Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: my CC crashed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #1

Default my CC crashed

My RC was behaving strangely today. Whenever I stopped, the wheels would shiver (turning right and left all by itself). It would do that for about 30 seconds and turn itself off.. lights on ESC would go off. If i reset the ESC, it would run again.

Whenever it went around 4-5 yards from me (Transmitter), it would jump all of sudden and switch to reverse. I got hold of it, removed the body, placed it on ground and switched on and thats it. It ran at full speed all by itself, hit the wall and fell on ESC and broke the on/off switch :-(

Guys, what would be wrong ? ESC or Transmitter ?
I had got the http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ0925**

Whom should i turn for help now ? This is the first thing I got in RC and feeling short of experience
prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 AM   #2

Was it behaving normally before this? The first thing to check would be the transmitter batteries; make sure they are freshly charged, or you have a set of fresh alkalines to put in. I use NiMH cells in mine but keep alkalines around the house for emergencies, and a bag of 8 AAs in my workshop JIC.

Did the truck get wet at all? Did you make sure to turn the transmitter on first, and then the truck? Is the antenna wire coming from the receiver damaged, or touching the aluminum chassis?

You could contact Duratrax about it, I'm sure they can help if it is still under warranty.
3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #3

It was kind of displaying the shivering behavior ever since I got it.
http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169898

I always turn on Transmitter first, followed by CC. I will check the antenna connections..

It never got wet, as I did most of my crawling inside and the backyard. Transmitter batteries are also pretty new.. but yes, it could be also a culprit. I cant change the transmitter batteries and try as the ESC on/off switch is gone !!
prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you just connect the 2 wires that used to go to the switch it will work. Most of us cut off the switch on our crawlers anyways. Then it comes on when you connect the battery.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
If you just connect the 2 wires that used to go to the switch it will work. Most of us cut off the switch on our crawlers anyways. Then it comes on when you connect the battery.
I never liked that setup, not having a switch. The first ESC I ever bought had one, and it was never a problem, but the potential was always there; if the truck runs wild, it is much easier to pick it up and flip a switch with a single finger than to try and reach in and fight two connectors apart. I used to work at a hobby shop, and would announce/tech the races and one time had to 'make' a kid put a switch back on his ESC (he had just soldered the leads together for some reason) because when a marshall tried to turn his car off he couldn't.

It would be OK to test the truck with, as long as you keep the wheels up off the ground, but I'd put one on when you get the chance. You can get replacement switches from any hobby shop, even some from Radio Shack that will work, but I would give Duratrax a call and see if they can help diagnose the first issue.
3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

My CC had bad crystals when I got it. I flipped out because it was so glitchy and thought I had a bad ESC or receiver, but I grabbed a spare crystal set, and it worked great. I have lots of crystals floating around, so it was kind of a shot in the dark that worked. It's quick and easy, so why not give it a shot?
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote