Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: any sure fire ways for tire removal/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default any sure fire ways for tire removal/

I've tried boiling and then ito the freezer ... no love there.
As of right now the tires have been hanging above an acetone pool for 16hrs and still no budging.

I would consider baking them but I want to re-use the tires after so I don't want them to distort like sweli's .... is there a magic temperature to stay under?
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Got imaptient andbaked them @ 300 for 17mins .... a soon as I smelled smoke they popped right off ... pulled the foams (which were fine as they were still a bit wet from yesterdays boiling) and then cleaned the excess old glue, popped te tires abck onto the inner beads and into the freezer to try and minimize deformities.
After this i would say 200-250 would be a better temperature to use, if i hant checked the tires when I did, they woud have melted to the cookie sheet. So in future use a lower heat to try and prevent rubber meltdown. I'm hopng the tires wil still be useable for bashing at least since thats wati got this thing for .... I just wanted a dual steer, MOA rig to fart around with.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfrog View Post
Got imaptient andbaked them @ 300 for 17mins .... a soon as I smelled smoke they popped right off ... pulled the foams (which were fine as they were still a bit wet from yesterdays boiling) and then cleaned the excess old glue, popped te tires abck onto the inner beads and into the freezer to try and minimize deformities.
After this i would say 200-250 would be a better temperature to use, if i hant checked the tires when I did, they woud have melted to the cookie sheet. So in future use a lower heat to try and prevent rubber meltdown. I'm hopng the tires wil still be useable for bashing at least since thats wati got this thing for .... I just wanted a dual steer, MOA rig to fart around with.
thanks for the info on the baking process! i was wondering what temp it needed to be.
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yeah, so was I ... so I went with the lowest temperature mentioned in the threads about them. Of course, this was after trying all he other less brutal methods. Holy madness were these suckers really on there!
If you do this sheck them at 15mins and every 30 secs after that, soak them in water before hand because I'm pretty sure that's the only reason the foams weren't shrivelled.
The rims themselves seem a lot less sfter in a lascticy kinda way (but then boiling and heating plasticparts has been done for years for this very reason) .. hopefullythey haven't gotten brittle, but they are noticeably stiffer now. The rubber ... who knows how it'll fare, it's still pretty soft so we'll see. some tread trimming and wheel narrowing are in my future.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I've baked off tires numerous times.

I have some old stampede wheels that have been baked 3 or 4 times with no ill effects.

Set the oven low and go for 10-15 minutes.

You don't have to bake them until the bead pops itself.

Bake them, let them totally cool and the beads will break free with a bit of pressure.

I've never damaged or even came close to melting anything.
ComingApart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #6

One of the tires on my truck was mounted backwards from the factory, so j baked them in my old toaster oven a about 350 degrees, on the baking tray on top of a sheet of wax paper. After about 15 minutes the bead on top just popped right off with little effort. I'd did have to flip them over and pit them back in for a few more minutes to break the other side free.

The tires, wheels, and foams are all perfectly fine after doing it. The foams smelled a bit, but I think it might be in part because they are new. I just sprayed them with Febreeze and they were fine. I haven't glued them back together because I am putting off painting them silver.
3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote