Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Can I run lipo without cutoff switch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Can I run lipo without cutoff switch?

I believe my ESC (Moped VR16) has no Lipo cutoff.

Can I run Lipo without cutoff switch?
I know the negative effect of running a lipo cell below 3V.
But can a human being easily tell if a 2cell lipo (7.4V) dropped to about 6V by the performance of the crawler?

Thanks,

DDT
MonsterDDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

Yes you can. You should notice the drop in power, then unplug!!!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I had a brushless E-Maxx that I ran Lipo's on w/o a cut-off. You could definately tell when the power dropped. About a 70% drop in speed. I never ruined a pack on it. It might be harder to tell in a crawler not sure. But I ran them on crawlers w/o cut-off, but never even close to draining the full pack.
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

No LVC is a bad idea. EVERY customer that I have had that hasn't used one has had an issue or 2 regarding not using one. Dont cut corners on Electric RC. You pay good money to play with good electronics, treat em' good or your just throwing money down the drain.

And NO... No matter how much someone thinks he can stop the lipo before it's hurt, thats not the case. When the pack is under load is when the LVC trips. I have customers that say they pull in and check the voltage. A pack can read higher than 3v nominal, but still be hurt...

Last edited by Chris_The_Battery_Man; 09-11-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I like the electronics companies....they are more worried about scaring us into buying over priced electronics than helping the consumer.

If Cheap Battery Packs or any other company wanted to help Lipo users they would offer an affordable and easy to install unit. I'm talking $10 or less and simple plug and play without soldering.

Heck if they really cared, they'd be installing them in/on the batteries.

They do care...about profit.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

buy novaks cutoff setup its cheap and it works.Don't risk without it
speedemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #7

Default Low Voltage Indicators

I use an LED indicator that plugs into the Balance connector of the LiPo, with velcro to mount it in a visible location. Its really small, about 1/3 the size of a postage stamp! You may need an extension harness for your balance plug to get it into a good location.
There are also some audible LV indicators available now too.
Works great for me on all my non LVC speed controls.
I ordered mine from Hobbycity.com. Takes about 10 days for shipping but the products seem to be very solid.

Model # HXT Lipo Monitor 3S
MrEprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

It is already too late before operator can tell that a lipo is low voltage. An accurate timing of the run may be a good indicator , but that depends on the average current being the same as it was on all previous runs and that the battery was up to snuff at the start. Even with timing the run it is very easy to run below minimum voltage without even knowing it.

Possibly a certain set-up or certain homo-errectous can be able to tell exactly when to stop.
floogldood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I like the electronics companies....they are more worried about scaring us into buying over priced electronics than helping the consumer.

If Cheap Battery Packs or any other company wanted to help Lipo users they would offer an affordable and easy to install unit. I'm talking $10 or less and simple plug and play without soldering.

Heck if they really cared, they'd be installing them in/on the batteries.

They do care...about profit.

There is no market for doing an LVC externally unless your a compant selling ESC's considering Lipos were made to be used in an application that already has the LVC built in the ESC in the first place. Thats the way it has been done for years.

If your already paying alot for a lipo capable charger and lipo batteries, then what is another 20 bucks or just paying the little extra to get the right ESC? Soldering is part of the hobby.

I have seen too many people try to save a buck and cut corners and it always ends up them spending more money to replace ruined stuff than to just buy the right stuff in the first place.

If you dont want to run an LVC the dont use lipo... Nimh is your friend at that point.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
There is no market for doing an LVC externally unless your a compant selling ESC's considering Lipos were made to be used in an application that already has the LVC built in the ESC in the first place. Thats the way it has been done for years.

If your already paying alot for a lipo capable charger and lipo batteries, then what is another 20 bucks or just paying the little extra to get the right ESC? Soldering is part of the hobby.

I have seen too many people try to save a buck and cut corners and it always ends up them spending more money to replace ruined stuff than to just buy the right stuff in the first place.

If you dont want to run an LVC the dont use lipo... Nimh is your friend at that point.
Or just dont run the LVC and who cares...... maybe your rig will catch on fire and burn to the ground due to not buying "all" the parts you really need. I mean you wanker fits in a meat grinder right????? Good idea to put it there??? Donno Ill leave that one up to you. Burn the car down and put it on youtube
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:36 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
I mean you wanker fits in a meat grinder right?????
holy crap thats funny, thanks for the new sig man, if you cant spend $20 on a lipo cut off then how can you afford the lipo in the first place. come on now people use your noggin
supercrawlerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrawlerfreak View Post
holy crap thats funny, thanks for the new sig man, if you cant spend $20 on a lipo cut off then how can you afford the lipo in the first place. come on now people use your noggin

You would be supprised... At the LHS I cover at from time to time, I will see guys every so often that come in, blow their last buck on parts or have to come back after they trade in some soda cans... In the mean-while their kid is hungry in the car
Old 09-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs down

Quote:
You would be supprised... At the LHS I cover at from time to time, I will see guys every so often that come in, blow their last buck on parts or have to come back after they trade in some soda cans... In the mean-while their kid is hungry in the car

that is sad
jombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Hey leave my dog and my kid alone LMFAO
im just kidding no kids, dog yes but no kids
i agree for 20 bucks come on
nmanuel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I have not ran a cut off on any of my lipo's in crawlers.. the ones I run is scalers never get discharged to the cutoff point anyway.. and the dropoff is noticeable. if you keep driving once you loose power you deserve to have it burn up

if I was selling LVC I would most certainly tell you that it was needed
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Agreed. That's like spending $10K mod'ing out your Porsche for the track and then bitching 'cause that 5-point harness and helmet cost $1000.

I understand wanting to save a few buck here and there, but if you're really that conserned about costs, you shouldn't have bought that $80+ battery. That's one reason why I HAVEN'T gone LiPo yet, I don't want to spend the moeny. But when(IF) I do, I'll surely buy $20 worth of piece of mind for the LVC...
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
Agreed. That's like spending $10K mod'ing out your Porsche for the track and then bitching 'cause that 5-point harness and helmet cost $1000.
No those are required for running on a track...bad example.

$10K. So That $1K in personal safety equipment is only 10% of the cost.

Using that you can see an $80 battery would only need an $8 LVC.

As I stated, its nothing more than electronics companies only personally caring about their PROFIT, they don't honestly care about you.

I've run good quality (probably the best) Team Orion packs in my Slash (no LVC) and never had an issue. I also run a MF2 with the same packs, and have a LVC built into the ESC. I get plenty of time before that LVC hits, I just time the same on my Slash. Slash stock will not pull as much as fast as a MF2 with a 8.5 Brushless.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #18

i just check my 2 cell 7.4v 1320 with a volt meter so when i get down to about 6 volts i just recharge it run time for me are about and hour hour an a half.... running 55t novak have rooster esc (being sent it to get fixed)but im runnin at the moment a XL5 for now and i have spektrum, edge chassis, took the shocks off my 8th scale buggy and put internal springs in works fine for now...
pipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

As I stated, its nothing more than electronics companies only personally caring about their PROFIT, they don't honestly care about you.

I've run good quality (probably the best) Team Orion packs in my Slash (no LVC) and never had an issue. I also run a MF2 with the same packs, and have a LVC built into the ESC. I get plenty of time before that LVC hits, I just time the same on my Slash. Slash stock will not pull as much as fast as a MF2 with a 8.5 Brushless.
Whats the complaint about making profit for? That doesn't make much sense. Without profit, how are companies supposed to pay their bills and feed their families? Why would anyone want to work for free so you can save a buck to be able to play with your RC car? It's not like an LVC is a 50 cent item and they're selling it for 20 bucks...

Pipster... You can still ruin a pack by testing it by it's nominal voltage. It's when the pack is under load that matters, and that you cant just guess.

Last edited by Chris_The_Battery_Man; 09-12-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #20
Built, not bought

Quote:

Are you truly this stupid?It seems that a good share of your posts are nothing more than drivel poorly disguised as knowledge.If companies don't make some kind of profit,why be in business?I don't feel that the advice Chris has given has been just so he can profit.Somebody asked a question about lipos and he answered it.I would rather take the advice of someone that deals in the product than someone who doesn't.At this point I don't run lipos but,you can be sure that when I do,I'll be listening to the people that have the experience.
Pat

P.S. How do you like me now?
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote