Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: over 5" tire issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #1

Default over 5" tire issues

I have read several threads recommending staying away from tires with a diameter over 5". I can understand the stress on the drivetrain. Any one running a 5.2 or 5.5 tire on their CC? Has it caused any issues? Anyone eve tried the Losi Rock Carver? Those are going for dirt cheap on ebay right now.
MaxxBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
jwo
Rock Crawler

as far as i know, people do run the bigger tires.its more stress on the drivetrain. would be for any. with bigger tires you will get more clodstall.also power would be down due to spinning larger tires. the other i could see is the tires rubbing the shocks easily. ive herd that rock ripper wheels somewhat fix this. they rub a little bit but dont look like they would cause much of an issue.73fordhighboy would be able to give you a bit more info on these wheels. i know he runs these on his cc. there is a seller on ebay that has really good deals on tire packages. ill check that and post back a link for his stuff. he's got tons of tires. i've bought a few sets off him. its always good to save some money. can always spend it on other mods. hope this info helps. if 73fordhighboy doesnt chime in, just send him a pm. im sure he would be happy to give you some input.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
jwo
Rock Crawler

okay well i checked my tire source, he doesnt have as much as he usually does. ill post the link anyways. check on tcs or rpp or even in the vendors section. usually if they got good deals they are posted in there. good luck tire searchin. the one in the link refers to them as stimulus packages. http://shop.ebay.com/trevorstoybox/m....c0.m14&_pgn=1
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm running carvers on stock LCC wheels, I only had an issue with too much weight added... I just needed to remove a lot of the added weights, and I'll test again soon..
artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i really dont know what the diameter of the rover whites i use. i been experimenting with the foam set ups in there, so i dont know the over all diam. they are just a bit shorter than the chisels on my ax10 and thinner than the rovers on my redcat rs10. i sandwiched a cut down stock cliffy foam between some really cut down stock rover foams. by cut down- i made them narrower. so it's like 2/3-1/2 of the stock cliffy foam between 1/4 of an inch stock rovers foam. it sounds wild but they work really well for me.

i did try another set of wheels before i found the rockrippers. i tried with some proline 8 shooters. they rubbed real badly. plus the rockrippers actually made the cliffy a tad wider than the axial. good for the side hill action.

as for being hard on the driveline- axles- yeah i rec. all metal gears. pretty much the standard for any cliffy trying to get up stuff i dont have any weight in my wheels. just alot of foam tuning. i did cut 2 holes in the wheels,
like lowering tire pressure. i am very happy with it now. sorta, need to put another fxr in there.
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote