Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: which of these 2 servos should i get

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default which of these 2 servos should i get

same price and they may be same servo just rebadged I don't know for sure.
which one any recomendations or input. budget is $90 and thats what they both cost.
Hitec HS-7955TG
or
hobbico CS-170 Titanium Geared Ultra Torque Dual BB
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Keep it real

Go with the Hitec
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Are going to run this in a 2.2 rig? and are you running a BEC? are you going to run it at 4.8v or 6.0v These are questions that are probably going to be asked. I'm not too sure if they are the same, but I am in the same delima. Everyone is telling me to go with a Hi-Tec.
towtruckmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

2.2 rig. only running my moped esc right now and it has built in 5v bec. eventually going to get a new esc but the moped is working great for right now. prob going to get the hitec now just got to get a aluminum servo horn for it as I have only a futaba alum. horn right now and I'm sure the spline are different so it wont work.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Keep it real

The CS170 is a knockoff of the Hitec. The 7955 comes with an aluminum horn as well as plastic ones. I have been running mine with the plastic horn for about a month now with no issues on a heavy 2.2 rig.

What servo were you running before? Both of these would most likely overload the moped BEC.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Tanis, I bought the CC 10amp BEC, saving money for the 7955 servo, running a Novak crawler esc and soon a goat, also going to bump the bec up to put 6.0 v to the steering servo. Do you see any problems with this set-up?

Dont mean to hijack this thread but in the same delima
Old 12-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

am running crappy towardpro 996. actually on my 2nd 996 and have had enough of it . so I wouldn't be able to use either servo with my moped esc at all. can you wire up a bec to the moped if I were to get the castle bec. just don't have enough $$$ to drop on a good servo and esc right now
Old 12-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by towtruckmikey View Post
Tanis, I bought the CC 10amp BEC, saving money for the 7955 servo, running a Novak crawler esc and soon a goat, also going to bump the bec up to put 6.0 v to the steering servo. Do you see any problems with this set-up?

Dont mean to hijack this thread but in the same delima
The Novak ESC's have a strong enough internal BEC, that you don't need to run an external BEC, unless you really want to. No problems, just if you do run the CCBEC, pull the red wire from the ESC harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
am running crappy towardpro 996. actually on my 2nd 996 and have had enough of it . so I wouldn't be able to use either servo with my moped esc at all. can you wire up a bec to the moped if I were to get the castle bec. just don't have enough $$$ to drop on a good servo and esc right now
You can run the CCBEC with the Moped, just need to pull the red wire from the Moped harness
Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Whats the Novak crawler esc putting out to the steering servo? do you know Tanis.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #10
MODERHATER™

Novak knows!!

http://teamnovak.com/products/esc/18...ler/index.html
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

6volts for the rooster crawler internal bec
Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

So I think I might go ahead and order the hitec and see how it reacts with the moped. and start saving for either a rooster crawler or sidewinder. still up in the air on those 2 as well. Or should I go for the rooster crawler esc first and then save for the servo 2nd. My problem is sometimes when i'm in a bind and cranking on the towardpro996 everything just shuts down untill I release the tension on the wheels/servo. so Is the towardpro overloading my moped right now and shutting it down for thermal protection. when this happens I have no power to servo or throttle

Last edited by discgolferlee; 12-02-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
MODERHATER™

If I was you run the Moped till it dies, and get a CC BEC and a Sidewinder when you get a chance.

What radio are you using?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

i'm using spektrum dx3.0 7 cells nimh split pack,integy 55t

So will the hitec servo shut down my moped even more since it's more powerful than the towardpro. Sorry so many questions just don't want to get the nice hitec and then have it shut down my moped every 10 seconds lol. maybe get the servo and the bec now and see if it helps with the shutting down.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I would go ahead and get a CC Bec when you get the new servo.
Run the Moped until you decide which ESC to get.
Your gonna end up using the CC BEC with any ESC in the end anyways.
redrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #16
MODERHATER™

The Hitec will shut down your Spektrum not the Moped, and I bet thats why you were experiencing shutdown issues before, Spektrums are sensitive to that kind of amperage drain. You need to isolate the servo power drain from the reciever using either a BEC or a reciever pack.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

alright so I think I am going to get the hitec and ccbec. does the ccbec come with any instructions on wiring. I think I have an idea and/or seen some wiring diagrams on here before.Thanks ALLOT!!!!!! for all the answers guys. ran my first comp monday.. well sort of a mini comp but got to last gate of last course and was leading the whole schebang and not even in a really hard bind and all of a sudden the truck just freezes. so The servo was either overloading the moped or the spektrum rx. I ended up taking 2nd but was bummed because I had it wrapped up untill that malfunction.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
The CS170 is a knockoff of the Hitec. The 7955 comes with an aluminum horn as well as plastic ones. I have been running mine with the plastic horn for about a month now with no issues on a heavy 2.2 rig.

What servo were you running before? Both of these would most likely overload the moped BEC.

The CS-170 is a hitec 5995 TG . They sold when they started making 7955 TG Its all there old servos. 7955 TG servos are all new smoother more torque and faster.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #19
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
The CS-170 is a hitec 5995 TG . They sold when they started making 7955 TG Its all there old servos. 7955 TG servos are all new smoother more torque and faster.
Are Hitec and Hobbico the same company?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
alright so I think I am going to get the hitec and ccbec. does the ccbec come with any instructions on wiring. I think I have an idea and/or seen some wiring diagrams on here before.Thanks ALLOT!!!!!! for all the answers guys. ran my first comp monday.. well sort of a mini comp but got to last gate of last course and was leading the whole schebang and not even in a really hard bind and all of a sudden the truck just freezes. so The servo was either overloading the moped or the spektrum rx. I ended up taking 2nd but was bummed because I had it wrapped up untill that malfunction.
The CC BEC will solve your shutting down issue for sure.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote