wheels?
Are things just fine how they are?
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

I think things are fine now, with course design being the limiting factor. But, I also understand not everyone has access to the terrain we do. The supers are big and bulky, with wider gate requirements. So driving a 2.2 on a super course is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. Maybe one or 2 well worded restrictions could be thrown out, like a minimum wheelbase and width. So all the trucks are relatively the same size in each class.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
I think things are fine now, with course design being the limiting factor. But, I also understand not everyone has access to the terrain we do. The supers are big and bulky, with wider gate requirements. So driving a 2.2 on a super course is like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. Maybe one or 2 well worded restrictions could be thrown out, like a minimum wheelbase and width. So all the trucks are relatively the same size in each class.
I agree with you there. The single biggest advantage I can see a smaller 2.2 having over a super is the width. If the width has to be similar then it really levels things out.
Thanks Brad.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
MODERHATER™

I hate to see this, it should just be a common sense rule but..........

I'm with what has been said, wheelbase and width regulations.

Rules.....How do I get on the rules commitee?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I hate to see this, it should just be a common sense rule but..........

I'm with what has been said, wheelbase and width regulations.

Rules.....How do I get on the rules commitee?
Start another CO club and submit it to Kevinlongisland for approval by RCC.
Or we can have a poll to see if everyone wants to vote me out and you in.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have followed most of the threads on this and can see both sides of it. I don't have a Super cause I really don't like the big SOB's But agree with Patrick that it should be a given and a common sense thing. I agree with Bender that the course design plays a role also. I can barely get through our 2.2 courses muchless try to push my 2.2 through one of our Super courses. Especially if Bender is the designer:-P IF you don't want an AX10 running in the Supers, there is some sort of rule or regulation that has to be implemented to prevent it. Currently it is a run what you brung class and anything goes. I am not sure that a minimum WB or width restrictions will really stop the 2.2 from running. I think I could make my SW3 2.2 fit your above new Super requirements. Not sure how it would perform but could do it!! I think doing that, you will see the overall size of Supers getting smaller. I could be wrong but is what popped into my head. I still think terrain and course design play the biggest role in this debate
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post
I have followed most of the threads on this and can see both sides of it. I don't have a Super cause I really don't like the big SOB's But agree with Patrick that it should be a given and a common sense thing. I agree with Bender that the course design plays a role also. I can barely get through our 2.2 courses muchless try to push my 2.2 through one of our Super courses. Especially if Bender is the designer:-P IF you don't want an AX10 running in the Supers, there is some sort of rule or regulation that has to be implemented to prevent it. Currently it is a run what you brung class and anything goes. I am not sure that a minimum WB or width restrictions will really stop the 2.2 from running. I think I could make my SW3 2.2 fit your above new Super requirements. Not sure how it would perform but could do it!! I think doing that, you will see the overall size of Supers getting smaller. I could be wrong but is what popped into my head. I still think terrain and course design play the biggest role in this debate
There are three camps:
1) Those that want 2.2's out of super completely.
2) Those that want minimum requirements so that a 2.2 would have to be as big as a "true" super.
3) Those that want to leave it alone.

I am personally in camp 2. I really had fun running my 2.2 Clod in Super last year, it was 12.5 inches wide and 14.75" wb. After I switched to Maxx size wheels not much changed on the size. I just hate to limit people from running a rig like that in 2.2.

So what is your choice?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I say a minimum Max sized tire. JMO
Sparky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Leave it alone and set up super courses for super trucks, simple as that. The point of the super class is that you have no restrictions aside from it must have 4 tires and some set dimensions for a body.

For way to make a 2.2 worthless in the super class think summer series final out at buffalo creek and the way the last gate was set up on the super class shootout
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:18 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
There are three camps:
1) Those that want 2.2's out of super completely.
2) Those that want minimum requirements so that a 2.2 would have to be as big as a "true" super.
3) Those that want to leave it alone.

I am personally in camp 2. I really had fun running my 2.2 Clod in Super last year, it was 12.5 inches wide and 14.75" wb. After I switched to Maxx size wheels not much changed on the size. I just hate to limit people from running a rig like that in 2.2.

So what is your choice?
I think I would fall into camp 2 also. I just like seeing apples to apples I guess. A true Super handles so differently than a 2.2, I personally like seeing who is a better driver than the most money. Don't get me wrong, I have some $$$ tied up in my 2.2 comp rig. But that is my choice, I am spoiled and like having all the cool toys. I could still be competitive for alot less if I chose that route. The tire selection gives the 2.2 an advantage from the get go compared to the Supers. You have Moabs and that is about it!!!

