Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Metal Gear Noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #1

Default Metal Gear Noise

I put in a full set of metal gears in the CC. The gears are pretty loud compared to the plastic ones. How much grease should be packed in there on the metal gears? I used about the same amount as was on the plastic gears. The gear mesh seems fine, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
MaxxBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

metal gears will always be louder than plastic just put a generous amount of grease on them
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
www.team3sixrc.com

I sell rocksmith gearjelly which was specifically designed for use on metal gears. It will quite that noise right up.
http://www.team3sixrc.com/apps/webstore/
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i've been putting lithium grease in mine.
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

does it work good?
JeepersCreepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
www.team3sixrc.com

Ill tell you this. Lithium grease starts out fine, but as it heats up it becomes more liquid eventually coating more of the housing then the gears.

Rocksmith gearjelly is a combination of several greases combined for the main purpose of sticking to the gear and staying there. I personally stand behind it as well as many many others. It was designed mainly for the RC4WD R2 tranny because of the noise. Ever since them many crawlers have used this product in many other applications with flawless effects. I highly recommend it which is why I sell it.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Ill tell you this. Lithium grease starts out fine, but as it heats up it becomes more liquid eventually coating more of the housing then the gears.
This is so true. I bought some gorilla snawt off ebay. Worked great for about 10 minutes then it flung off all the gears. Packed em twice just to make sure.

Quote:
I personally stand behind it as well as many many others.
I have always wanted to try the gear jelly. How much would I need for a set of bullies, MRC axles and tranny? You having a sale anytime in the future?
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
www.team3sixrc.com

couldnt tell ya, I figure maybe a jar and a half for all of that. No sales boss. Im a small company and Dennis has given me the distributorship of the product until things change.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i guess i'll try wheel bearing grease next.
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #10
www.team3sixrc.com

The question was brought up in another thread relating to grease for plastic gears and what a lot of people don't understand is that there are several types of lubricants for certain purposes. There is a big difference between automotive grade lubrication and smaller RC grade lubrication. Knowing and understanding the different levels of Petroleum products and their uses makes a difference in what application it is used in. Even though this is a post from another thread based on plastic gears, this also helps explain the properties of lubricants and explains why I suggest the Gearjelly brand.

So, let me help you with this thread and educate some of you on personalities of lubricants and greases.

In no way am I forcing anyone to purchase the Rocksmith Gearjelly and by all means if you feel more comfortable using another product, then by all means please do so.

The question was asked to me in a P.M. about what the long/short term effects would be of using gearjelly on plastic gears.

I myself have had quite sometime involved in building Pro Street/top fuel drag racing cars, so understanding lubrication is a must. Its not as simple as just buying any ole grease or lube and shooting it on a your moving parts hoping for the best. If there was an ultimate lubricant for plastic or metal, slow or fast, meshed, or twined type gears, we all would be using it.

You need to understand that one, these are 1/10th versions of gears which generally take on more wear and tear and more movement then larger scaled gears. Plastic is what is generally provided for most kits because its cheaper, it allows a truck or car to be an RTR or ARTR out the door, its less expensive to replace, and most of all It keeps from other parts breaking which could be more costly. I want to stress this... A lot of people wonder why plastic, when it could be metal! I would rather strip a plastic spur gear then strip all my gears in my transmission! sometimes Plastic is a better way to go, Building that Ultimate Integy blinged out truck looks good, but most likely will run like crap once one of them expensive gears goes out and wrecks a tranny or axle.

Now Most of the time these gears come factory with a high viscosity lubrication already applied for a reason. Again its cheap and as much as you would be replacing the plastic gears, that is as long as it would take for the light weight lube to last. But the reason that its a lighter weight lube is because its viscosity is more watery and in that has less distillates. Its purpose made for that application

So if you are looking for an over the counter safe type of grease or lube for plastic gears, you want to get something that is specifically made for plastic gears or metal gears. Just because its a thinner lube doesn't mean its safer! Its all about the dissolving properties of that product. Not all greases and lubricants are the same, some have higher levels of distillates.

Now to explain the classes on how distillates effect the ratio of grease you are using its quite simple.

Crude oil is born of the earth, when it is drilled, it is then taken to be refined which is done by heating up or Catalytic cracking, this allows the properties of the crude oil to separate into several parts and types of petroleum products from lip gloss to heavy solvents

In that its easy to deduct the differences of a light weight lube compared to a heavy grease. lightweight lubes will have less distillate properties yet still have a jelly form to it. Its the top of the grease layers in the petro pool. This level is easier to heat up and rises to the top of the separation process and therefor makes it easier to breakdown. gears spinning = lubrication breakdown increased!

Heavier solid crude takes more heat and means that its harder to break down.
spinning gears = lubrication breakdown decreased!

Now some of these lubes and greases are mixed with a solvent additives. and the reason for this is to increase burning point, ignition spikes, curved breakdown. which makes these substitutes easier to use in certain situations.

If I am using grease to pack bearings in a 1:1 axle, the reason it is designed for is that when the axle spins, it heats up and viscosity increases to make sure that everything is getting covered in the material to protect the moving parts in that bearing, when it cools down it returns to its original state. Yes I will have to replace it, but not as often and there will be metal breakdown in those parts from natural wear and tear. Most of the time bearing grease also has Graphite or Poly graphite based material, this helps in coating the metal parts, but is definitely not for plastic parts. Graphite isn't good for that purpose because as it heats up, it also fills spaces, some spaces you may not want filled.

Using a heavier joint grease in say lubricating joint area's, wont need that breakdown solvent base. All its job is to do is keep the joint or control points from seizing in metal to metal movement. it heats up, but not as much. it can take more abuse because there are less solvents in its composite design.

So, there you have it.

Rocksmith gearjelly can be used in plastic gears or metal gears, and so far has been safe in plastic housings. The levels of distillates in its mixture is designed for a specific RC purpose. This is because as the gearjelly heats up in movement, the solvent solutions are active and improve viscosity. This also has no ill effect on gears but in fact allows the Rocksmith gearjelly to do what its meant to do. Stick to the gears and provide the maximum protection for the RC application. It was designed to do just that!

Last edited by team3six; 02-23-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
it also fills holes, some holes you may not want filled.

Giggidy.

Nice write-up... I plan to order some on the 1st of Feb... would you be able to get a couple of syringes to include as well?
artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote