Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Connecticut

Notices

Thread: Looking Forward to Some Outdoor Crawling After a Long Winter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Looking Forward to Some Outdoor Crawling After a Long Winter

Thought we could start the conversation about scheduling some GTGs and comps for this spring in western CT area, maybe lower MA and eastern NY.

Possible locations off the top of my head include:
Lovers Leap State Park in New Milford (small, but fun place)
Tarrywile Park in Danbury (fun for 2.2 and scalers)
Southford Falls State (I haven't been yet)

Maybe we can throw together an informal three or four event series.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Outdoor Crawlin

Boston Crawlers is staring up its outdoor series on April 14th.If you don't mind the drive to Massachusetts.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brid96 View Post
Boston Crawlers is staring up its outdoor series on April 14th.If you don't mind the drive to Massachusetts.
I appreciate the heads up. Boston is a bit of a hike for me.

I do plan to go to Skinner State Park in Hadley, MA. I went to a comp and GTG there once and loved the place
Old 03-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I am fired up to get a crawl or two in with some locals! Lets get some posts on here in support of Fairfield County crawling

Ryan
cliffdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm at the other end of the state right now but my parents live in Newtown. I'd love to make some Fairfield County crawls this summer!
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

A bunch of us got together at the bethel supercross track and did some bashing and a bit of crawling for those interested. I am planning on being there this sat morning, and if you got a basher bring that too! Post up on here if your interested.

Ryan
Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdawg View Post
A bunch of us got together at the bethel supercross track and did some bashing and a bit of crawling for those interested. I am planning on being there this sat morning, and if you got a basher bring that too! Post up on here if your interested.

Ryan
What time are you going to the BMX track?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I gotta visit my grandma at some point during the day up in middletown, but I prob cant stay that long up there so thats only gonna be a couple of hours. I can make for 9:30am ish or into the afternoon. either is fine with me.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I gotta visit my grandma at some point during the day up in middletown, but I prob cant stay that long up there so thats only gonna be a couple of hours. I can make for 9:30am ish or into the afternoon. either is fine with me.
Morning is cool with me. I have to get my daughter to a cookie sale at 1.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Matt - We hold a comp at Southford Falls - the falls area is great for scalers with lots of foot traffic to help promote the hobby - If you take a short hike (10-15 minutes) you can find terrain that will challenge most anything. It really is a shame that you guys won't travel. We (ECRCC) hold comps at LightHouse Point in New Haven and we are still trying to find a good Western location for a comp (living so far away makes it difficult to scout) You guys might want to try heading north to Kent Falls or just about anywhere in Goshen
crawlinghulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH View Post
Morning is cool with me. I have to get my daughter to a cookie sale at 1.
So my wife has decided we are going in the morning to see my grandma... So now it looks like the afternoon is going to be more like it, sry Matt. Prob around 2-3ish maybe.

Ryan
Old 03-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinghulls View Post
Matt - We hold a comp at Southford Falls - the falls area is great for scalers with lots of foot traffic to help promote the hobby - If you take a short hike (10-15 minutes) you can find terrain that will challenge most anything. It really is a shame that you guys won't travel. We (ECRCC) hold comps at LightHouse Point in New Haven and we are still trying to find a good Western location for a comp (living so far away makes it difficult to scout) You guys might want to try heading north to Kent Falls or just about anywhere in Goshen
I travel. Lighthouse Point is great--been there a bunch. We shoot there a lot for the magazine even. I also like Hubbard Park in Middletown. Kent Falls is fun until it gets crowded. When it's warm, there are too many people there to crawl. I would never try to go to Kent Falls with more than two people and I'd never go when it's warm.

I need to check out Southford Falls. Where in Goshen? I've gone to the fairgrounds twice and thought the area looked better for cows than crawlers.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:00 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So my wife has decided we are going in the morning to see my grandma... So now it looks like the afternoon is going to be more like it, sry Matt. Prob around 2-3ish maybe.

Ryan
Oh well. I'll miss you guys then. At two, I pick up my daughter from the cookie sale and head over to grandma's ourselves
Old 03-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Gonna be a few late...
Old 04-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Looks like I will be at the Bethel, CT BMX track tommorow at 2:00ish Join up if you can.

Ryan
Old 04-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

The other day Kevin and I went up there around 4:30 on a weekday to do some videos for work. We showed up about the same this lady and her teenage son rolled up. The kid hit the track while we were setting up, so we just stood by and waited. The lady eventually turns to us and says, "You know you guys can't use the track while people are biking on it." We said, "Of course," but her mega snotty tone gave her away. We never even put a toe on the track, but she still called the cops. Two cops show up, admit she's a big C, but tell us that we can't use the track until we get written permission.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

dude, first off I got permission from Don Olsen, he is the man at the track! The hardware store has sponsored events there and he is completely cool with us using it. Just as long as we show respect to the bikers because its a bmx track. That is some bull shit. Let me know if this happens again, because don is cool as hell about us. Seriously, call me or shoot me a message about this! Damn, im pissed now... let me know if your going over to do a shoot I want too see... hahah.

Ryan
Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
dude, first off I got permission from Don Olsen, he is the man at the track! The hardware store has sponsored events there and he is completely cool with us using it. Just as long as we show respect to the bikers because its a bmx track. That is some bull shit. Let me know if this happens again, because don is cool as hell about us. Seriously, call me or shoot me a message about this! Damn, im pissed now... let me know if your going over to do a shoot I want too see... hahah.

Ryan
We need a new letter or email from Don saying we can use the track as long as no bikers are using it. The cops were cool; the lady was not. Our connection with Don now works at an events company, so if you know him, any help would be great.

I'll let you know next time we go shoot.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Default ECCRC Spring Fling?

Just testing the water, it's a bit of a hike but I was thinking about trying to go.
Not solid yet, but if I can swing it, anyone want to come with?
I've got a CRV so theres room for more.
we can figure out meeting points or we can just meet at my house.
Matt as I recall you used to live in Arlington woods right?
If it works out that New Milford is on the way we can pick you up.
Again nothing in stone yet, just a thought, but it would be cool to see and take part in a comp.

Alternatively we could go to RC Madness or just crawl around in the danbury bethel area.
let me know your thoughts.
Captain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote