Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: CNC Machine Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default CNC Machine Help?

I just wanted to know if anyone has experience with a CNC Machine. I'm looking to buy a table top CNC Machine for the Gurage so that I can cut my own chassis plates. I've never used one before so i don't know what to look for when buying one. I've got the CAD software down, I just need a package to write the G code and make the machine do what is designed ont he computer.

i'm looking for the ability to cut up to 12 x 12 stock minimum and 2-4 inches depth. I'de like the 4th axis but to get started I'm just going to stick with a 3 axis machine.

My real question is does anyone know where in the springs or denver I could go to look at and buy one?
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Got Worms?

I have some experience operating a cnc machine...but i can't really give you any pointers on a specific machine as i was/am running a 100k Hass machine

Although I've been eye balling afew benchtop mills, but non have a 12" movement in Y,

But check out this place, i think they have some cheaper cam software, although g-code isn't that hard to learn...till you start to getting into complex geometry and curves.

LittleMachineShop.com - tooling, parts, and accessories for bench top machinists

Every now and then i see some used bench top cnc mills in your area on craigslist. Usually are at a good price....i just never had the cash to ante up for one.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I found these on e-bay

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I really don't like the idea of ordering from china though!!!!

The other alternative is CNC Stepper Motor Driver Systems & Hobby CNC Routers:: PROBOTIX™ which I'm more comfortable with the idea of, I'm just conserned about the fact that you have to put it together. I'm just not sure how you would check the precission once together. I'm primarily just trying to cut chassis plates and other 2D objects to start with. Then once I've saved enough spring for a small 4 axis to do multidimentional parts.

I'de just like to be able to see one hands on with someone who knows what they are looking at before I drop the $$$$ on one.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Got Worms?

So are you looking for a mill or a router? They're 2 different beasts. (same programming though, for the most parts its all G i think)

Assembly shouldn't cause any accuracy errors, although back lash could be an issue on a cnc.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
So are you looking for a mill or a router? They're 2 different beasts. (same programming though, for the most parts its all G i think)

Assembly shouldn't cause any accuracy errors, although back lash could be an issue on a cnc.
I ment a router, not a mill. Router first to start with.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

You may run into issues with a router table at 4" deep...that's asking quite a bit from a garage machine.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
You may run into issues with a router table at 4" deep...that's asking quite a bit from a garage machine.
From what i've been reading if you are doing thick material you can program the machine to cut say 1/8in deep each pass so that you don't over strain the machine. Either that or that was for the Mill. I'm doing as much reading trying to understand the diferent functions that sutes each type of machine so I know exactly what I'm getting in to. It's alot of work and study but I think I'm getting closer to a basic understanding without hands on. i'm sure most of the light will shed once I pick up the software and start running my first cuts. I plan on primarily cutting delrin so that shouldnt be too tough on the machine.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Check out the CNCZone Forums. They have a mentor section where you might find someone in your area, with a machine similar to what you are looking for. Many on there are pretty friendly and would be more than happy to have you stop by to check out their machine.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have a sherline mill and lathe, but I have not fully cnc'd the machines yet. There is a lot of controllers and software that will work and once you buy the machine it typically costs about $400-500 to cnc out. I do wish I would have spent a little more and just got the full cnc mill from sherline instead of waiting to get the controller. There is a place in littleton, A2ZCNC that does carry some products, or at least they used to. That is where I got my machines. I know he no longer carries sherline, but I think he may carry other stuff.

A2Z CNC - Home

Nate
sig_p232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

His 12 X 12 stock minimum would eliminate the Sherline (and Taig) from consideration. Actually it's going to eliminate most bench top mills. For that size he needs to be looking at router tables for something more affordable.

Just out of curiosity though, why do you need 12" in the Y? That's quite a bit for RC parts, even if you are making chassis plates.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
His 12 X 12 stock minimum would eliminate the Sherline (and Taig) from consideration. Actually it's going to eliminate most bench top mills. For that size he needs to be looking at router tables for something more affordable.

Just out of curiosity though, why do you need 12" in the Y? That's quite a bit for RC parts, even if you are making chassis plates.
12 in the Y isn't a requirement but it would be nice. I buy my delrin in 12X24in sheets usualy so if I can lay out 4 chassis plates on on sheet and cut them out that way it would be a little easier and also I'm working on a LCG Pan Design for my slash that would need to go to atleast 8 in in the y and 12 on the X. That's my only reason.