Like Slugz said, I would never think about putting a 2.2 in a CO Super class event. Might as well give me the DNF and I will just drink a beer and watch everyone else!!
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Start another CO club and submit it to Kevinlongisland for approval by RCC.
Or we can have a poll to see if everyone wants to vote me out and you in.
With as many people running now as we do, 2 clubs would not be a half bad idea, what does anyone think?

I don't think your leaving your spot so thats out.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
[HOONIGAN]

I thought the whole point of the super class is pretty much no rules. No were has it ever been said that it is meant for 18" wb rigs running 7" tires, that's just what the norm is and has evolved to be. If someone can kick my ass with a 2.2 of some sort on a real supers course I think that's awesome. I think by adding restrictions to this class we are limiting innovation. I think that the whole problem can be solved with common sense when setting up a course though. Make the first gate a 14" ledge and eliminate any small 2.2's, it's as simple as that. I say if your rig doesn't fit in the 2.2 class run it in the super class, but know that you're going to have to do some obstacles that require a long wheelbase and not just the 2.2 courses with wider gates. I think is would be a bad idea to make width requirements though. If some one comes out with some crazy design that runs an 18" wb with 7" tires and is only 11" wide that whoops all our asses then more power to them.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I think the course designs and rules should be changed so I can win.....j/k

I vote to leave it alone. the super class is fine the way it is. May be make the width between the gates wider than 20 inches so my wide @$$ rig with front steer only can get through easier.
evileddy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I say leave it alone.
It is the super unlimited class.
Do anything and run anything.

For me....I ain't running supers until there ARE new rules set, limiting wheel base to 15 or 15.5 inches. I know it is contradictory but I think that a whole new "Standard Class" should evolve from the Supers. Maxx sized wheels and tires, etc.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I'm with wrecker on this one. The big thing I like about crawling is the "run what ya brung" rules. I've always been more interested in the building and engineering aspect of racing, so I'll always be against rule changes like this. As it stands, the super class around here is so small anyways, a few 2.2 rigs entering won't really hurt anything, and if one of them wins, get pissed at the course designer rather than the guy running a 2.2.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #16

Default On the fence post.

My opinion NO 2.2s. Supers are supers. Supers are the top dawg of crawlers. But here are a few ideas I would like to suggest.

All rigs should be teched before any course is set up. By doing this a driver can not pick his rig based upon course layout.

Build courses for "real/true" Supers. I think in CO we already do that, and we can only build them tougher.

Limit tires this can be done two ways.
- set a min height, lets say 6" as set by mfg specs. Driver must prove.
- set a min wheel size maxx/clod size or larger, with no min height limit.

Make a group vote or super judges vote. If the truck looks like a super its OK, but if it looks more like a 2.2 or a stretched 2.2 tell them they can run but scores will not count.

This is crawling I am in it to have fun. I want every one that shows up to be able to crawl. But I think we should have equal competition.

Last edited by bulfrog; 04-22-2008 at 12:30 AM.
bulfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #17
Gettin’ back on the horse

What is this about? Why is there such a stink because at "some event" The course designers were idiots and didnt creat a super course, and someone was smart enough to think about it and used it to there advantage. I say good for him. This is the unlimited class... the thing that got me attracted to this class was the only rule was body restrictions. Leave it alone, its fine besides the way we design courses its not really possible to run a 2.2 on alot of the obsticals we use. Do you guys remember super courses at horsetooth or red rocks or even palmer? It wouldnt even be possible to get a 2.2 part way thru any courses. So because certain clubs dont know how to set up courses we all should suffer? I dont think so... We all know who is setting up courses at nationals and I gaurantee a 2.2 wont be able to start a course. So dont stress boys. Besides I want to run my rock racer as a super

Ok really next thing you know we are going to be limiting what axles you can use...
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
PapaGriz Yo

I count 9 people (including myself) that said things are fine and 3 that felt some kind of restrictions would be better.

I voiced that thought but it looks like the majority of clubs want some kind of change. :-(
Not sure if there will actually be any changes, we'll just have to see.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #19
Gettin’ back on the horse

Not to be mean but because they dont know how to set up courses, we all have to suffer? Can we make the rule were you must pull your head out of your a$$ before you build a course?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #20
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Not to be mean but because they dont know how to set up courses, we all have to suffer? Can we make the rule were you must pull your head out of your a$$ before you build a course?

I got no comment on that one.