Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: what is the strongest servo the stock esc can handle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default what is the strongest servo the stock esc can handle?

can some one tell me the strongest servo the stock esc can hold? thanks
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

dont know but im bout to use my buddy's- out of his traxxis t-maxx
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #3

You can use any servo, because the servo is connected to the receiver and not to the ESC.
You can use any make with ball bearings and metal gears or the titanium gears and the stronggest are the digital servos but with they draw more current from your batteries than the others.

Hope this could help you.
salgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
RCC Addict

If you use 2 servos and they are both high torque the current draw may be to much for the stock esc to handle so you might need to get and external bec.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCrawler View Post
can some one tell me the strongest servo the stock esc can hold? thanks
The other post is right. The servos do not go thru the esc, just the receiver. The stock esc does have BEC(battery eliminating circuitry). The servos may not be able to draw enough power, that's where the External BEC comes in. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Here is a link to a bunch of External BEC's. Bout the middle of the page are two Castle Creations, a 10amp and a 20amp. I am going to purchase the 20amp when I purchase new servos. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=bec&search=Go
rev1764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The power for the servos comes from either the BEC in the ESC or an external BEC and is fed into the reciever. Most built in BEC's can handle 2 servos with a 2s lipo or a 6/7 sell pack. It when you start upping the voltage things get a little screwy. When you install an external BEC you disconnect the the BEC wire coming from the ESC to the reciever. The external allows more voltage/amperage to go to the servo giving you more power. I use the CC 10amp BEC to run a couple tower 995mg servos because my sidewinder would shut down on 3s lipo using the internal BEC.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
The power for the servos comes from either the BEC in the ESC or an external BEC and is fed into the reciever. Most built in BEC's can handle 2 servos with a 2s lipo or a 6/7 sell pack. It when you start upping the voltage things get a little screwy. When you install an external BEC you disconnect the the BEC wire coming from the ESC to the reciever. The external allows more voltage/amperage to go to the servo giving you more power. I use the CC 10amp BEC to run a couple tower 995mg servos because my sidewinder would shut down on 3s lipo using the internal BEC.
So the 10 amp would suffice for the Cliff Climber, even with two high torque servos? I got it backwards before. The esc has the bec not the receiver. The receiver has the plugin for the external bec. I thought you didn't have to disconnect the internal bec, it was just sometimes recommended by manufacturers in some instances. Which wire is it on the stock esc?
rev1764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

i have the rear steering locked out so will only need one servo. so i shouldnt have a problem running one strong servo....correct
thanks for all the help guys
Old 09-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
RCC Addict

One strong servo shouldn't be a problem at all. All you have to do is disconnect the red center wire on the ESC going to the reciever and youre good to go on the external BEC.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
One strong servo shouldn't be a problem at all. All you have to do is disconnect the red center wire on the ESC going to the reciever and youre good to go on the external BEC.
thanks brojust buildin on a budget and didnt want to eff anything up!